Login to ZARP
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: [SSRP Suggestion] LOGS

[SSRP Suggestion] LOGS 6 years 10 months ago #651113

Server Name: Semi-Serious Roleplay

Suggestion Title: More precise and longer logs

How would it benefit the server: Less minges, stricter enforcing of the rule which players could benefit from

Potential Issues/Exploits: Players will complain about getting warned too often

Additional notes: Well currently I as a staff member on SSRP I constantly have the issue of there not being logs. Now many LTs just say: "Do the F1s faster". And tbh yes it is a solution, but staff members rp too. And when you do go to the f1 the first one might've waited 5mins and if you're a decent staff member and not just f1 farming you will try to help them. An avarage sit with me therefore takes about 10-15min if I am doubting any of the facts stated.

The current state of the logs is terrible. At days I am not able to look backwards for 3mins. And trust me... I am not looking to warn players, but rather to help them. The logs are so inprecise right now as well as deleting themselves that while I am handling f1s about 3 RDMs that happened 5min ago while I reenter the logs I literally lose the logs.

For a regular rule-breaker (I am looking at you minus supporting it) this idea is bad. Tbh ofc it's bad for them. They will not be so lucky while getting off.

The thing that disturbs me the most is a guy which worked his ass off for 1mil just to get RDMed on the street by one person with a T-Gun wether it was an accident or not and the person that's no longer in the logs can just say they didn't do it. And bam.. I am one of those staff members that feels bad about these people.. About the new players on the server... They're literally the only way that a server can survive. Only through new people. It is unable to survive will old ones as they get bored eventually. And also one of the sadder things are when you tp to an f1 about a miner getting rdmed, losing his diamond pickaxe he worked for and having to explain to him how the logs work.... It just makes me sad and I usually end up refunding from my own pocket. The first week I came back from my vaction I refunded 20mil of pickaxes etc.

Anyways my total suggestion is: Adding logs with longer times (Up to 30min or even longer, even 1h) as well as adding more things into the logs that we are able to see:
- When someone gets arrested check if they were wanted (Like when a hit is completed) REASON WHY TO ADD THIS: They cannot lie about people being wanted, if there's no reason there's no log
- When someone gets arrested state the reason what they were charged for (For ex. had a weapon on him etc.) REASON WHY TO ADD THIS: So they can't lie about why they arrested him, if there's no charges, tickets then there's no logs
- When someone gets arrested state where they got arrested REASON WHY TO ADD THIS: For prevention of mass RDA and to see when it was inside the PD
- /me(s) should be able to be seen in logs REASON WHY TO ADD THIS: To see if a /me was used before a person got killed such as /me for mugging and if it was used properly.
- Maybe lockdowns with the reason why it was started REASON WHY TO ADD THIS: So police officers can't lie about there being a lockdown and order to AOS everyone on the streets.
- Vehicles battering-ram rammed REASON WHY TO ADD THIS: So we can see when a police officer steals
- Bank active raid and Nuke (start and ending) REASON WHY TO ADD THIS: So they can't use it as an excuse for breaking NLR in bank.
- When players switch roles we can see where they switched them (District) REASON WHY TO ADD THIS: to prevent them changing to gangster and raiding a base.
  • Tilin
  • Junior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 38

Ex - SSRP Admin (17 April 2017-16 September 2017)
Last Edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Tilin.
Login or register to post a reply.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EiPUS

[SSRP Staff] LOGS 6 years 10 months ago #651123

No idea why you put [SSRP Staff] When this should be [SSRP Suggestion]
  • Mirx
  • Expert Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Main Owner of Corrupted Vengeance
  • Thanks received: 172
steamcommunity.com/id/Diabolos2

[SSRP Staff] LOGS 6 years 10 months ago #651130

Mirx wrote:
Fixed. was talking on ts at the same time and I heard staff so I wrote staff xD
  • Tilin
  • Junior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP

[SSRP Staff] LOGS 6 years 10 months ago #651146

Tilin wrote:
Mirx wrote:
Fixed. was talking on ts at the same time and I heard staff so I wrote staff xD

Understandable. Have a nice day. :whistle:
  • Mirx
  • Expert Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Main Owner of Corrupted Vengeance
  • Thanks received: 172
steamcommunity.com/id/Diabolos2

[SSRP Staff] LOGS 6 years 10 months ago #651159

According to what EMP has said before this will cause performance issues. A server with around 80 players on average (just a random number) will have many logs being created, especially that it is DarkRP, thus once the limit is reached the old logs will be replaced by new ones because there is a maximum amount of logs stored on the server.
  • Roy Harper
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • someone stole my legendary member
  • Thanks received: 1950

»Ex-DarkRP HeadAdmin«
»Ex-TeamSpeak3 Staff«
»Ex-Appeals Section Mod«
»Ex-Jailbreak Moderator«
»Ex-Bhop Moderator«

[SSRP Staff] LOGS 6 years 10 months ago #651179

Roy Harper wrote:
According to what EMP has said before this will cause performance issues. A server with around 80 players on average (just a random number) will have many logs being created, especially that it is DarkRP, thus once the limit is reached the old logs will be replaced by new ones because there is a maximum amount of logs stored on the server.
That may be true, but it shouldn't be severly bad. I've worked for RG we had logs of 7 days and we could see everything from chat to every weapon picked up. No performance issues though it was a 80/80 players server. Many servers have a better logging system.

Maybe getting a third party log system that saves important console logs and is hosted on the zarpgaming.com domain. I mean many servers use it that way to optimize it perfectly. I see this as necessety and it's just increasing the amounts of trolls on zarp...
  • Tilin
  • Junior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP

[SSRP Staff] LOGS 6 years 10 months ago #651217

:plussp: Wanted this 2 years ago ;-;
  • AlphaLyle
  • Gold Boarder
  • |-Alpha-|
  • Thanks received: 281
you were expecting a signature, too bad.

西兰花共同拥有者

[SSRP Staff] LOGS 6 years 10 months ago #651232

Tilin wrote:
Roy Harper wrote:
That may be true, but it shouldn't be severly bad. I've worked for RG we had logs of 7 days and we could see everything from chat to every weapon picked up. No performance issues though it was a 80/80 players server. Many servers have a better logging system.

Maybe getting a third party log system that saves important console logs and is hosted on the zarpgaming.com domain. I mean many servers use it that way to optimize it perfectly. I see this as necessety and it's just increasing the amounts of trolls on zarp...
Yea no shit we can see that to. What your refering to is the physical log file that is generated by the server. If you guys had access to that then you could see logs for ever. But you guys will never get that, far to much sensitive information and plus it only encourages people to just troll the logs looking for any and all reason to get somone in trouble. We want people to play the game not spend ever minute of every day trying to fuck each other over.
  • EMP
  • Community Owner
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • ZARP Owner/Developer
  • Thanks received: 3152

To Add me on Steam Click the Image Below!

The following user(s) said Thank You: _Kong_

[SSRP Staff] LOGS 6 years 10 months ago #651251

Other servers may log more info, or make it accessible by a website, however, with the current players, S1 would seriously lag in a short time.

Logs currently on S1, can do a whole cycle in as short as 5 mins, which the limit of the logs stored is a decent size,
Imagine having each section of the logs, tracking the players constantly, by the time you get to a sit, the logs from, DMG and other useless things, are no longer there.

Source Engine, is not optimized to do crazy amounts of logging, that is sometimes needed for SSRP.

Also logging files can also just cause more issues within the server, specially if they start to become big, or frequent writes/reads.

All in all, from a server end aspect, this suggestion will cause more issues than it will fix
  • Anon_Gaming
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • #BritishCrumpet
  • Thanks received: 580

[SSRP Staff] LOGS 6 years 10 months ago #651290

EMP wrote:
Tilin wrote:
Roy Harper wrote:

Yea no shit we can see that to. What your refering to is the physical log file that is generated by the server. If you guys had access to that then you could see logs for ever. But you guys will never get that, far to much sensitive information and plus it only encourages people to just troll the logs looking for any and all reason to get somone in trouble. We want people to play the game not spend ever minute of every day trying to fuck each other over.
You can filter what we see. I mean the last server I was mod on had constant 80 players. We had no issues with optimization because of logs. And trust me the optimization on starwarsrp is much worse. EMP the current situation is so bad. I mean if we would get the ability that these logs virtually save themselves.
  • Tilin
  • Junior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP

[SSRP Suggestion] LOGS 6 years 10 months ago #651295

Thing is. Othet servers do not have any issues with this and they sometimes force players to record demos and do not have lagging issues.

And currently we got f1 farming staff waiting 15min just to tell everyone they ain't got logs.

Edit: some even use the users harddrive to save these files. Yes the issue is space on staff's harddrives.
  • Tilin
  • Junior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP

The following user(s) said Thank You: loxeo

[SSRP Suggestion] LOGS 6 years 10 months ago #651298

log machine bugged, have a nice day

but its a good idea so i dont have to fill up my hdd with plays.tv shit, at least let me make an f1 for rdm and the other guy not scream PROOF!?!? and me walking away sobbing cause "disk space is too low: we cannot record now"

Tilin wrote:
Thing is. Othet servers do not have any issues with this and they sometimes force players to record demos and do not have lagging issues.

And currently we got f1 farming staff waiting 15min just to tell everyone they ain't got logs.

Edit: some even use the users harddrive to save these files. Yes the issue is space on staff's harddrives.

facts, a (small) percentage of staff just sit on s3 farming f1's and get called good staff cause their f1 count is higher than _____'s but it's going to stay mass rdm on s3 for a reason.
  • loxeo
  • Senior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • how do you do?
  • Thanks received: 240
Last Edit: 6 years 10 months ago by loxeo.

[SSRP Suggestion] LOGS 6 years 10 months ago #651302

loxeo wrote:
log machine bugged, have a nice day

but its a good idea so i dont have to fill up my hdd with plays.tv shit, at least let me make an f1 for rdm and the other guy not scream PROOF!?!? and me walking away sobbing cause "disk space is too low: we cannot record now"
Exactly. What bothers me the most are these things. The only way to solve f1s at this time is either solving them the second it's created which is impossible at times.
  • Tilin
  • Junior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP

[SSRP Suggestion] LOGS 6 years 10 months ago #651307

:plussp:

Being a non staff member it's very hard trying to get sits done. The number of staff is huge, though the guys that don't hadle f1s. The staff that does handle f1 never has logs. I lost a pickaxe and tilin was on TS with me and he couldn't grab the logs even for 3min ago. It's depressing for us not being able to get our sits properly handled. Please do this for us.
  • Skiba
  • Fresh Boarder
  • ENGLAND IS MY CITY?
  • Thanks received: 2
Last Edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Skiba.

[SSRP Suggestion] LOGS 6 years 10 months ago #651312

Would help a lot.

:plussp:
  • Yachty
  • Senior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • X X
  • Thanks received: 82

Ex-SSRP Moderator

[SSRP Suggestion] LOGS 6 years 10 months ago #651337

-Support causes lagg
  • catboy sven ツ
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Respected Zarp Contributor
  • Thanks received: 1544
ex-minecraft owner, zarp legend (Was there during the infancy of Zarp), ex-ssrp admin, ex-teamspeak emblem (For SSRP admin & minecraft owner)

[SSRP Suggestion] LOGS 6 years 10 months ago #651352

Aspect wrote:
-Support causes lagg
Well others servers use it. Billy's logs looks very promising, especially that Big man tyrone's therre xD. But seriously. Billy's logs promises the best optimization.
  • Tilin
  • Junior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP

[SSRP Suggestion] LOGS 6 years 10 months ago #651390

Tilin wrote:
Aspect wrote:
-Support causes lagg
Well others servers use it. Billy's logs looks very promising, especially that Big man tyrone's therre xD. But seriously. Billy's logs promises the best optimization.

Does not matter if other servers use it.

Zarp is different from them, ran differently, gamemode edited, and also gets max players a lot.
the server will have to do WAY to much to keep hold of all the players and all their logs, then sent to server to be sent to staff, which the servers already start to lagg after a few days, this will simply make it worse.

Chute & EMP with the knowledge they have, and also chutes current work, if they thought there was a way and need that they could get more logs, with NO performance impact, they would have already done it.

Adding MORE things to be sent between the server and players, will just be too much.

The log system on zarp is also custom, it logs things other servers don't do/have
  • Anon_Gaming
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • #BritishCrumpet
Last Edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Anon_Gaming.

[SSRP Suggestion] LOGS 6 years 10 months ago #651395

Anon_Gaming wrote:
Tilin wrote:
Aspect wrote:
-Support causes lagg

Zarp is different from them, ran differently, gamemode edited, and also gets max players a lot.
the server will have to do WAY to much to keep hold of all the players and all their logs, then sent to server to be sent to staff, which the servers already start to lagg after a few days, this will simply make it worse.

Adding MORE things to be sent between the server and players, will just be too much.

The log system on zarp is also custom, it logs things other servers don't do/have
Anon, clearly you have not moderated other servers. They get 0 performance impacts, full logs with some censorship for data protection etc. And tbh there is a way. I mean these same logs could just be saved on the drive of the administrators/mods...
Chute & EMP with the knowledge they have, and also chutes current work, if they thought there was a way and need that they could get more logs, with NO performance impact, they would have already done it.

EDIT: I was starwarsrp staff with weekly updates. Optimization was #1 priority. And starwarsrp usually consists of a very detailed map as well as a lot of permanent props. If they managed the optimatization, I think that it's quite possible to be done here as well.
Well anyways regarding to BLogs or Billy's logs they work the same way when you join, your logs start from there, but they're recorded seperately for each staff member.
  • Tilin
  • Junior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP

[SSRP Suggestion] LOGS 6 years 10 months ago #652125

Tilin wrote:
Anon_Gaming wrote:
Tilin wrote:
Aspect wrote:
-Support causes lagg

Anon, clearly you have not moderated other servers. They get 0 performance impacts, full logs with some censorship for data protection etc. And tbh there is a way. I mean these same logs could just be saved on the drive of the administrators/mods...

EDIT: I was starwarsrp staff with weekly updates. Optimization was #1 priority. And starwarsrp usually consists of a very detailed map as well as a lot of permanent props. If they managed the optimatization, I think that it's quite possible to be done here as well.
Well anyways regarding to BLogs or Billy's logs they work the same way when you join, your logs start from there, but they're recorded seperately for each staff member.

I have in fact staffed other servers, with more logs, and ran my own, with more logs, however like i have stated several times already, ZARP runs completely different, The gamemode is not the stock gamemodes, all the other servers use, it also has SO many things running on them to give the players all the items, all the functions, that we use on a daily.

With how SSRP is, and all it's current stuff, adding things to CONSTANTLY check will cause MORE lagg, to the already lagging server.
Clearly you have never done any server work or had any form of understanding of server side, in a range.

Not only will this cause the performance of the server(Which is already at 16 tick) to be more laggy than it already is, the logs would fill up so quick from how many players are online, and how many things go on, and you would not even see half of them.

Damage logs, would fill up way to quick for any form of use or practicality on S1 and S3.

Also, you can not compare 1 gmod server to another, because they ALL run differently and ALL have different loads on them.
1 server will be more laggy than others, some can handle more logs, due to not having as many addons/tasks running on the server.

Using Third Party Addons, is also not always the best of things, if they are ever added to zarp, they are checked over for security of the server, and frankly way to many addons out there have backdoors in.

All in all, this battle for more logs has always been going, but will never happen, and frankly is not really needed.
  • Anon_Gaming
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • #BritishCrumpet
  • Page:
Moderators: MadMagic, Kanna.
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

215 PLAYERS ONLINE

Connect to server View Gametracker DarkRP 1
8/127