Login to ZARP
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: [Server Suggestion] SCP: Secret Laboratory

[Server Suggestion] SCP: Secret Laboratory 4 years 4 months ago #1182916

I've added a poll for you guys to vote on.

Also, the Community Team was generous enough to welcome me in the next CM team meeting to present the server via a Powerpoint presentation. Also, the SCP: SL server has been fully set, all ranks and permissions have been adjusted accordingly and the server is ready to be played on.
  • Mr. Richard
  • Former Community Manager
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • Thanks received: 5418
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Mr. Richard.
Login or register to post a reply.

[Server Suggestion] SCP: Secret Laboratory 4 years 4 months ago #1182933

Just make a vanilla ark server so I can build Jurassic park
  • A Good Pianist
  • Spectacular Boarder
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • A Wob A Bob Bob
  • Thanks received: 3914

[Server Suggestion] SCP: Secret Laboratory 4 years 4 months ago #1182990

Clarky wrote:
Markus Chellwigg wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Markus Chellwigg wrote:
daantje1251 wrote:
Yesss, i have been waiting for this for a long time. Only the rules should be a bit changed like mic spam shoudn’t be allowed in spectator mode or via radio/intercom. For the rest it’s good :plussp:
Mate mic spamming over the intercom is one of the best things to do in SCP:SL. Removing that would just be to constricting imo
you'd also be ruining the game for people who actually want to play it though??
Talking over the intercom isnt ruining the game at all. Its part of the main fun when playing SCP:SL. Its not the kind of game for hard RP, its a game you have general fun with player interactions.
You'd expect people from zarp to not earrape the shit out of people? ahahahaha

If you just add the rule "dont be a cunt" then you can just make your own rules, ez peasy lemon my squeezy.
  • Orang3
  • Gold Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • I'm orange...
  • Thanks received: 431

Max: "I will never be CM banned feel free to quote this in the future"

[Server Suggestion] SCP: Secret Laboratory 4 years 4 months ago #1183609

If you want to have an SCP server, I strongly suggest you work on your attitude because it was appalling when myself and Xnator was speaking to you. You're acting like we're so against idea which we WASN'T but you saying it took you an hour to complete the server is beyond ridiculous which is why we asked how do the plugins work, what coding language are they coded in but you had zero idea and kept dodging the question until we had to find out for ourselves which just shows you don't have a single idea on what the hell you're even doing.

Why am I posting this on the forums you may ask? To prevent you from being so snarky about it to others, don't go around and ruin others reputation because this is literally on you, none of us.

Oh and if you're wondering what brought me to posting this here you go:

• Clarky
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • I love Henny
  • Thanks received: 9536

[Server Suggestion] SCP: Secret Laboratory 4 years 4 months ago #1183616

Clarky wrote:
If you want to have an SCP server, I strongly suggest you work on your attitude because it was appalling when myself and Xnator was speaking to you. You're acting like we're so against idea which we WASN'T but you saying it took you an hour to complete the server is beyond ridiculous which is why we asked how do the plugins work, what coding language are they coded in but you had zero idea and kept dodging the question until we had to find out for ourselves which just shows you don't have a single idea on what the hell you're even doing.

Why am I posting this on the forums you may ask? To prevent you from being so snarky about it to others, don't go around and ruin others reputation because this is literally on you, none of us.

Sounds like you guys tried to interrogate him out of it lol, why would he be expected to know the answers to questions like “what language are the plugins coded in”. If the server works and can be improved then what’s the issue? From the start of this post you come across as extremely negative with every reply you make bringing up further potential issues. I don’t know what issue you have with this server but everyone can see clearly that you are against it and for no apparent reason. Also you mentioned that he has to “work on his attitude” but that screenshot shows only a fairly passive expression of his reduction in motivation, which appears to be caused entirely by you and Xnator.
  • Denis
  • Diamond Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 1368

[Server Suggestion] SCP: Secret Laboratory 4 years 4 months ago #1183620

Denis wrote:
Clarky wrote:

Sounds like you guys tried to interrogate him out of it lol, why would he be expected to know the answers to questions like “what language are the plugins coded in”. If the server works and can be improved then what’s the issue? From the start of this post you come across as extremely negative with every reply you make bringing up further potential issues. I don’t know what issue you have with this server but everyone can see clearly that you are against it and for no apparent reason. Also you mentioned that he has to “work on his attitude” but that screenshot shows only a fairly passive expression of his reduction in motivation, which appears to be caused entirely by you and Xnator.
We never tried to interrogate him out of it at all, we was actually trying to look into the potential of making the server better than what it can be. At first I was a bit skeptical and later thought it might work out let's see what are the possibilities are because I've never played or ran a server on SCP, Richard seemed that he knew and said his server was "ready" within an hour which I highly doubt that it would be in a ready state which then lead to me and Xnator to see what extra stuff he has going on the server which Richard didn't really have answer for. We wasn't hostile, interrogating or anything towards him, we had plenty of questions to ask but most of them were constantly being dodged until me and Xnator had to do our own research since Richard just didn't have a clue by the looks of it and was getting irritated for some reason. It's best to know what you're doing with a server first than just whacking it on, we like to make sure things are working correctly and have potential plugins and such which is something the developers could work on in the future if the server is actually properly planned out.
  • Clarky
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • I love Henny

[Server Suggestion] SCP: Secret Laboratory 4 years 4 months ago #1183621

Clarky wrote:
Denis wrote:
Clarky wrote:

We never tried to interrogate him out of it at all, we was actually trying to look into the potential of making the server better than what it can be. At first I was a bit skeptical and later thought it might work out let's see what are the possibilities are because I've never played or ran a server on SCP, Richard seemed that he knew and said his server was "ready" within an hour which I highly doubt that it would be in a ready state which then lead to me and Xnator to see what extra stuff he has going on the server which Richard didn't really have answer for. We wasn't hostile, interrogating or anything towards him, we had plenty of questions to ask but most of them were constantly being dodged until me and Xnator had to do our own research since Richard just didn't have a clue by the looks of it and was getting irritated for some reason. It's best to know what you're doing with a server first than just whacking it on, we like to make sure things are working correctly and have potential plugins and such which is something the developers could work on in the future if the server is actually properly planned out.
Oh right I understand a bit better now, it appeared to me like you were being overly critical of the idea due to your slight aggression in the previous reply you made. It makes sense to want to understand how everything works properly, I hope you guys can find a way to ensure this goes through in that case since it is clear there is a lot of community support behind it.

Good luck guys
  • Denis
  • Diamond Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 1368
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clarky, Mr. Richard

[Server Suggestion] SCP: Secret Laboratory 4 years 4 months ago #1183631

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

No one's reputation was ruined, as I had not said anything bad about any of the Community Team members, to anyone. And the message you are now sharing publically was edited with a good reason, a reason not to cause any inconvenience and spark arguments, because I knew others would perceive it differently (like you are now), and I find it quite unsuitable and unprofessional that you came here, to the Forums, and made this seem like some kind of big deal, even though nothing bad or wrong was said, but I'll get to that later.

The "conversation" we had on TeamSpeak was more of an interrogation and less of a conversation if I'm being honest, and I felt extremely uncomfortable, all the way till the end, hence why I didn't even want to show up in the CM meeting in Sunday evening, because God knows how awful that would have ended up. Based on your approach, tone, and questions, you guys did quite seem against the idea, as well as slightly aggressive. That's pretty much the reason I was nervous and kept repeating myself constantly and failed to keep up with the questions you were asking me and was even mumbling at some points during our discussion.

Put yourself in my shoes and comprehend the situation from my perspective, not really pleasant, is it?

I don't know what was going on with you guys, what your intentions were nor what you had inside your minds at the time, but from my point of view, the conversation was completely different than you think. TheXnator had some very good points, especially the "Plugins", "Addons" and "Uniqueness" ones, I was listening quite well, and agreed with most of them, I tried to respond with a constructive reply, but due to the reason(s) mentioned in the previous paragraph, I couldn't as I was quite nervous. The good points that he made were the reasoning behind what I said in that image, as I was unable to do anything, due to my lack of knowledge when it comes to CSharp. What's the point of presenting a server to you when most of the things you mentioned do not satisfy the (let's call them) "standards", that you expect from a ZARP server, right?

The server does take less than an hour to start up and set the ranks, that's a fact, but when it comes to addons/plugins, that's something completely else. There aren't many "things" that you can implement into the game, hence why I was repeating that you can't make the server as "unique" as you want it to be, yes, stuff can be developed, but I'm not a person for the job when it comes to such stuff, but I know several people with the knowledge required to assist me in this project. Almost all servers/communities are the same, they usually don't have any additions that make them unique, making the servers equal to all others, as well as the server I was suggesting for ZARP. Hence why other servers wouldn't be better than ZARP's, and the other way around.

I hope I cleared up the situation and made it more clear as to how it looked like from angle, and I apologies that we ever had to come to this point, this isn't something I wanted to happen...
  • Mr. Richard
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregoryTWIX

[Server Suggestion] SCP: Secret Laboratory 4 years 4 months ago #1183634

Clarky wrote:
Denis wrote:
Clarky wrote:

To clarify a bit better what richard ment with "the server was raedy" this was ment to indicate that it was up and running with all the permission handed out already. To come back onto the plugins thing, Richard couldnt really work on it due to smod not being up to date atm. There was a huge update a week ago or so, which made the mod outdated. Richard tried to work with what he had, I'll just hope that the CM team thinks about it a second time, once Smod has been updated again and Richard can start putting extra stuff on the server
  • TheRealNepgear
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • I guess I am a weeb
  • Thanks received: 393
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by TheRealNepgear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. Richard

[Server Suggestion] SCP: Secret Laboratory 4 years 4 months ago #1183638

TheRealNepgear wrote:
Clarky wrote:
Denis wrote:
Clarky wrote:

To clarify a bit better what richard ment with "the server was raedy" this was ment to indicate that it was up and running with all the permission handed out already. To come back onto the plugins thing, Richard couldnt really work on it due to smod not being up to date atm. There was a huge update a week ago or so, which made the mod outdated. Richard tried to work with what he had, I'll just hope that the CM team thinks about it a second time, once Smod has been updated again and Richard can start putting extra stuff on the server
We're happy to consider the server and not against it especially when the community highly supports it we take that into consideration as a big factor, we just want extra work being put into it and I understand plugins have been breaking because of a recent update, give it time for people to fix them or even send them to the current devs for them to look into and potentially fixed but like I said time is very limited at the moment so it'll take a long time
  • Clarky
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • I love Henny

[Server Suggestion] SCP: Secret Laboratory 4 years 4 months ago #1183640

I honestly think branching out to multiple games is one of the smartest things to do now a days considering the community is some what populated. BRING IN MORE PLAYERS! pls ;)
  • Jonsey
  • Expert Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Kissing Girls is GEI
  • Thanks received: 93

[Server Suggestion] SCP: Secret Laboratory 4 years 4 months ago #1183662

The API was updated within 2 days of the update, which I found with a couple of quick Google searches and checking the Github page for the addon (given that Richard isn't a developer, I wouldn't really expect him to think of checking the Github page, but given the desire to create and own a server, I would expect a little more effort to be put in).

The last thing that we want is for any drama to be started or for anyone to feel less motivated to work in the community, although we do also want to keep things realistic, as I know from experience that starting work on a server and spending hours working on it only then to find out that the idea itself is not going to be considered is a lot worse than having a realistic expectation from the start.

To clarify, the reason that I was quite shocked when we spoke with Richard about this was the manner that I was met with when I was trying to work out what was going on. As someone who created 2 servers from scratch which got added to ZARP, has owned every Pointshop server besides BHOP at some point and has tried to create a few other servers which never came to fruition, it is quite frustrating for someone to say "oh yeah I've done this in an hour and it's ready to present / release" (It was stated by Richard that the server was ready for release in ZARP itself, not just a raw setup). Of course, I wanted to be sure that the idea had been given the appropriate levels of thought and that the people who wanted to own it were going to be capable of doing so. We want our servers to be able to stand out against those of other communities, and so when the person making the suggestion itself says directly that you "cannot add much to the game" and that "it would just be a generic server but it would get players because we have players in the community", it comes across that this is simply an attempt to take advantage of an easy route to owning a server (and it doesn't work this way at all).

We want to see unique servers which have had time and effort put into them to create the best experience possible, making the server itself stand out from other servers. A suggestion post itself, as such, should always include some of the key unique features that will be on the server - as this is not a gmod server, there isn't the Pointshop to make the server more unique, so even more thought and time would have to go into it in this case. The excuse that it is "impossible" to do so does not hold true, as my research into this led me to finding a whole array of existing plugins for servers, and an updated API (for C#) which opens up a whole range of opportunities. Given that Richard is not a developer, we would obviously not expect him to create custom and unique features, but we would expect someone who wants to own a server to be able to come up with ideas which could then be worked on by one of the existing developers in the community with knowledge of the language (given that this is C#, that would be myself, Chute, DEAD or uzi) or for someone else to be taken onto the project to work on things like this.

All in all, we're probably not going to be expanding out into more new games at the current time, given that we are already planning to release a server on a new game (TF2) and have some other stuff in the works. Given that this season is also the busiest time for the CM Team around updates and holidays, we really just don't have the time to reliably oversee such a project currently, unless a specific CM Team member or existing Server Owner were interested in taking a lead and helping a project like this to be completed properly. Of course, this doesn't rule out new ideas for the future at all, and we can always put ideas for new servers onto our backlog to work on and oversee once we do have the time.

Hopefully this helps you to understand our viewpoint a bit better and anyone else who is a bit confused on the matter. This isn't to say this can't happen or that we're ruling it out, just that a lot of time will need to be put into coming up with some ideas for it to really make it stand out. If you do wish to continue working on this, then I wish you the best of luck.
  • TheXnator
  • Former Owner
  • "Save the tears for when we win!"
  • Thanks received: 4300
Discord: thexnator

Former Community Owner: 2020-2022
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spectrum, Jim_Jam, Mr. Richard

[Server Suggestion] SCP: Secret Laboratory 4 years 4 months ago #1183664

TheXnator wrote:

The API was updated within 2 days of the update, which I found with a couple of quick Google searches and checking the Github page for the addon (given that Richard isn't a developer, I wouldn't really expect him to think of checking the Github page, but given the desire to create and own a server, I would expect a little more effort to be put in).

The last thing that we want is for any drama to be started or for anyone to feel less motivated to work in the community, although we do also want to keep things realistic, as I know from experience that starting work on a server and spending hours working on it only then to find out that the idea itself is not going to be considered is a lot worse than having a realistic expectation from the start.

To clarify, the reason that I was quite shocked when we spoke with Richard about this was the manner that I was met with when I was trying to work out what was going on. As someone who created 2 servers from scratch which got added to ZARP, has owned every Pointshop server besides BHOP at some point and has tried to create a few other servers which never came to fruition, it is quite frustrating for someone to say "oh yeah I've done this in an hour and it's ready to present / release" (It was stated by Richard that the server was ready for release in ZARP itself, not just a raw setup). Of course, I wanted to be sure that the idea had been given the appropriate levels of thought and that the people who wanted to own it were going to be capable of doing so. We want our servers to be able to stand out against those of other communities, and so when the person making the suggestion itself says directly that you "cannot add much to the game" and that "it would just be a generic server but it would get players because we have players in the community", it comes across that this is simply an attempt to take advantage of an easy route to owning a server (and it doesn't work this way at all).

We want to see unique servers which have had time and effort put into them to create the best experience possible, making the server itself stand out from other servers. A suggestion post itself, as such, should always include some of the key unique features that will be on the server - as this is not a gmod server, there isn't the Pointshop to make the server more unique, so even more thought and time would have to go into it in this case. The excuse that it is "impossible" to do so does not hold true, as my research into this led me to finding a whole array of existing plugins for servers, and an updated API (for C#) which opens up a whole range of opportunities. Given that Richard is not a developer, we would obviously not expect him to create custom and unique features, but we would expect someone who wants to own a server to be able to come up with ideas which could then be worked on by one of the existing developers in the community with knowledge of the language (given that this is C#, that would be myself, Chute, DEAD or uzi) or for someone else to be taken onto the project to work on things like this.

All in all, we're probably not going to be expanding out into more new games at the current time, given that we are already planning to release a server on a new game (TF2) and have some other stuff in the works. Given that this season is also the busiest time for the CM Team around updates and holidays, we really just don't have the time to reliably oversee such a project currently, unless a specific CM Team member or existing Server Owner were interested in taking a lead and helping a project like this to be completed properly. Of course, this doesn't rule out new ideas for the future at all, and we can always put ideas for new servers onto our backlog to work on and oversee once we do have the time.

Hopefully this helps you to understand our viewpoint a bit better and anyone else who is a bit confused on the matter. This isn't to say this can't happen or that we're ruling it out, just that a lot of time will need to be put into coming up with some ideas for it to really make it stand out. If you do wish to continue working on this, then I wish you the best of luck.
I'm sure most people don't want the server to "stand out" from other servers, vanilla SCP is amazing and that is the best way to play the game.
I'm *assuming* that Richard did not suggest this because he wants to own the server and I think he doesn't even care if he won't owe it, and he said that he set it up within 1 hour because well, he did.
You don't need anything else other than the "raw" state of the server, that's SCP.
  • Tamaninja
  • Gold Boarder
  • wag1
  • Thanks received: 3821
The following user(s) said Thank You: Micky, Mr. Richard

[Server Suggestion] SCP: Secret Laboratory 4 years 4 months ago #1183668

Well while the vanilla gamemode is already great and fun to play, adding stuff to it would further enhance the server and might make it a bit more appealing to other people, especially when the server is new. Why would anyone(not including the people in this community) join a server that has a low player base in this game, if they can have the same thing(the base game) on a different Server with more people or even experience better things on other Servers.
  • TheRealNepgear
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • I guess I am a weeb

[Server Suggestion] SCP: Secret Laboratory 4 years 4 months ago #1183678

TheRealNepgear wrote:

Well while the vanilla gamemode is already great and fun to play, adding stuff to it would further enhance the server and might make it a bit more appealing to other people, especially when the server is new. Why would anyone(not including the people in this community) join a server that has a low player base in this game, if they can have the same thing(the base game) on a different Server with more people or even experience better things on other Servers.
For me and alot of people I know, custom content is a major turnoff, and the only thing that makes a server good is no bullshit rules like not allowing to troll and stuff like that.
  • Tamaninja
  • Gold Boarder
  • wag1
  • Thanks received: 3821
The following user(s) said Thank You: Micky

[Server Suggestion] SCP: Secret Laboratory 4 years 4 months ago #1183679

Tamaninja wrote:
TheRealNepgear wrote:

For me and alot of people I know, custom content is a major turnoff, and the only thing that makes a server good is no bullshit rules like not allowing to troll and stuff like that.
  • Markus
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 1637
Former:
SSRP Superadmin
Community Council Creator (May it rest in piece)
Prophunt Moderator
BHOP Moderator

[Server Suggestion] SCP: Secret Laboratory 4 years 4 months ago #1183688

Markus Chellwigg wrote:
Tamaninja wrote:
TheRealNepgear wrote:

• Thepizzacat
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 16

[Server Suggestion] SCP: Secret Laboratory 4 years 4 months ago #1183691

Huperchild wrote:
Thepizzacat wrote:
Markus Chellwigg wrote:
Tamaninja wrote:
TheRealNepgear wrote:

So all of ya dont wish to have like tweaked setting on what people spawn with and nothing. OK good to know
  • TheRealNepgear
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • I guess I am a weeb
The following user(s) said Thank You: Killa Kappa

[Server Suggestion] SCP: Secret Laboratory 4 years 4 months ago #1184190

This all sounds like a lot of fun, after reading this whole post a few days ago I meant to leave my opinion about it, but just forgot because i downloaded SCP:SL and couldn't stop playing it, im not the best at it and dont fully understand it but it was pretty fun, and i think having a zarp server for this would be sick, it would benefit the community because players that mainly play TTT, might like SCP as well, and SSRP players might play SCP as well, and then the two communities are more familiar with each other, or they just go toxic and spit at u for playing SSRP, but again, this all sounds like a good idea to me, i just have one question, would the server be on the real SCP:SL steam game, or would it be on gmod?
  • Lefty.
  • Legendary Member
  • Legendary Member
  • Thanks received: 1811

Signed by:
ronaldmarc2009
CEO of Business
jutsu ballah
JoshuaIsGreat (not racist)
names will now end here due to banishment

[Server Suggestion] SCP: Secret Laboratory 4 years 4 months ago #1184191

Hiro. wrote:
This all sounds like a lot of fun, after reading this whole post a few days ago I meant to leave my opinion about it, but just forgot because i downloaded SCP:SL and couldn't stop playing it, im not the best at it and dont fully understand it but it was pretty fun, and i think having a zarp server for this would be sick, it would benefit the community because players that mainly play TTT, might like SCP as well, and SSRP players might play SCP as well, and then the two communities are more familiar with each other, or they just go toxic and spit at u for playing SSRP, but again, this all sounds like a good idea to me, i just have one question, would the server be on the real SCP:SL steam game, or would it be on gmod?

The verdict of my previous suggestion and the suggestion itself should answer your question.
  • Mr. Richard
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
Moderators: MadMagic, Kanna.
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds

152 PLAYERS ONLINE

Connect to server View Gametracker DarkRP 1
7/127
Connect to server View Gametracker Deathrun
0/40