Login to ZARP
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: [Forum] Add a search bar on the right top

[Forum] Add a search bar on the right top 9 years 5 months ago #79023

I'd suggest adding a search bar for the website on the right top. Websites commonly have searchbars on the right top and it's smart to put it in the same position as people expect it.

Currently the search option is in the menu on the left which can be hard to locate as it looks like any other menu item, it doesn't draw any special attention to it indicating that it is a search bar. Some examples of websites that have searchbars on the right top:
www.joomla.org/
forum.joomla.org/ (PHPBB)
www.mybb.com/
www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php
facepunch.com/
developer.paypal.com/
twitter.com/

It's good for the user experience (UX) to put elements in places where people expect it, and since it's been quite a standard that search bars are on the right top, I think this could improve the usability of your website.
  • Ruben
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 6
You don't know the man, nor his history
Last Edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Ruben.
The topic has been locked.

[Forum] Add a search bar on the right top 9 years 5 months ago #79042

Website has looked this way and functioned perfectly without complaint since I first joined back in January at the start of 2014.

It has "QUICK MENU" in all caps and is easily seen at the top left of the screen and if moving your eyes down a tiny tad to see the search forums button is too much strain then I highly suggest seeing a doctor because the possibility of you have some sort of retinal problem must be high.

It's hardly like other forums where they literally cover your screen full of random junk that is irrelevant to anything whatsoever. ZARP's forums is basic, smart and easy to use and navigate through.
As I said: You are the only person I have ever heard having a problem with this :/
  • LazyBro
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 303

[Forum] Add a search bar on the right top 9 years 5 months ago #79168

You assume I am the only person with this problem as I am someone who talks about the issue.

It's not really about "we want to keep our website basic", it is common practice for a website to put a search bar on the right top of a website. It helps, it improves the website as it puts something in a place where people expect it. If people are looking for a way to search a website, they will immediately go to the top of a website as they expect to find a search bar / link there.

If it wasn't useful, major websites wouldn't have it. As Chute keeps saying, Joomla is the best framework there is, so if their website uses it, then I don't see why this website wouldn't.
  • Ruben
  • Fresh Boarder

[Forum] Add a search bar on the right top 9 years 5 months ago #79170

+Support, great idea. will make it easier and quick search!
  • Christopher S
  • Expert Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • "Anyone?"
  • Thanks received: 211

[Forum] Add a search bar on the right top 9 years 5 months ago #79172

The funny thing is, I go on forums and the first thing I see is the left hand section. Like really its really easy to navigate and stuff.
  • Studio Banter
  • Marvelous Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • ❤️
  • Thanks received: 5848

[Forum] Add a search bar on the right top 9 years 5 months ago #79174

www.nngroup.com/articles/f-shaped-pattern-reading-web-content/

Some people researched how visitors of a website read a website. it's called the F-shaped pattern / F-shape model. People first read the top bar. It's nice that the first thing you see is the left bar, but humans identify shapes more easily than text, so if they see a box with a magnifying glass next to it or the text "Search", it will draw a lot more attention than just "Search the forums", disguised between other menu elements.

For this reason, icons exist, as the iconic language is easy and understandable in any language.
  • Ruben
  • Fresh Boarder

[Forum] Add a search bar on the right top 9 years 5 months ago #79176

Isn't this shape is a rectangle?
Sometimes I argue with this type of things. Everyone is different, even though I am born right-handed, my instincts always tell me to use left hand or look left side.
  • Studio Banter
  • Marvelous Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • ❤️
  • Thanks received: 5848

[Forum] Add a search bar on the right top 9 years 5 months ago #79177

Just do a quick google for "F-shape pattern" or "F-shape model", you'll see that many people follow this design pattern. I just linked you to the first website I could find about it. There are always exceptions to the rules, as everyone is different, though, this is a common design that is being taught to people who actually study anything that has to do with interface design.
  • Ruben
  • Fresh Boarder

[Forum] Add a search bar on the right top 9 years 5 months ago #79178

Redundent and 100% uneeded. We have a very clear search feature. Located in the main navigation bar.
Chris_Smith wrote:
+Support, great idea. will make it easier and quick search!
Your joking right? As it is right now you click an search. You would have to be incredibly lazy to think that was to much work.
  • EMP
  • Community Owner
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • ZARP Owner/Developer
  • Thanks received: 3152

To Add me on Steam Click the Image Below!

Moderators: MadMagic, Kanna.
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds

265 PLAYERS ONLINE

Connect to server View Gametracker DarkRP 1
9/127
Connect to server View Gametracker Deathrun
0/40
Connect to server View Gametracker TTT
0/47
Connect to server View Gametracker Bhop
0/32