Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
maddox wrote:
Need ideas for my philosophy project thanks

If I punch you in the face you'll react against your will.
I think this proves the opposite if anything, the fact that people will react to this differently proves free will. Someone will choose to be upset, angry or just deck you cause you play zarp and hit like a pansy

Everyone will react differently because they all have their own unique brain structures formed by past events. It's like having two different rube goldberg machines molded over a lifetime, but you expect them both to do the same thing. Even if they happen to react similarly (by coincidence), it's still not the same output.

If you're conscious about the concept of free will when you get punched in the face, you might try to make up some new reaction just to prove you have free will (A force that is driven by a need to prove your inner belief about free will to be true, not free will), but in actuality you'll try to rely on a gut feeling, which could happen to be a single neuron firing up last second which is the deciding factor on what random reaction you could pull off. But how did that neuron get there? Maybe 2 hours ago you had a sandwitch which made you think about tomatoes, so instead of reacting to getting punched in the face you scream "TOMATO" just to prove you have free will. You'll never be able to track down why you said it because it happens on such a low level that we can't measure, which as I mentioned earlier gives the illusion of free will.

Something interesting in computer science is pseudo randomness: You can't actually generate truly random numbers because that doesn't exist, you can only make the process really complicated so it's harder for others to predict (Commonly today we rely on time to get our number).
Are you just basing free will on the ability to do something new then? because it's not, reacting the way you choose to regardless of whether it's normal or new or different is free will in itself

Instead of reacting to being punched by shouting tomato is a reaction. You have the free will to write absolute books to make a point that doesn't make sense

I'm basing free will on the notion of impossible to predict behavior. My belief is that we have the resources to predict certain things, and as we progress with things like Neuralink, it'll take us even closer to breaking things down.

In 2016 Alpha Go beat the best player in Go. What was so interesting was how the AI came up with new strategies such as only winning by 1 territory whilst traditionally it was about maximizing territory. Does Alpha Go have free will because it came up with new strategies that humans hadn't thought about?

Writing a book is based a lot of factors. One being an interest in writing, another factor is other writers one might look up to. If you put a newborn on an island, would he randomly start writing an absolute 800-page book 20 years later just because? I think not because he didn't get these insights about doing it. Therefore, you writing a book is based on a multitude of data points from what everyone else did.

Well then you're view of free will is what I'd consider wrong, whether someone's behaviour is predictable or not doesn't matter, one person can choose to live the generic family life or one can choose to kill someone and spend a life in jail or become leader of a country they all chose that or their choices led them their which is all free will, no one else made them do any of those things.

Also about the infant on an island I rekon he won't write a book because he won't have learnt how to ya plonker what sort of analogy is that, the "multitude of data" is the ability to write, understand at least one language (helps when you're writing) and the want to write a book

I don't consider it to be wrong, but I don't think I've portrayed my intuition of a deterministic existence well enough. I look at life as a rollercoaster. You're riding it, experiencing it, but "you" (your consciousness) ultimately don't have an impact on where the ride takes you, but it's a set path ahead. The examples you brought up of what you might do in life appear to have will behind them, but it's an illusion, in actuality it's an oversimplification of something chaotic. A game seems real when enough components are there to distract you, but the components by themselves are nothing more than pillars.

My island example maybe was too abstract. The point is you're going focus on the things that are near you, and if you don't have the concept of free will in mind, your behavior will be very predictable. If you have a computer in your room you're probably going to use it several hours a day. If you have a restaurant nearby you're going to use that instead of the one further away.
In actuality you're overcomplicating something so simple by chalking up free will to people being "random" and using buzz words.

"me" (my consciousness) if I choose to kill someone because I can will have an impact on where this hypothetical "rollercoaster" takes me because it'll be a fast pass to jail pal a sad life which I chose.

The fact you even say probably at the bold point shows free will because you can't actually assume just because a computer is present people will actually use it, why not? because people have free will to do whatever they please.

If I have a restaurant that's closer, I might go to the one further away because I like their food more, because I have my own tastes because I have free will
  • Lewis_is_java
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Λεωνίδᾱς
  • Thanks received: 4690
Login or register to post a reply.

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1373952

Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
maddox wrote:

I think this proves the opposite if anything, the fact that people will react to this differently proves free will. Someone will choose to be upset, angry or just deck you cause you play zarp and hit like a pansy

Everyone will react differently because they all have their own unique brain structures formed by past events. It's like having two different rube goldberg machines molded over a lifetime, but you expect them both to do the same thing. Even if they happen to react similarly (by coincidence), it's still not the same output.

If you're conscious about the concept of free will when you get punched in the face, you might try to make up some new reaction just to prove you have free will (A force that is driven by a need to prove your inner belief about free will to be true, not free will), but in actuality you'll try to rely on a gut feeling, which could happen to be a single neuron firing up last second which is the deciding factor on what random reaction you could pull off. But how did that neuron get there? Maybe 2 hours ago you had a sandwitch which made you think about tomatoes, so instead of reacting to getting punched in the face you scream "TOMATO" just to prove you have free will. You'll never be able to track down why you said it because it happens on such a low level that we can't measure, which as I mentioned earlier gives the illusion of free will.

Something interesting in computer science is pseudo randomness: You can't actually generate truly random numbers because that doesn't exist, you can only make the process really complicated so it's harder for others to predict (Commonly today we rely on time to get our number).
Are you just basing free will on the ability to do something new then? because it's not, reacting the way you choose to regardless of whether it's normal or new or different is free will in itself

Instead of reacting to being punched by shouting tomato is a reaction. You have the free will to write absolute books to make a point that doesn't make sense

I'm basing free will on the notion of impossible to predict behavior. My belief is that we have the resources to predict certain things, and as we progress with things like Neuralink, it'll take us even closer to breaking things down.

In 2016 Alpha Go beat the best player in Go. What was so interesting was how the AI came up with new strategies such as only winning by 1 territory whilst traditionally it was about maximizing territory. Does Alpha Go have free will because it came up with new strategies that humans hadn't thought about?

Writing a book is based a lot of factors. One being an interest in writing, another factor is other writers one might look up to. If you put a newborn on an island, would he randomly start writing an absolute 800-page book 20 years later just because? I think not because he didn't get these insights about doing it. Therefore, you writing a book is based on a multitude of data points from what everyone else did.

Well then you're view of free will is what I'd consider wrong, whether someone's behaviour is predictable or not doesn't matter, one person can choose to live the generic family life or one can choose to kill someone and spend a life in jail or become leader of a country they all chose that or their choices led them their which is all free will, no one else made them do any of those things.

Also about the infant on an island I rekon he won't write a book because he won't have learnt how to ya plonker what sort of analogy is that, the "multitude of data" is the ability to write, understand at least one language (helps when you're writing) and the want to write a book

I don't consider it to be wrong, but I don't think I've portrayed my intuition of a deterministic existence well enough. I look at life as a rollercoaster. You're riding it, experiencing it, but "you" (your consciousness) ultimately don't have an impact on where the ride takes you, but it's a set path ahead. The examples you brought up of what you might do in life appear to have will behind them, but it's an illusion, in actuality it's an oversimplification of something chaotic. A game seems real when enough components are there to distract you, but the components by themselves are nothing more than pillars.

My island example maybe was too abstract. The point is you're going focus on the things that are near you, and if you don't have the concept of free will in mind, your behavior will be very predictable. If you have a computer in your room you're probably going to use it several hours a day. If you have a restaurant nearby you're going to use that instead of the one further away.
In actuality you're overcomplicating something so simple by chalking up free will to people being "random" and using buzz words.

"me" (my consciousness) if I choose to kill someone because I can will have an impact on where this hypothetical "rollercoaster" takes me because it'll be a fast pass to jail pal a sad life which I chose.

The fact you even say probably at the bold point shows free will because you can't actually assume just because a computer is present people will actually use it, why not? because people have free will to do whatever they please.

If I have a restaurant that's closer, I might go to the one further away because I like their food more, because I have my own tastes because I have free will

Buzzwords? I've tried to not use buzzwords lol.

You "killed someone" because it was in your brain chemistry to do so. Your motivation "I felt like it" was just a normal response that can be said about anything "I ate this bagel because I felt like it" when in actuality your brain had a sense of hunger. If a calculator has free will because it outputs Y when you put in X then yes, you are right about free will.

I said "probably" because that's the best we got as humans. I can't just dig into your brain and inspect your neurons 1 by 1 and predict your entire day. I can only make statistical assumptions.

Yeah you might indeed take the restaurant further away. That's because your brain had a luster for a particular food. That's an argument that strengthens my thesis not yours.
  • catboy sven ツ
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Respected Zarp Contributor
  • Thanks received: 1544
ex-minecraft owner, zarp legend (Was there during the infancy of Zarp), ex-ssrp admin, ex-teamspeak emblem (For SSRP admin & minecraft owner)

Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by catboy sven ツ.

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1373953

Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
maddox wrote:

You "killed someone" because it was in your brain chemistry to do so. Your motivation "I felt like it" was just a normal response that can be said about anything "I ate this bagel because I felt like it" when in actuality your brain had a sense of hunger. If a calculator has free will because it outputs Y when you put in X then you are right.

I said "probably" because that's the best we got as humans. I can't just dig into your brain and inspect your neurons 1 by 1 and predict your entire day. I can only statistically make assumptions.

Yeah you might indeed take the restaurant further away. That's because your brain had a luster for a particular food. That's an argument that strengthens my thesis not yours.
Buzzwords and verbosity

My brain chemistry made me kill someone, I'll let the judge know it wasn't my fault but some chemicals aye. obviously not many choices lead to a moment like that, not just some random chemicals at a point and time

And even if you could inspect neurons 1 by 1 you couldn't predict an entire day, because I'll change what I do based on tiny things like whether or what friends and family are doing, I might even give up something I would prefer to do to something else someone wants to do because free will grants me the power to do so, I could give up my food that my brain had such a magnitude of luster for to someone who has no food because my free will and empathy as a human allows me to choose the needs of an other over my own.

Also they could be the same restaurant with the same food, I just as my own person prefer that place more
  • Lewis_is_java
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Λεωνίδᾱς
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Lewis_is_java.

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1373956

Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
maddox wrote:

You "killed someone" because it was in your brain chemistry to do so. Your motivation "I felt like it" was just a normal response that can be said about anything "I ate this bagel because I felt like it" when in actuality your brain had a sense of hunger. If a calculator has free will because it outputs Y when you put in X then you are right.

I said "probably" because that's the best we got as humans. I can't just dig into your brain and inspect your neurons 1 by 1 and predict your entire day. I can only statistically make assumptions.

Buzzwords and verbosity

My brain chemistry made me kill someone, I'll let the judge know it wasn't my fault but some chemicals aye.

And even if you could inspect neurons 1 by 1 you couldn't predict an entire day, because I'll change what I do based on tiny things like whether or what friends and family are doing, I might even give up something I would prefer to do to something else someone wants to do because free will grants me the power to do so, I could give up my food that my brain had such a magnitude of luster for to someone who has no food because my free will and empathy as a human allows me to choose the needs of an other over my own.

Also they could be the same restaurant with the same food, I just as my own person prefer that place more

I asked what buzzword you were complaining about so I know what to avoid to type.

You're participating in a society where it doesn't matter what internal motivation you had for killing someone. That doesn't really have anything to do with my point though.

Yes I agree. Good point! Inspecting your neurons isn't enough. I'd have to inspect everyones' brains. I'd also have to inspect how your brain changes based on new experiences. Assuming I did all of that, I'd be able to predict your entire day, what decisions you make. If you really have free will I shouldn't be able to predict it right?

Yeah you may also prefer that place more. Maybe it's the staff working there that you like, maybe it's a table, maybe the view, maybe the architecture, or maybe it's to try and disprove that life is deterministic so you take the restaurant you like less!

These things can all be predicted. If your behavior can be predicted you don't really have free will.
  • catboy sven ツ
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
ex-minecraft owner, zarp legend (Was there during the infancy of Zarp), ex-ssrp admin, ex-teamspeak emblem (For SSRP admin & minecraft owner)

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1373957

yes we have free will how is this even a question unless ur religious or retarded
  • Denis
  • Diamond Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 1368
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lewis_is_java

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1373959

Denis wrote:
yes we have free will how is this even a question unless ur religious or retarded

Religious people generally believe in free will but of course they include their god of choice in the equation
  • catboy sven ツ
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1373960

Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
maddox wrote:

Buzzwords and verbosity

My brain chemistry made me kill someone, I'll let the judge know it wasn't my fault but some chemicals aye.

I asked what buzzword you were complaining about so I know what to avoid to type.

You're participating in a society where it doesn't matter what internal motivation you had for killing someone. That doesn't really have anything to do with my point though.

Yes I agree. Good point! Inspecting your neurons isn't enough. I'd have to inspect everyones' brains. I'd also have to inspect how your brain changes based on new experiences. Assuming I did all of that, I'd be able to predict your entire day, what decisions you make. If you really have free will I shouldn't be able to predict it right?

Yeah you may also prefer that place more. Maybe it's the staff working there that you like, maybe it's a table, maybe the view, maybe the architecture, or maybe it's to try and disprove that life is deterministic so you take the restaurant you like less!

These things can all be predicted. If your behaviour can be predicted you don't really have free will.
You think just neurons are responsible for thought? what if I'm stressed and my body is shitting out cortisol and epinephrine, is this not going to effect my thoughts, processes and choices? how about the fact that whatever is stressing me out will not stress someone else, because they can perceive situations differently and may be more composed thanks to free will and individuality, without free will we're all the same.

And I think Denis put it best,
we have free will how is this even a question unless ur retarded
  • Lewis_is_java
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Λεωνίδᾱς
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Lewis_is_java.

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1373962

Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
maddox wrote:

Buzzwords and verbosity

These things can all be predicted. If your behaviour can be predicted you don't really have free will.
You think just neurons are responsible for thought? what if I'm stressed and my body is shitting out cortisol and epinephrine, is this not going to effect my thoughts, processes and choices? how about the fact that whatever is stressing me out will not stress someone else, because they can perceive situations differently and may be more composed thanks to free will and individuality, without free will we're all the same.

And I think Denis put it best,
we have free will how is this even a question unless ur retarded

So your argument is: "It's really hard to reverse engineer the brain so therefore free will is a thing"?

A dice has free will, it decides which number to land on how is this even a question unless ur'e retarded
  • catboy sven ツ
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP

Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by catboy sven ツ.

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1373965

Ok so quick update I have since spoke with nyarli on this topic and he has explained to me that philosophy does not actually need to follow formal logic so I’m changing the groups of ppl who would seriously consider this question to: retards, religious people or philosophers or some mix
  • Denis
  • Diamond Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 1368
The following user(s) said Thank You: maddox

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1373966

Denis wrote:
Ok so quick update I have since spoke with nyarli on this topic and he has explained to me that philosophy does not actually need to follow formal logic so I’m changing the groups of ppl who would seriously consider this question to: retards, religious people or philosophers or some mix

agree :zarp: :zarp: :zarp:
  • Diamond Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 2022

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1373997

I guess it depends. Like in some situations you don't have free will, lets say you are a deer on the side of the road and some guy in his small car with a massive and loud exhaust comes speeding down the lane at 100 MPH. As a deer your natural instincts take over and you try to get away from the noise (therefore danger) as quickly as possible. Little do you know, you have just charged into the road and been beheaded by the car, who's driver then has the audacity to say HE has been hit.

Instincts take over and you are forced to react.
  • Pie_
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • Lewis Abdul Hajar
  • Thanks received: 656
Teamspeak/Discord Head Administrator
SSRP Head Administrator
Rat Sandwich Enjoyer

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374000

Pie_ wrote:
I guess it depends. Like in some situations you don't have free will, lets say you are a deer on the side of the road and some guy in his small car with a massive and loud exhaust comes speeding down the lane at 100 MPH. As a deer your natural instincts take over and you try to get away from the noise (therefore danger) as quickly as possible. Little do you know, you have just charged into the road and been beheaded by the car, who's driver then has the audacity to say HE has been hit.

Instincts take over and you are forced to react.
Wrong, all deers are insurance fraudsters. Fucking animals.
  • Clarky
  • Former Community Manager
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • I love Henny
  • Thanks received: 9536
The following user(s) said Thank You: RubyTheSlump, Pie_

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374160

It’s a paradox man they’re coming.
  • Jawson
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • ZARP
  • Thanks received: 1926
The following user(s) said Thank You: RubyTheSlump

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374171

Lewis_is_java wrote:
Aspect wrote:
maddox wrote:

These are all involuntary emotions though. However I don’t think this excludes the possibility of free will. Aspect makes a very strong case for determinism but I think you definitely still have choices. I decided to come on the forums and open a random thread. This decision (which was probably influenced by other decisions before it) brought me to a crossroads. I could have closed the tab and not responded or I could have taken way too much time to make a response like I’m doing now. I was free in making that choice but I wasn’t free in the choices I had if that makes sense.
  • Shark
  • Gold Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Cryptocommunist
  • Thanks received: 696
Zooming in is great guys!

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374172

Yes.
  • Killa Kappa
  • User is blocked
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 6745

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374173

After reading through all of this, I have to say that I'm definitely feeling like there's a lot of emphasis on deontology (the means) and little emphasis on consequentialism (the ends). It feels like there're a considerable amount of people saying "Your every action is impacted by the environment you're in and therefore you don't have free will," but I think the more pressing point is:

Free will speaks to whether our actions are ultimately our own, or if they're preordained by some external force. Not our environment, not our personal circumstances, but by something that has written our journey for us before we had a chance to get a say in the matter.

Free will is suggesting that everything we do is determined by ourselves. And yes, while our choices are motivated by our environment, by our upbringing, by our experiences, we have final say on what we do. What makes us human is that we have the ability to think, feel and share our experiences with those who come after us.

Industry, morality, the very nature of questioning everything, it's all provoked by one human saying "I don't like that this exists." "I don't like that this hasn't been questioned." "I want to leave a mark on the world, one that will remain long after I'm gone."

To play devil's advocate, you could suggest that all of this is an ultra-complicated way of some creator giving us the ability to think for ourselves. But therein lies the key phrase.

Think for ourselves. This world has people who challenged society itself. Who dared to stand up to the way things are, and say that the way things are should change.

Without going on for too long, yes. I think we have free will.

Addendum: Yes, you can suggest that it's more simple than that, and that free will might be as simple as are our actions ever our own, or the product of what came before us? I dare say yes, they are our own. But it's a complicated line of thought.
  • Father Watson
  • Nitro Booster
  • Thanks received: 1041
https://gyazo.com/fbafb32cd9b0fe8b55a862c42ff71d9a
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Father Watson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lewis_is_java, Mr. Richard, Nogtog, Skippergroe

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374176

Father Watson wrote:
To play devil's advocate, you could suggest that all of this is an ultra-complicated way of some creator giving us the ability to think for ourselves. But therein lies the key phrase.

Think for ourselves. This world has people who challenged society itself. Who dared to stand up to the way things are, and say that the way things are should change.
A
That's not the major problem here though. We can THINK that we think for ourselves but that doesn't mean that all of the choices we make aren't predetermined.

If you do believe in a god, free will becomes evermore illogical. Most classical gods (God, Allah, Buddha etc.) represent the pinnacle of morality. Why would a god willingly create humans with free will if free will entails the possibility to do great evil. I can choose to go and bomb an animal shelter full of adorable puppies right now. Why would a god that wishes to purge the world of all evil create beings with the ability to commit evil. The fact that people do in fact commit evil deeds can be reasoned away as some sort of "force of evil" (e.g. the devil) manipulating the determined world. People have tried to formulate answers to this question but all of them fall short in one aspect or another (try reading Plantinga's Free Will Defense to the problem of evil if you don't mind torturing yourself). Obviously this only answers the problem of free will vs. determinism in the presence of a (classical (omnipotent, omniscient and morally perfect)) god. If there is no (classical) god, then all we can do is speculate and theorize.
  • Shark
  • Gold Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Cryptocommunist

Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Shark.
The following user(s) said Thank You: catboy sven ツ, Skippergroe

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374178

Shark wrote:
Father Watson wrote:

A
That's not the major problem here though. We can THINK that we think for ourselves but that doesn't mean that all of the choices we make aren't predetermined.

If you do believe in a god, free will becomes evermore illogical. Most classical gods (God, Allah, Buddha etc.) represent the pinnacle of morality. Why would a god willingly create humans with free will if free will entails the possibility to do great evil. I can choose to go and bomb an animal shelter full of adorable puppies right now. Why would a god that wishes to purge the world of all evil create beings with the ability to commit evil. The fact that people do in fact commit evil deeds can be reasoned away as some sort of "force of evil" (e.g. the devil) manipulating the determined world. People have tried to formulate answers to this question but all of them fall short in one aspect or another (try reading Plantinga's Free Will Defense to the problem of evil if you don't mind torturing yourself). Obviously this only answers the problem of free will vs. determinism in the presence of a (classical (omnipotent, omniscient and morally perfect)) god. If there is no (classical) god, then all we can do is speculate and theorize.

To offer a counter to this argument and respectfully disagree, that is the major problem.

Kant suggests that the metaphysical state of mind is down to two things; good and evil. Do I do what I do because it's right, or wrong?

The binary, black and white thinking is the pinnacle of what stands on top of a lot of pivotal decisions throughout history. Do the ends justify the means? The problem with morality is that if your ends justify your means, you can justify any number of bad actions. Everyone has their own ends, and this usually boils down to our pursuit of our perfect world. Ayn Rand had an incredibly flawed belief system in objectivism, but it's accurate in that the majority of people will pursue their endgame no matter who it might inconvenience. Even people who claim to be "empaths" are pursuing their goals at the expense of someone else's endgame.

Rambling aside, the fundamental argument of if our actions are our own, if they're predetermined, is a creator-fixated question, as it essentially states that no matter how we approach life, our path is set in stone because it's already been written by the invisible hand of something beyond our comprehension.

Coming back to the concept of simplifying it to - are our paths predetermined by environment, upbringing and essentially what came before, you could make a good argument for this, and countless philosophers have, but I can't stress enough that what creator, what free will can exist, if we cannot think for ourselves?

Are we playing out some almighty script? Think the observer effect. If we tell someone we're going to watch what they're doing, will they not immediately change what their usual M.O. out of fear of being judged? Even if it's a little change.

There are so many little variables challenging that concept of determinism, because no matter how you attempt to suggest that all of this is one set path, how could it be?

Even the multiverse theory, which suggests that there are limitless realities which play out limitless versions of the same scenario, you could argue that every little action is fundamentally played out by someone wanting something a little differently than the other, thinking of it a different way to ultimately want a different outcome.

Tl;Dr - how do you justify freedom of thought not being a factor of free will when it's that that allows us the ability to make our every choice, question our every choice, and ultimately look back on our choices?

When you're aware of your own existence, does the way you approach existence change?

I'm aware that there are a lot of counters to these arguments, but this is fun. I feel like we could fill a book with arguments for and against determinism and free will.
  • Father Watson
  • Nitro Booster
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lewis_is_java, Nogtog, Skippergroe

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374180

Father Watson wrote:
I'm aware that there are a lot of counters to these arguments, but this is fun. I feel like we could fill a book with arguments for and against determinism and free will.[/i]
Books upon books have already been filled with arguments for and against hahahahaha!

All of these variables you are proposing, however, change nothing in the face of pure determinism. There would be no such thing as "free thought" as all of our thoughts would be predetermined too. Every factor that leads to a decision is predetermined. Being observed, put under pressure or in any other fashion manipulated wouldn't "change" our decisions either, as the manipulation itself would have been predetermined. In this sense, determinism is an entirely dogmatic concept.

Who's to say every universe in the multiverse isn't determined itself? This would obviously lead to a massive paradox as there would have to be a universe where free will does indeed exist. Definitely not the only problem a multiverse would pose to our current beliefs and logic but quite important to consider in this context.

I'd love put more time and thought into this discussion but I'm afraid I'm too busy studying way less interesting (in my opinion) philosophical subjects at the moment (one of my main classes this semester was analytical philosophy please end my suffering).

EDIT: analytical philosophy is probably one of if not the most promising field for finding actual answers to this problem. That doesn't make me abhor it any less nor do I have any idea where to begin looking due to a general lack of interest.
  • Shark
  • Gold Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Cryptocommunist

Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Shark.

Do you think we have free will? 2 years 3 months ago #1374181

Shark wrote:
Books upon books have already been filled with arguments for and against hahahahaha!

I'd love put more time and thought into this discussion but I'm afraid I'm too busy studying way less interesting (in my opinion) philosophical subjects at the moment (one of my main classes this semester was analytical philosophy please end my suffering).

EDIT: analytical philosophy is probably one of if not the most promising field for finding actual answers to this problem. That doesn't make me abhor it any less nor do I have any idea where to begin looking due to a general lack of interest.

I'm afraid I've been tackling this from a moral philsophy standpoint, as that's sort of my area of expertise. But studying philosophy is always going to be a headache, because there're way too many factors involved, every friggin' suggestion I make could be countered with the opposite, because that's what the world is - a whole bunch of "Yeah, buts." Ad infinitum. The inherent issue with determinism is the same one with free will, and the same one with religion, and atheism - every argument for, can be made against it, because neither has any concrete proof.

I like to think we have free will, only because I look at the world and think that there was no way that any intelligent creator, and no way determinism brought us to this place where we are. We're on the road to destruction, then we're not, then we are, then we're not, we're reaching new heights of discovery, then we're way behind, then we are, then we're not. Our world is an indecisive big bitch that makes its decisions out of necessity and curiosity. A giant "What does this button do?"

At least, that's how I see it. Again, you could literally take my argument and turn it on its head - but I think that's part of the fun of it, knowing that no one answer is the absolutely correct one... even if it is gonna drive you up the effing wall.

Finally, if you're looking for people to look into, try Immanuel Kant's metaphysics, the Greek classical philosophers, like Plato, try Nietzche, or even Buddha. Buddhism is actually one of the sources of the very aspect of nihilism, despite the consistent emphasis on balance and minimalism. Though, I think it was meant more in a "This is how *not* to think" kind of way.
  • Father Watson
  • Nitro Booster
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shark
Time to create page: 0.423 seconds

185 PLAYERS ONLINE

Connect to server View Gametracker DarkRP 1
9/127
Connect to server View Gametracker Deathrun