Login to ZARP
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Response to 'Removal of Bad Jobs'

Response to 'Removal of Bad Jobs' 9 years 7 months ago #69531

So, I was considering my response to this thread when it hit me: this issue I had thought about is completely separate, and because it is such a controversial matter, I concluded that it would deserve its own thread for discussion.

This is my comment up until where I moved to this thread:
That actually raises a significant issue.

We have individual jobs for those in society who don't wish to follow the law and label them 'Gangsters' and 'Thieves'; but in reality this is just a form of metagaming intrinsic in the DarkRP gamemode, perhaps we overlook that as it is the norm for these sort of semi-serious communities?

I personally feel that, despite ZARP's DarkRP servers being defined as 'semi-serious', we should remove all jobs which associates a person with a role in which others may not necessarily understand or notice without the tag or the stereotypical playermodel. Having said that, we wouldn't be opening the gates for vigilante's and arrest batons for all: we would still include jobs in which are accustomed to bearing a typical and attire, such as those who trade in suits (and the more prominent law enforcement). This would benefit roleplay as we cater for whatever people want to do without simple job names alluding to implicit (but very real) boundaries.

Why would it make sense? Because in real life, everyone is a citizen of the country they are permitted to reside in. That means that anyone playing the ZARP SSRP server is - within their character - a member of the provenance of the effective roleplay environment, and as such is a citizen. Therefore, if a gangster of whom has the right to citizenship in a country commits a crime - they are still a citizen, and in organized crime shouldn't be expected to go around encumbered in the clothing such as the ones in our playermodels. In essence, it destroys roleplay, the police will simply watch these people ingame and associate them with a raid or the like - which just removes the fun. That's just one of many examples. If you're a Black Market dealer underground, why shouldn't you be able to work as a gunstore assistant? If you own a gunstore, why can't you operate as a part of a gang entity?

So, if you wish to sum up the issues raised - it is that when you label a profession, it limits them in various formats. That includes the way other roleplayers behave to them (in which I have identified as an inherent matter in online roleplay, which could be rightly perceived as a legitimate limitation of the fact that this is a game), and how they are expected to behave as the role they adopt by clicking a button.

A hypothetical solution can be found in this part of my original comment:
remove all jobs which associates a person with a role in which others may not necessarily understand or notice without the tag or the stereotypical playermodel. Having said that, we wouldn't be opening the gates for vigilante's and arrest batons for all: we would still include jobs in which are accustomed to bearing a typical and attire, such as those who trade in suits (and the more prominent law enforcement). This would benefit roleplay as we cater for whatever people want to do without simple job names alluding to implicit (but very real) boundaries.

What are your feelings towards this matter?
  • Chris
  • Diamond Boarder
  • Thanks received: 931
Login or register to post a reply.

Response to 'Removal of Bad Jobs' 9 years 7 months ago #69548

I'd like to see where this goes, it sounds interesting and like it would be just crazy enough to work. I'd say try it on a trial and get feedback from everyone.

-Red
  • RedPowder
  • Former Owner
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • Thanks received: 3318

Response to 'Removal of Bad Jobs' 9 years 7 months ago #69587

I too had to read this a couple of times to understand (sort of) what you are saying. you want a discussion about the removal of all bad jobs entirely and possible removal of the job tag, therefore all users who wish to become a gangster (for example), they would have to do so in their minds. In other worlds, all players who want to be a gangster and make drugs, must do so by acquiring weapons and drugs elsewhere and the one way of Police knowing that these men are gangsters/badmens is by catching them doing illegal things..

However, I feel that this relates very much to PERP... On many PERP servers, there are no tags or player models and such to tell others what job they are.

I hope I understood correctly.
I like the idea, i'd like others' opinions on the matter.
  • Zan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thanks received: 131

Response to 'Removal of Bad Jobs' 9 years 7 months ago #69589

What I mean is, removing any attributes which label limited roles using stereotype, unless IRL someone could look at a person and say "They have a police uniform. They're a cop." or "They're in a suit, that could mean they are a lawyer or a businessman, or perhaps even a criminal."
  • Chris
  • Diamond Boarder

Response to 'Removal of Bad Jobs' 9 years 7 months ago #69591

We need this if PERP gets added, not on SSRP. Bad jobs should not be distinguished by their playermodel, and their job should not be seen in the tab menu... Everyone who isnt in the law should look like a citizen. Etc etc
  • DarthVader
  • Expert Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • EX-SSRP ADMIN
  • Thanks received: 285

AKA Victor
Last Edit: 9 years 7 months ago by DarthVader.

Response to 'Removal of Bad Jobs' 9 years 7 months ago #69594

Victor wrote:
We need this if PERP gets added, not on SSRP. Bad jobs should not be distinguished by their playermodel, and their job should not be seen in the tab menu... Everyone who isnt in the law should look like a citizen. Etc etc

That's not something we 'need' - it's a feature of PERP. You join for the first time and set your character, and then you go ahead and do whatever - could join the bus service whilst still being a criminal, could be a cop, dispatcher, paramedic or fireman - nothing else (simply by going to an NPC).
  • Chris
  • Diamond Boarder

Response to 'Removal of Bad Jobs' 9 years 7 months ago #69609

Lol I've never played Perp before, I only know that it is very serious roleplay (fun, fun, and fun!!! :) )

Thx for the info :p
  • DarthVader
  • Expert Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • EX-SSRP ADMIN
  • Thanks received: 285

AKA Victor
Last Edit: 9 years 7 months ago by DarthVader.

Response to 'Removal of Bad Jobs' 9 years 7 months ago #69619

I cannot understand
  • hopking1
  • Senior Boarder
  • dont worry about
  • Thanks received: 124

Response to 'Removal of Bad Jobs' 9 years 7 months ago #69628

Not everyone here went to Oxford, Chris.
  • exrobite
  • Loyal Boarder
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • dont have a cow man
  • Thanks received: 2489

Response to 'Removal of Bad Jobs' 9 years 7 months ago #69722

Exrobite wrote:

Everyone except you, minge.
  • Chris
  • Diamond Boarder
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zan, Ruul

Response to 'Removal of Bad Jobs' 9 years 7 months ago #69749

Chris wrote:
Exrobite wrote:

Everyone except you, minge.

You fucking what mate? I'll have you know that I went to Oxford and bought a dictionary. Who the fuck do you think you are, I'll fucking slap you silly.

Prepare to get wrecked, scrublord.
  • exrobite
  • Loyal Boarder
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • dont have a cow man
  • Thanks received: 2489

Response to 'Removal of Bad Jobs' 9 years 7 months ago #69754

Oxford said if I come near them they will call the police
  • hopking1
  • Senior Boarder
  • dont worry about