Login to ZARP
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Do you think we have free will?

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374182

Father Watson wrote:
Shark wrote:
Books upon books have already been filled with arguments for and against hahahahaha!

I'd love put more time and thought into this discussion but I'm afraid I'm too busy studying way less interesting (in my opinion) philosophical subjects at the moment (one of my main classes this semester was analytical philosophy please end my suffering).

EDIT: analytical philosophy is probably one of if not the most promising field for finding actual answers to this problem. That doesn't make me abhor it any less nor do I have any idea where to begin looking due to a general lack of interest.

I'm afraid I've been tackling this from a moral philsophy standpoint, as that's sort of my area of expertise. But studying philosophy is always going to be a headache, because there're way too many factors involved, every friggin' suggestion I make could be countered with the opposite, because that's what the world is - a whole bunch of "Yeah, buts." Ad infinitum. The inherent issue with determinism is the same one with free will, and the same one with religion, and atheism - every argument for, can be made against it, because neither has any concrete proof.

I like to think we have free will, only because I look at the world and think that there was no way that any intelligent creator, and no way determinism brought us to this place where we are. We're on the road to destruction, then we're not, then we are, then we're not, we're reaching new heights of discovery, then we're way behind, then we are, then we're not. Our world is an indecisive big bitch that makes its decisions out of necessity and curiosity. A giant "What does this button do?"

At least, that's how I see it. Again, you could literally take my argument and turn it on its head - but I think that's part of the fun of it, knowing that no one answer is the absolutely correct one... even if it is gonna drive you up the effing wall.

Finally, if you're looking for people to look into, try Immanuel Kant's metaphysics, the Greek classical philosophers, like Plato, try Nietzche, or even Buddha. Buddhism is actually one of the sources of the very aspect of nihilism, despite the consistent emphasis on balance and minimalism. Though, I think it was meant more in a "This is how *not* to think" kind of way.

haha look at yall

obeying to your pre-programmed path which has determined you all to argue between each other. Wake up & see the 3rd option instead of 1v1. Matrix movies are a subliminal message showing us what our fake reality actually is and only recently have people started seeing the actual truth. ape brain mush not go brr kms
  • RubyTheSlump
  • Banned
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 212

SIX BODIES DROPPED & NO BODY WENT TO HEAVEN

steamcommunity.com/id/saltswitch
Value: 1258€
Games owned: 127
Games played: 83 (65%)
Hours on record: 4,167.5h [/list
Login or register to post a reply.

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374184

what no playerbase does to a mf
  • Muhammed Ali
  • Gold Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • fuck
  • Thanks received: 780

certified
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shark, catboy sven ツ, SwiiFTz

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374190

Father Watson wrote:
After reading through all of this, I have to say that I'm definitely feeling like there's a lot of emphasis on deontology (the means) and little emphasis on consequentialism (the ends). It feels like there're a considerable amount of people saying "Your every action is impacted by the environment you're in and therefore you don't have free will," but I think the more pressing point is:

Free will speaks to whether our actions are ultimately our own, or if they're preordained by some external force. Not our environment, not our personal circumstances, but by something that has written our journey for us before we had a chance to get a say in the matter.

Think for ourselves. This world has people who challenged society itself. Who dared to stand up to the way things are, and say that the way things are should change.

Without going on for too long, yes. I think we have free will.

I think the disagreement on this thread lies in the being, not the act itself (Because it seems we all agree that neurons are where the decision happens). I don't consider a robot to have free will because there's always a human behind it that is ultimately deciding what the robot does. I consider humans to be more complex robots.

Lets take f(x) = y. That's a transformation from one number to another. Is the transformation based on free will? I personally base my stance on determinism that it it's not free will, because it's predictable what it'll do. Humans are more chaotic, we don't know why we do things, and often justify the ends afterwards. But because we are chaotic and hard to predict: Does that mean true randomness?

If you consider a calculating outputting 4 when you put in 2 + 2 free will, then yes, I'd consider humans to have free will as well.

Thanks to data we're able to predict a ton of behavior. Most famous example is Facebook: Why are targeted ads so reliable if humans have free will, why are our opinions changed based on the information that is displayed to us on social media? Why does Amazon know what product you want before you do? Technology is only getting more and more advanced; more and more of our behavior will become predictable. If everything we do can be predicted, then do we really have free will?

tl;dr: Free will can only exist if it can't be predicted because a Calculator is predictable. Humans are nothing more than complex calculators.
  • catboy sven ツ
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Respected Zarp Contributor
  • Thanks received: 1544
ex-minecraft owner, zarp legend (Was there during the infancy of Zarp), ex-ssrp admin, ex-teamspeak emblem (For SSRP admin & minecraft owner)

Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by catboy sven ツ.

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374191

lmao in psychology we're doing the different approaches that people take to explain behaviour and whatnot and we've done like 6 and they're mostly depressing saying stuff like our personality and all that is determined before we're born or that everything we do is copied off role models that we see in life but there's the humanist approach which just basically says that humans have the free will to do what they want. One of the positives people say about it is that its a refreshing take compared to determinist shit because it says that we have the power to self-actualise and reach our own fullest potential though there are some factors that limit it. It's kinda mad when you think about how many people come from nothing and succeed so much more than other people do despite apparently being limited by a poor environment etc. Im a huge football fan and there's so many famous footballers who grew up in slums and had rough childhoods but came through and are now millionaires and you see it with people in every field. Why would they come through like that when being surrounded by negative influences from day one? You can say all this scientific stuff about thoughts and complicated mindfuckery but at the end of the day id much rather just believe that God put me on this earth with the ability to do whatever the fuck i wanted.
  • Nogtog
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 3434
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lewis_is_java

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374206

Nogtog wrote:
lmao in psychology we're doing the different approaches that people take to explain behaviour and whatnot and we've done like 6 and they're mostly depressing saying stuff like our personality and all that is determined before we're born or that everything we do is copied off role models that we see in life but there's the humanist approach which just basically says that humans have the free will to do what they want. One of the positives people say about it is that its a refreshing take compared to determinist shit because it says that we have the power to self-actualise and reach our own fullest potential though there are some factors that limit it. It's kinda mad when you think about how many people come from nothing and succeed so much more than other people do despite apparently being limited by a poor environment etc. Im a huge football fan and there's so many famous footballers who grew up in slums and had rough childhoods but came through and are now millionaires and you see it with people in every field. Why would they come through like that when being surrounded by negative influences from day one? You can say all this scientific stuff about thoughts and complicated mindfuckery but at the end of the day id much rather just believe that God put me on this earth with the ability to do whatever the fuck i wanted.
Hate to break it too ya pal but you're actually just a calculator
  • Lewis_is_java
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Λεωνίδᾱς
  • Thanks received: 4690
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nogtog

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374208

no
  • koRe Phantom
  • Senior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Severe Autism
  • Thanks received: 259
Best Prop Abuser

Ex-TTT Administrator
Ex-Minecraft Administrator

Discord: korephantom

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374209

Aspect wrote:
tl;dr: Free will can only exist if it can't be predicted because a Calculator is predictable. Humans are nothing more than complex calculators.

The problem with this approach is that it takes the question too seriously. It's like equating free will with originality. But they're two different concepts. They can go hand in hand, but they're two different concepts.

Free will is the ability to make a choice, and say you made that choice. Originality is more focused on whether what you did was new, innovative, or opposing the tide.

But this opens another line of enquiry: Does our free will become trivial if we're using it to follow the crowd? If we're buying an iPhone just because it's popular, if we're doing a TikTok challenge because it's the newest trend, if we're living to follow trends and what's current, are we still living our own life, or are we living one that's determined by others in a more superficial way?
  • Father Watson
  • Nitro Booster
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • Thanks received: 1041
https://gyazo.com/fbafb32cd9b0fe8b55a862c42ff71d9a

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374214

Aspect wrote:

I think this is a gross understatement. The human brain is complex in such a way that we cannot actually explain it fully. I agree that our actions themselves are nothing more than electronic pulses zapping our neurons but that doesn't explain the outstanding abilities of humans as opposed to other animals. We can rationalize, we can induce and deduce, we have the ability to communicate in very complex ways etc.
An elephant brain consists of roughly 2.5x the amount of neurons as a human brain, yet we are still "smarter". Bigger calculator = bigger smart right? Evidently not. That's why I'm also a firm believer in the existence of some kind of metaphysical concept which drives us other than the empirical electric pulses in our brain. Sentience =/= consciousness.

I'm fully aware that I'm rambling. I've been studying for 10 hours straight, cut me some slack.
  • Shark
  • Gold Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Cryptocommunist
  • Thanks received: 696
Zooming in is great guys!

The following user(s) said Thank You: RubyTheSlump

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374267

Changing my answer to yes as I had free will to scroll past the essays B)
  • Indiana Jones
  • Legendary Member
  • aghaha yaaaaah
  • Thanks received: 4053
The following user(s) said Thank You: Killa Kappa

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374271

zarp_smashmouth_avatar wrote:
Changing my answer to yes as I had free will to scroll past the essays B)
Thank you, very inspirational :pray:
  • Killa Kappa
  • User is blocked
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 6745

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374808

Nogtog wrote:
I would too, unfortunately the humanistic approach is widely regarded as a few loose ideas with no actual evidence, the psychodynamic approach is probably the most accurate. But I still think we have some influence on our actions, albeit little.
  • maddox
  • Gold Boarder
  • Ian foot
  • Thanks received: 1297
sky.lea | youtube | steam

Discord: edward_adonis

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374809

Nogtog wrote:
at the end of the day id much rather just believe that God put me on this earth with the ability to do whatever the fuck i wanted.
Personally I was put on this earth by my mom and dad (against my free will though)
  • Killa Kappa
  • User is blocked
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 6745
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Killa Kappa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RubyTheSlump, TrueOverL

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374929

Nogtog wrote:
at the end of the day id much rather just believe that God put me on this earth with the ability to do whatever the fuck i wanted.
Eminem wrote:
"Shady, wait a minute, that's my girl, dawg!"
I don't give a fuck, God sent me to piss the world off!

Same energy. Take that how you want due to you having free will!
  • Indiana Jones
  • Legendary Member
  • aghaha yaaaaah
  • Thanks received: 4053
The following user(s) said Thank You: Killa Kappa, TrueOverL, Nogtog
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds

243 PLAYERS ONLINE

Connect to server View Gametracker DarkRP 1
11/127
Connect to server View Gametracker Deathrun