Login to ZARP
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: [Forum] Forms to replace templates

[Forum] Forms to replace templates 9 years 5 months ago #79021

I am aware that for this thread I ignored the template for suggestions, but the template seems to be aimed at the game servers, not the forum. It is not clear to me if I'm supposed to post this here as the template suggests it is aimed at the servers and the subforum's name is "Server Issues/Suggestions", thus it is not clear if forum suggestions should go here either.

I think that copying templates is something old and primitive. You always have to assume that the client (the user of the website) is stupid, and does not read anything you write. People often post without a template because they are either hard to find or they are simply too ignorant to look for one. For example, the format for reporting a player is not listed in a sticky thread, which is why I didn't use it for the first report I used.

A few examples of including "forms" into your website are the following addons for Simple Machine Forums or MyBB. One is more complex than the other, but it is up to you which complexity you decide to use when coding your own for Kunena.

custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1279
mybbhacks.zingaburga.com/showthread.php?tid=559

If you need any additional information or help in realising this idea, may it be accepted, I'd be glad to help.
  • Ruben
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 6
You don't know the man, nor his history
Login or register to post a reply.

[Forum] Forms to replace templates 9 years 5 months ago #79044

This would be a good idea if it weren't for the fact that they are applying for staff and not sending in a survey form.
Having the current system of actually having to manually look into the forums and find the template shows that the user has at least the most basic of navigation skills on the forums and ensures that they would know how to browse the forums for abuse reports or any other staff related posts. If we make it as easy as clicking a form and filling it in like that then obviously anybody's cat and dog could apply for staff. If someone applies with the wrong template then instantly it gives off a negative impression of them and shows they do not put in any effort when applying including not even checking the stickies attached to the application section of the forums.

And trust me. Most of the people who don't use the correct template first time around usually turn out to be bad staff members and don't last very long as you would expect.

Good idea but not necessary I guess.
  • LazyBro
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 303
Login or register to post a reply.
Moderators: MadMagic, Kanna.
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds

270 PLAYERS ONLINE

Connect to server View Gametracker DarkRP 1
22/127
Connect to server View Gametracker Deathrun