Login to ZARP
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Your opinion

Your opinion 7 years 10 months ago #337650

I'm not going to give my opinion on the subject, but I want to see what you guys respond to the following question:

How should a staff member act?

Or break it down into smaller questions like; what should their attitude be to rulebreakers, what makes a good staff member, etc. Just make sure it answers the original staff member.

Let's not jump on the bandwagon of bashing staff members or whatever, I just want to hear what you guys perceive as the best way to act for a staff member.

EDIT:

This is general staffing, so this attitude applies to all servers.
  • stratiic
  • User is blocked
  • ZARP VIP
  • spitting in your mum's twat
  • Thanks received: 1452
Last Edit: 7 years 10 months ago by stratiic.
Login or register to post a reply.

Your opinion 7 years 10 months ago #337653

Someone that follows the rules, enforces them, can separate friendship and staff duties, but has a unique and fun personality that can get along with the users in a way others can't.
  • Morgan
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • Thanks received: 6527

Legendary Spectacular Border
MAL

Your opinion 7 years 10 months ago #337655

A staff member, in my opinion, should try to remain calm at all times, be respectful even when being disrespected, should try to be mature, and fairly deal with rulebreakers e.g giving out the same punishment to two people who break the same rules.
So basically the opposite of me
  • SorIe
  • Marvelous Boarder
  • Thanks received: 4290

ex-dog LT member on many servers

Your opinion 7 years 10 months ago #337657

a staff member shouldn't backstab everyone else just for super admin
  • Hoi
  • Gold Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 513

Thank you Nexize for VIP

Resigned Global moderator, TTT/DarkRP Admin
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScorpionOnAcid, Blocked, SorIe

Your opinion 7 years 10 months ago #337658

Not following the falsehood of the correct staff member criteria.
  • Studio Banter
  • Marvelous Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • ❤️
  • Thanks received: 5848
Last Edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Studio Banter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SorIe

Your opinion 7 years 10 months ago #337670

A Staff member should act professional and respectful to the community, a staff member should never discriminate or hurt another. a staff member should let the players speak and listen to them, a staff member should always ask for advice if he needs.
  • Newdude
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 737
Ex - Deathrun SuperAdmin
Ex - Jailbreak SuperAdmin
Ex - Teamspeak Staff

Your opinion 7 years 10 months ago #337674

My opinion.

Staff member must not favor any side he is there simply to stay calm and decide if the accused did break a rule and if he has enough evidence to warn him, in case he does warn him explain to him what he did wrong.

Staying calm in all situations is a must for a staff member, there is nothing more annoying than a squeaky mod yelling at a rule breaker. (no offence to all who's voice has not mutated yet)

Scammers in the staff team, now i'm not accusing anyone but i have heard a staff member on duty scammed someone now again not saying names but this is unacceptable.

But to be honest being a staff member is hard and the f1's that you have to deal with sometimes make you want to kill someone so staff members have my respect and thank you for keeping the community clean.
  • BigQuattro
  • Senior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Minecraft Moderator, Ex-SSRP Moderator
  • Thanks received: 40

Your opinion 7 years 10 months ago #337681

Proffesionalism isn't key, confidence is when handeling F1's. When you have childs crying in F1 you must be ready to take multiple punches a day from immature people. Most resign because they're too weak and gets smashed on too quickly (myself included).
  • catboy sven ツ
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Respected Zarp Contributor
  • Thanks received: 1544
ex-minecraft owner, zarp legend (Was there during the infancy of Zarp), ex-ssrp admin, ex-teamspeak emblem (For SSRP admin & minecraft owner)

Your opinion 7 years 10 months ago #337684

I think all staff should know when to act professional, and when to be more laid back and casual. For example if you're dealing with an F1 on SSRP you should be acting professional during the discussions because by answering that F1 you represent not only yourself but all SSRP staff, and Zarp as a community as well. Also while playing any other Zarp or Friendly Players server, whether they're staff on it or not, they should be following the rules and being respectful at all times. The same goes for both community's forums and teamspeak servers.

Talking to someone over Steam or Skype is a situation where you can be more casual and be able to say/act however you please (with some limitations - a staff member shouldn't be harassing other community members over Steam for example) because they aren't necessarily connected to Zarp/FP.
  • Viking
  • Senior Boarder
  • FP Ambassador™
  • Thanks received: 616
"Tbh you would have been a cm by now if you hadn’t got banned." - EMP 5/10/18

Your opinion 7 years 10 months ago #337696

Aspect wrote:
Proffesionalism isn't key, confidence is when handeling F1's. When you have childs crying in F1 you must be ready to take multiple punches a day from immature people. Most resign because they're too weak and gets smashed on too quickly (myself included).

Thats why i resigned i had enough of ppl yelling at me "WARN HIM HE BROKE A RULE CHECK THE LOGS!!!!" and the other one screaming back "NO! I! FUCKING! DIDNT! WARN THIS GUY FOR LYING!" this kind of f1's are super annoying and no one has any proof of anything happening.

So a good staff member has to be prepared for this kind of shit.
  • BigQuattro
  • Senior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Minecraft Moderator, Ex-SSRP Moderator
  • Thanks received: 40
The following user(s) said Thank You: catboy sven ツ

Your opinion 7 years 10 months ago #337702

BigQuattro wrote:
Aspect wrote:

Thats why i resigned i had enough of ppl yelling at me "WARN HIM HE BROKE A RULE CHECK THE LOGS!!!!" and the other one screaming back "NO! I! FUCKING! DIDNT! WARN THIS GUY FOR LYING!" this kind of f1's are super annoying and no one has any proof of anything happening.

So a good staff member has to be prepared for this kind of shit.
This is very important and is something not a lot of people expect from becoming staff. You have to be able to handle chaotic situations calmly and not let your emotions make your decisions, and be able to brush off the insults and other rude comments rule breakers are inevitably going to yell at you as you try to do your job. Being staff is not an easy thing to do for some people to do, and can take a lot of time to get used to.
  • Viking
  • Senior Boarder
  • FP Ambassador™
  • Thanks received: 616
"Tbh you would have been a cm by now if you hadn’t got banned." - EMP 5/10/18
The following user(s) said Thank You: catboy sven ツ, BigQuattro

Your opinion 7 years 10 months ago #337704

See what %80 of the staff is doing atm and then do the opposite
  • Indiana Jones
  • Legendary Member
  • aghaha yaaaaah
  • Thanks received: 4054
The following user(s) said Thank You: SorIe

Your opinion 7 years 10 months ago #337708

Someone who has good intentions.
Someone who knows the rules.
  • Want
  • Gold Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • L4GY
  • Thanks received: 238

Your opinion 7 years 10 months ago #337721

Loaded question, but ultimately it's someone who can ensure users of the server are having fun. He shouls be able to disregard the rules in some small aspect if the situation contributes towards RP but breaks a rule, while not harming anyone else.

Someone who isn'd afraid to put the collective user experience over the rules in some cases.
  • exrobite
  • Loyal Boarder
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • dont have a cow man
  • Thanks received: 2489

Your opinion 7 years 10 months ago #337747

I think the main thing you need to be to be a "good staff member" is to be reasonable and understanding. Just because people break the rules you don't need to necessarily punish them for it, they need to be able to have a good read on situations. I think the best traits of staff members is when they're approachable. Somebody that you're not afraid to speak with in confidence or just to chat with.
  • Plankton
  • Gold Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Overpowering Forehead
  • Thanks received: 567

Self proclaimed greatest of all time
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blocked

Your opinion 7 years 10 months ago #337755

What makes a good staff member is listening to everyone around you and knowing when it's time to act and when it isn't. I see far to few staff members that are willing to fully interact with certain users as much as the user would need. Some users learn far more from being spoken to on teamspeak and taught how they should respond to stuff. Given that I'm required to keep an eye on the staff team I notice that a lot of the people don't take the time to do this and instead focus on harsh punishments being given out quickly in hopes of cleaning up the rule breaks instantly, sure it works to some extent but there are often far better solutions to the situation.

Other than that the ability to interact in a professional but still friendly and humble way is important, being cold and harsh tends to scare the users and this is a gaming community, we don't want people to feel scared or miss-treated as most people are here to hopefully enjoy the servers and have a fun time.

Just as blocked touched on in his post a good staff member shouldn't constantly try to get everyone demoted for minor things, they work with the rest of the team in order to figure out a functional solution that satisfies everyone, sadly at times this isn't possible and in those cases it tends to end with a demotion or a warning from the lead team. Sadly a lot of people seem to forget how important the team dynamic, even the lead teams are subject to issues regarding team dynamic at times.
  • Legendary Soldier
  • Former Community Manager
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • Still alive bois
  • Thanks received: 1431
Former Community Manager - Current Bartender

Your opinion 7 years 10 months ago #337765

I literally just typed a five paragraph essay about this shit and when I went to post it, it said that "My session has timed out."

Fml
  • Tettra
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • The original Good Boy™️
  • Thanks received: 930
I'm an ex at a lot of things:
Global Moderator
SSRP Admin (I was SuperAdmin for 10 seconds as a mistake)
Minigames Owner
Teamspeak Staff
Minecraft Mod (lol)
Deathrun Mod

I used to go by Fennster4 but now I’m cooler

Your opinion 7 years 10 months ago #337776

In my opinion, there is not only one thing to describe a good staff member so I will break it down to separate points. This is just in general and this is just some points and not all of the aspects of being a staff member

Attitude

A staff member needs a certain attitude to be friendly and welcoming when it is good to spread a positive vibe across the server but still can be serious and act in a serious manner when on duty or when the time is right . As well as this a staff member also needs to be able to separate their out of staff duty friendships from their in duty roles. Another key aspect of this attitude is that a staff member needs the right attitude and needs to work with the user to try help the user out and not just try find ways to punish the user because there is no point punishing the user if he isn't learning what to do right or what he could have done differently because if you don't take the time and effort to try to improve the user he most likely won't and continue to get punished when he wants to learn but isn't getting help he doesn't know he needs.

Teamwork

Similar to blocked's point is that one aspect of being a staff team is that you need to work as a team and not against one another. I have seen this a lot over my many months of being a staff member and I am seeing this more and more now and this is that people don't work as a team and instead try to report other staff members and bring them down . I have seen this mostly with people who try to push for super admin but they don't have the right mindset needed for the role because they try to demote other staff members for minor rule breaks but in fact that isn't how this works. I'm not talking about people reporting for massive blatant abuse and disregard but I'm talking about on the small scale , for example, if you accidently break NLR or if you accidently no-clip into other people's bases (This is for SSRP). What a staff member could do is just remind them hey you broke NLR or hey just be careful next time and this is especially for new staff as they are more prone to making mistakes because we are all human and we all make mistakes and a way to improve is to learn from our mistakes

Helpfull

One other aspect of being a staff member is the ability to be helpful , approachable and willing to help , This is being approached by a user as well as being approached by another staff member. Being helpful is a big part because as a ranked member of the server you are seen as someone who is there to help the users of the server as well as staff. The approachable part is the ability for members of the community having the confidence and feeling that they can approach you to ask you a question or for advice and you are willing to help out and not steer away.

Knowledge

one other aspect is the knowledge . This can be portrayed in many ways but having knowledge is a part of the staff member wich spreads over all the other points I made as well as points I did not make. This can vary from haveing knowledge of the rules to having experience and ultimately adds up to all the other aspects of being a staff member because having the knowledge of what attitude to have , how to deal and interact with people , good knowledge of the rules , know how to work together ad a team and how to be helpful to name a few.

There are many many many other ways and qualities that make up a good staff member and I could go on and on for even longer but to save your sanity as well as mine I will leave it here but if you want some more of my opinions you can message me on steam or come talk to me on team speak.
  • Luan
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • Ex- Surf Owner
  • Thanks received: 488

EX- TS3 Staff
EX- SSRP Head Admin

Your opinion 7 years 10 months ago #337792

I believe that right now we have a lot of random people that are staff members and dont deserve it.Just because you got no warnings and no past of fights with other members you can become a moderator.The thing is that there are a lot of mods that dont know what they are doing and most of the times we have to show them the rule that they dont know.

There are also staff members that become staff because they want protection over rulebreakers, using their powers to protect themselves. A lot of times i wonder when someone is mass rdming at spawn arent staff members curious that this guy is killing someone every 10 seconds? I believe they just ignore it.Some others hear someone shooting for no reason at someone else and they dont evencare to turn around and see what happend. I have also seen people getting false demoted and when i called some staff members out for not doing something a mod tp's to me and says you need help? When i say yes he says make a f1.I am not gonna make a f1 for something that obvious just because that guy wants to farm f1s.

It would be way better if the community chose who they want as a mod/admin and not the staff team only, because if someone becomes a mod and he doesnt know half of the rules, then we will be paying for your mistakes or at least interview them when they get accepted.Another option would be that some head admins or owners dedicate some time and spectate the people they choose as a member of the staff team and not make a decision and let him do his duty without spervision.

Now there will always be someone saying "If you got a problem with a staff team member make a demote request" The answer on that is no, its a waste of time as he will only get spoken to.
  • RFlex
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • whats up
  • Thanks received: 997
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viking

Your opinion 7 years 10 months ago #337798

R-Flex wrote:
I believe that right now we have a lot of random people that are staff members and dont deserve it.Just because you got no warnings and no past of fights with other members you can become a moderator.The thing is that there are a lot of mods that dont know what they are doing and most of the times we have to show them the rule that they dont know.

There are also staff members that become staff because they want protection over rulebreakers, using their powers to protect themselves. A lot of times i wonder when someone is mass rdming at spawn arent staff members curious that this guy is killing someone every 10 seconds? I believe they just ignore it.Some others hear someone shooting for no reason at someone else and they dont evencare to turn around and see what happend. I have also seen people getting false demoted and when i called some staff members out for not doing something a mod tp's to me and says you need help? When i say yes he says make a f1.I am not gonna make a f1 for something that obvious just because that guy wants to farm f1s.

It would be way better if the community chose who they want as a mod/admin and not the staff team only, because if someone becomes a mod and he doesnt know half of the rules, then we will be paying for your mistakes or at least interview them when they get accepted.Another option would be that some head admins or owners dedicate some time and spectate the people they choose as a member of the staff team and not make a decision and let him do his duty without spervision.

Now there will always be someone saying "If you got a problem with a staff team member make a demote request" The answer on that is no, its a waste of time as he will only get spoken to.

see if you would like to express your opinion about a staff member or if you feel he does not know the rule well you can always comment on his application because I'm sure some people in the meeting might read it and point it out (I do anyways). Anyone train I make sure they do a good job and at times even spectate them through their first f1 because we all need some help sometimes
  • Luan
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • Ex- Surf Owner
  • Thanks received: 488

EX- TS3 Staff
EX- SSRP Head Admin
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

158 PLAYERS ONLINE

Connect to server View Gametracker DarkRP 1