Login to ZARP
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: [FORUM&DISCORD Suggestion] "Revive TTT/ANY" SYSTEM

[FORUM&DISCORD Suggestion] "Revive TTT/ANY" SYSTEM 2 years 10 months ago #1333453

Server Name:
For:
Implementation:
TTT / Any other game server.
That's complicated. I would suggest for it too be a new feature in the discord and/or forums.

Suggestion Title:
"Reviving a server" Version 2 MK II
- A formal system for dedication agreements.

How would it benefit the server:
Arbitrary measurable growth. For all parties involved. In all by-proxy ways possible.

[SUGGESTION* STARTS HERE]

- This is suggestion v2, because the former, never posted, v1 also focused on issues of the server. -
- This suggestion is only focusing on the player count / server rank """"issues"""". -
- I'm going to quote past me from version 1. I don't care. I can do what i want. -

- HITTING HARD FROM THE START! -
"The servers rank has become too low for you to expect that players are gonna be around at the normal peak hours of the day. Because no one wants to join an empty server."

Why is the server dying/dead? - Why is the server empty all the time?

- It's a shame that not more data has been archived regarding player count and server rank. This is what i could find. -

Well, clearly the server isn't doing as well as it used too.
But i can tell you that: It's not that GMOD players have stopped playing.
It's just that GMOD, or rather, TTT players have gone elsewhere. On other servers. Just like the former staff members. I know that is a controversial thing to say, but the former staff i have talked with that still, sometimes, show up on the server once in awhile. Agree that: Yes, they play on other servers now. Because this server, they used to play on, is just empty, compared to the ones they play on now.

Now, i haven't gone looking for them, i don't know where, if even at all, you can find where they play. But this isn't the point of this suggestion.
So, lets get back on track!

Preliminary conclusion
We need a system to boost the player count of the server.
I suggest that there shall be made a formal agreement system that allows players to "queue" up to play at an agreed time.

Why? - and how is this meant to work?:

The concepts are easy to understand.

- "The big only get bigger"

1) Server rank
- Server rank is based on how many players the server has around the clock.
- If the server has no one playing on the server ever. Assuming it has a high rank, over time, it will slowly fall towards the lowest possible rank.
- If the server is maxed out at, lets say, 47 players around the clock it will, over time, creep towards rank 1 (the highest possible rank)

2) Player influx
- When a server is empty, no matter the rank, It gets put below the other public servers that has players online, no matter their rank.
- When a server has just 1 player on the server and it's rank 1. It gets put first, on top of, all the other servers, in the public server listing, even if the lower rank servers have way more players online on their servers.

This means that:
Any server, no matter what server rank it has. If you max-out the player count on that server (by whatever means) that server will go up in rank, and become rank 1. Once it is rank 1 it will stay rank 1 for as long as the average server count does not fall below the rank 2 server's average player count.

...So, if we take ZARP's dead TTT server and coordinate times that people are gonna join at.
Then instead of the server always being on 0-1 players. It will get a big jump to, lets say, 5 players.
Once at 5 players, and those players stay on the server for atleast a few dozen minutes. The server will only grow in player count.

As version 1 of my draft would have put it:
And congrats! You have succesfully done the equivalent of a pump-and-dump.
But everyone walks away happy, and it only cost you the time of doing it. - And the server is left alive. :lol:

Some of us sorta already do this, but on a smaller and less coordinated scale.
You know, the: "Lets repopulate the server guys"-posts.

I mean, this method could probably just not work out, because the server rank has fallen too low now(?)
- But i think that is, realistically, wayyyy too unlikely too not try it!
Aswell..
I'M PRETTY SURE THE 2V2 EVENT PROVED THAT THIS WORKS, SO I WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND WHY THIS SUGGESTION SHOULDN'T WORK ASWELL.

- Returning to the idea that server rank is prioritized over server population by default sorting filter. -

Example of low-population servers (marked in red) beating high-population servers, because the low-population servers have a higher server rank:
I think we all understand the idea that I/you probably, most of the time, click the first link in the google search results.
Likewise, the average random TTT player, probably just clickes on whichever servers happends to be in the top of their screen.

Disclaimer:
- Sometimes an empty server with a high rank can be listed above a very popluated server with a comparible bad rank
- In conjunction with the former, Sometimes a very populated server with a very bad rank can be listed way below (nearly at the bottom of) all the other servers on the public server listing.

- A theory as to why this is. I would have to say the public server listing (When sorting by rank (Default*)) it also takes into count the ping and population of the server, but rank is mostly the priority-factor.
It could also be that otherwise highly ranked servers could have been reported (for whatever reason) and is automatically being placed near the bottom of the public server listing because of that.
- And then those poorly ranked, but highly populated servers, are only surviving because its on top of the public server listing, when sorting servers by player count.

With the server (ZARP 24/7 TTT) basicly never being on more than 1 player (*always 0 players - empty*) no one is gonna be the first to join the server.

Therefore, in recent times, I, have been the first player to join the server. Lifting the server up from the bottom of the public server listing, and up along with the other servers, with players online.
- Fun fact i did this today for about 2 hours... I love staffing an empty server :D ,,,no one joined.

My experience doing this so far has been that:
[12am - 4pm] I sit alone on average about 30 min. (Sometimes almost a hour but then i give up and leave) Before some random or long time player from the community joins.
Then, most times, they leave after we play some rounds. - without anyone joining in the meantime.
Then i sit alone again for an average of about 15-20 min.
Then someone joins.
And then this time, on average, someone joins aswell. And we are now 3 players on the server.
Then, most of the time, this is when more people join over about a hour and a half. We reach about 6-8 players.
After reaching 7-8 players the server typicly reaches a standstill and the player count doesn't change for more than a hour, before people slowly leave and the server dies. THE END.
,,,But sometimes, when we have reached a standstill at 7-8 players, we get lucky and more people join, then we reach up to an average of 12 players, and a peak 14 players.
About a hour passes. And then slowly the player count goes down to 7, and then 3. Typicly it does not recover, and dies at this point. [4pm-8pm]

There are a lot of 'Sometimes', 'most of the time', 'on average', 'typicly' ect. In these anecdotes.
- This is because there is no guaranty that the server is suddenly gonna come alive.
When i sit alone and wait for players to join. I could sit forever and wait. Or someone could join and then leave before someone else joined.
And forever be in a cycle of waiting for players, 1 player joins, we play a few round, they comment on the emptyness of the server, they leave, i wait for players, someone joins, we play, they comment on the emptyness of the server, they leave...

I mean the events does do something in solving this.
But 24/7 TTT minecraft isn't really 24/7 if people are "incentivized" to only play during events; that are held once a week.
But too many events, and it just becomes another way to farm diamonds(?)

Conclusion - The actual suggestion to be consideret - What you probably just wanted to read on its own.
My suggestion for you is to make a formal, official, system that allows players (users and staff) to collectively pick a time that they would all agree to join the server on. Thereby instead of randomly joining. Or what i think most do: wait and occasionally check if there are anyone on the server. - But if no ones on the server, why join?
They pick this time. They join at the time. And who would have known, now there are a significantly more amount of players on the server at the same time.
And supposably, they are all gonna have a better time now, in comparison too just playing with 1 or 2 other players, or more realistically, alone.
How to make such a system? I don't know. - well, maybe i do. I'm thinking of something like a calendar of some sort. I'm thinking of an UI on the forums and/or discord - for those who apparently mainly use that. That makes this easy, but most important: Possible.
I mean, i say 'agree' in the way that: It is an agreement. If that means that they sign up with steamID* and stuff, and when the time comes the website/discord asks for them to open steam-app Garry's mod with the 'Connect IP' preset-thing. That's up to you :) - It would atleast be an easy way to streamline and alert the player that the to join the server, is now.

Of course this whole thing is somewhat hard to pull off, because it takes effort from a lot of people to come together and do this thing.
But you have to put in effort somewhere, to get results don't you?

Potential Issues/Exploits:
The fact that it takes human effort, dedication and passion.
But... If you have passion, you also have dedication, and the will to put in effort???!?

Additional notes:
This is getting boring

[Q&A]
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

my head hurts. i hope it isnt because of my writing lol
have at it. i hope it makes sense for you.
i followed the format but it wasnt clear were i should put all my text at. @the people that makes the templates
  • Kanna.
  • Community Developer
  • Thanks received: 300

Community Developer
Deathrun Server Owner
Prop Hunt Server Owner

EX-TTT Admin(?)
Login or register to post a reply.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anonymized359739, Nogtog

[FORUM&DISCORD Suggestion] "Revive TTT/ANY" SYSTEM 2 years 10 months ago #1333455

So what's the suggestion
  • Lewis_is_java
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Λεωνίδᾱς
  • Thanks received: 4691

[FORUM&DISCORD Suggestion] "Revive TTT/ANY" SYSTEM 2 years 10 months ago #1333464

I got to the end and forgot what the post was about, but I'll support it anyway :plussp:
  • Boxy
  • Diamond Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Poecilotheria metallica
  • Thanks received: 1039

[FORUM&DISCORD Suggestion] "Revive TTT/ANY" SYSTEM 2 years 10 months ago #1333474

Ngl i doubt this idea would work, even if it sounds brilliant, because people don't want to follow a schedule to join a server (i might not be grasping the full concept). Even then, the amount of work and time that went into this is insane so big :clap: for that
  • Nogtog
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 3413
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Nogtog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oscar Bobb

[FORUM&DISCORD Suggestion] "Revive TTT/ANY" SYSTEM 2 years 10 months ago #1333476

A web interactive calendar with steam login support is a lot of work. Plus then you'll need someone to manage and maintain the calendar and after 2 weeks people will stop using it.

An alternative could just be to add a TTT player role on discord so anyone who wants to play ttt can @TTT players to alert them to join. Until someone spams it and nobody wants the role anymore. But it could be considered.
  • Nay
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 678
✯✯ Former TTT Server Owner✯✯
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nogtog

[FORUM&DISCORD Suggestion] "Revive TTT/ANY" SYSTEM 2 years 10 months ago #1333511

Whilst I appreciate the effort you put into writing all of this, you could’ve just said three simple words;

Make Jim_Jam Owner
  • Jim_Jam
  • Former Community Manager
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • TTT is my child ❤️
  • Thanks received: 3491
The following user(s) said Thank You: jam

[FORUM&DISCORD Suggestion] "Revive TTT/ANY" SYSTEM 2 years 10 months ago #1333512

This suggestion kind of seems to read as “the server has fewer players than it did in the past. to solve this, get more players”.

Anyone is free to coordinate times they get onto the server by communicating with friends, making forum posts, etc. - I don’t really feel like there’s much of a real suggestion for changes by us in this post?
  • TheXnator
  • Former Owner
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • "Save the tears for when we win!"
  • Thanks received: 4302
Discord: thexnator

Former Community Owner: 2020-2022
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lewis_is_java, Kanna., alit, Boxy, God dammit Ross

[FORUM&DISCORD Suggestion] "Revive TTT/ANY" SYSTEM 2 years 10 months ago #1333524

Yes. To get more players, we need to get more players.

This whole thing builds on a thought that i have:
That there are players, that want too play, and that are just waiting for other players to play with.
But the thing stopping them from actually playing is that no one is playing at the time that they check.

So this whole suggestion thing is to make a more, centralized, streamline and easy way for
these passive players to meet up at a time that they all know that there WILL be players on, to play with.

I am entirely okay with my suggestion being denied.
- I understand that my suggestion is an overshoot in ambition, and unnecessary, when one could just make posts on the forums to gather people.

So that is what i will do from now on.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, i do appriciate it much. :)
  • Kanna.
  • Community Developer

Community Developer
Deathrun Server Owner
Prop Hunt Server Owner

EX-TTT Admin(?)

[FORUM&DISCORD Suggestion] "Revive TTT/ANY" SYSTEM 2 years 10 months ago #1333530

Kanna. wrote:
Yes. To get more players, we need to get more players.

This whole thing builds on a thought that i have:
That there are players, that want too play, and that are just waiting for other players to play with.
But the thing stopping them from actually playing is that no one is playing at the time that they check.

So this whole suggestion thing is to make a more, centralized, streamline and easy way for
these passive players to meet up at a time that they all know that there WILL be players on, to play with.

I am entirely okay with my suggestion being denied.
- I understand that my suggestion is an overshoot in ambition, and unnecessary, when one could just make posts on the forums to gather people.

So that is what i will do from now on.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, i do appriciate it much. :)
It won't get denied because your suggestion is an "overshoot in ambition" but because their is not a suggestion it all, it just seems like your suggestion to get more players to play is to force people to a time schedule to play which seems like the opposite of fun, rather than it being a game you can hop on it's now a job/chore to hop on to artificially boost the server to get the attention of new players
  • Lewis_is_java
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Λεωνίδᾱς
  • Thanks received: 4691

[FORUM&DISCORD Suggestion] "Revive TTT/ANY" SYSTEM 2 years 10 months ago #1333532

Deathrun server rank

TTT server rank

I know server rank isn't exactly player count but its the best way to visualize the problem.

I think a split player base is the most probable cause. PS all pretty much have the same player base so when TTT players started getting staff on other servers and playing them over TTT it caused the TTT server to die pretty quick as all the players with the best activity no longer had 100 hours+ on the server. The only way to revive at this point would be to get an influx of new players but that won't happen any time soon imo and its not something that can really be done with an update.

So your solution, although a solution to a problem, I don't think would work to revive the server as it isnt a solution to this problem.
  • PZGrens
  • Expert Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • You the shit to me
  • Thanks received: 548
Steam Profile
Ex TTT admin x2
Ex Minecraft Admin
Ex Surf Moderator
Ex Deathrun Admin
Ex SSRP Moderator x2
Ex Community Council member
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by PZGrens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrokeNXD, Nogtog

[FORUM&DISCORD Suggestion] "Revive TTT/ANY" SYSTEM 2 years 10 months ago #1333533

TTT Takeover is to blame

PS

Deathrun #1
  • Oscar Bobb
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 2027

-Jmt's a big stinking nonce
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hellsdevil, Rule, Red., Nogtog

[FORUM&DISCORD Suggestion] "Revive TTT/ANY" SYSTEM 2 years 10 months ago #1333536

I'm not advocating that people should be forced to play if they don't want to.

I'm saying that now the server has flatlined at zero players. It isn't going to organically go above that again.

What i am suggesting is that for those that want to play, but indirectly can't. - Because in TTT you cannot play alone. You have to have atleast 2 players on the server for a round to start. - One of the only ways to allow these few people to play, is to have some level of coordination as to when they would join the server for an actual round of TTT to start.

Yes, this suggestion does have the elements from an earlier draft that went all-out on how to artificially boost the player count too its max. But ofcourse this - in all ways realistic - would have to be done unethically. (Even in the case of using bots.) And i don't belive that is a good idea. So i didn't go into detail about that.

This, my suggestion, is far from perfect or even complete. I know that. And that's also fair for you to criticize.

But i'm not saying that people should be forced to play against their will.
  • Kanna.
  • Community Developer

Community Developer
Deathrun Server Owner
Prop Hunt Server Owner

EX-TTT Admin(?)

[FORUM&DISCORD Suggestion] "Revive TTT/ANY" SYSTEM 2 years 10 months ago #1333545

Maybe people just realized there are better games to play than ttt

Zarp TTT is nowhere near a "deception based" game compared to some newer games, it doesn't allow mistakes or pure luck and you actually get punished for playing the game how it was originally meant to be played; "Don't kill based on suspicion" what?

Of course I do realize things are like this to avoid mayhem with 40+ players but the fact that players avoid using brain or deduction to not get their gameplay paused by some dude holding a staff rank makes TTT just not that type of a game.

I just joined to chill and chat shit with the players
  • Gin
  • Senior Boarder
  • d:-D
  • Thanks received: 556
The following user(s) said Thank You: Miia

[FORUM&DISCORD Suggestion] "Revive TTT/ANY" SYSTEM 2 years 10 months ago #1333546

Just do what deathrun done, their posting methods seemed adequate as long as the poster isn't cringe to the extent no one wants to play with them.
  • Boxy
  • Diamond Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Poecilotheria metallica
  • Thanks received: 1039
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Boxy.

[FORUM&DISCORD Suggestion] "Revive TTT/ANY" SYSTEM 2 years 10 months ago #1333548

Jim_Jam wrote:
Whilst I appreciate the effort you put into writing all of this, you could’ve just said three simple words;

Make Jim_Jam Owner
(Henny is a better owner)

if I'm being honest deathrun has popping off because of the posts and people taking care of the community if I'm being honest I have seen many TTT players start playing on deathrun.

but personally, I think your suggestion is great.

But xnator has a point to make forum posts telling people to join ttt that's how deathrun was revived because of the posts.
  • Anonymized359739
  • User is blocked
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 390
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by Anonymized359739.

[FORUM&DISCORD Suggestion] "Revive TTT/ANY" SYSTEM 2 years 10 months ago #1334202

argon and i still have hope that prop hunt and ttt will eventually spark up and get many players playing. for now, there might just be a drought.

i still have hopes for prop hunt and ttt that there will be a spark to restart both playerbases and get them up and running again.

we all share the same concerns... maybe one day it will come back to life. :)

good luck!
  • Poltergeist
  • Expert Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • loud ghost
  • Thanks received: 497
Prop Hunt Super Administrator

Ex-Prop Hunt Administrator
Ex-TTT Administrator
Ex-Prop Hunt Moderator
Moderators: Kanna.