Login to ZARP
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Private messaging between players idea

Private messaging between players idea 4 years 4 months ago #1224742

Hey guys!

Sorry for the formatting I’m writing on my iPhone 11. I had an idea and was told to post it to the forums to see if anyone was interested! (Or if it was even possible!)

I was playing some TTT earlier this evening and I tried to privately message a fellow player a question whilst we had both been confirmed dead but found I was unable to. I had to resort to typing to the player in the public chat that I was sending them the following message privately in hopes that everyone else on the server would then know not to continue reading the message.

This was the format I used for reference.

The talking dog from Family Guy: (This is a private message to <players name>) Question asked.

Unfortunately not everyone stopped reading after they saw the message wasn’t for them and read the message I intended to be private. Some then called me names which I didn’t appreciate, calling me an idiot for thinking nobody would read it as it was in a public chat. I do now, as I’m wrong this sort of get why people would read it. The game mode after all is about being inquisitive and being suspicious of players to try and find out who is lying. When everyone is in the investigative mood they might try and look into people actions and in my case messages, so I can forgive those players (even though it hurt my feelings).

I was then informed by one of your helpful mods that private messaging is possible however only to moderators and admins. The reason for this was to prevent ghosting which was completely understandable. I was just wondering (along with a few other players) if it was possible to allow private messages to other regular players whilst we are out of action. There can be a lot of arguing sometimes between players and the noise can become very loud (especially with my noise cancelling headphones on) and so I feel if other players can interact privately with each other this may in fact improve the mood of the server at certain times as there’s less arguing and more laughter!

Another reason is because sometimes people spam the chat with memes (I personally find this hilarious but others sometimes don’t) so if we could private message memes between consenting players this could also get rid of some spam comments that clog up the chat!

Thanks for your time.

- The talking dog from Family Guy B)
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Talking dog from Family Guy.
The topic has been locked.

Private messaging between players idea 4 years 4 months ago #1224743

just add them on steam?
  • Chespin
  • Legendary Member
  • stay outta tha fiyah
  • Thanks received: 1337
Ex-TTT Super Administrator
Ex-Prop Hunt Super Administrator x2
Ex-Team Fortress 2 Super Administrator
Ex-TTT Administrator x3
Ex-Community Council Member
Ex-Server Applications Forum Mod

Private messaging between players idea 4 years 4 months ago #1224746

Good read. Cool to hear you have an iPhone 11 my mum only got me a 7 and I'm litcherally so angry at her.

As for your pm suggestion why not just report a player and type your message in the report file? This seems to be the best method so far. I do agree PMing needs to be introduced however. Reports can only include around 270 characters. Additionally if the player accidentally chooses not to forgive you instead of cancelling the report this can involve you being in an admin chat where there is a third person to read your PM's. I welcome this suggestion and look forward to the admins reviewing this and potentially introducing this to the server. Always good to hear from the ZARP community. B)

MrBossFTW
  • Snip3s_Sas
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 3

Private messaging between players idea 4 years 4 months ago #1224747

I understand I can do that but it can take a lot of time and also I don’t want to clog up my friends list because It’s busy enough as it is! If we could do this it would be instantaneous!

Private messaging between players idea 4 years 4 months ago #1224748

Snip3s_Sas wrote:
Good read. Cool to hear you have an iPhone 11 my mum only got me a 7 and I'm litcherally so angry at her.

As for your pm suggestion why not just report a player and type your message in the report file? This seems to be the best method so far. I do agree PMing needs to be introduced however. Reports can only include around 270 characters. Additionally if the player accidentally chooses not to forgive you instead of cancelling the report this can involve you being in an admin chat where there is a third person to read your PM's. I welcome this suggestion and look forward to the admins reviewing this and potentially introducing this to the server. Always good to hear from the ZARP community. B)

MrBossFTW
Some staff members will warn you for using the report system for private messages so I'd find another way if I were you
  • Chespin
  • Legendary Member
  • stay outta tha fiyah
Ex-TTT Administrator x3

Private messaging between players idea 4 years 4 months ago #1224750

Chespin wrote:
Snip3s_Sas wrote:

MrBossFTW
Some staff members will warn you for using the report system for private messages so I'd find another way if I were you

That could be where this system comes into play!

Private messaging between players idea 4 years 4 months ago #1224752

Thanks for the heads up mate. Seems a tad harsh tbh. On a game like this that rewards solving complex problems you'd really think the mods would reward us for working around the lack of a pm system by making use of the report function to write messages in a clear and cohesive format. Thanks though I will attempt to find another way around being able to privately message players.
  • Snip3s_Sas
  • Fresh Boarder

Private messaging between players idea 4 years 4 months ago #1224753

!p <name>
That’s how you private msg players
  • BCAT
  • Gold Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Future deathrun owner
  • Thanks received: 674
★Ex SSRP Admin★
★Ex Deathrun SuperAdmin★
★Ex Teamspeak/Discord Staff★
★Ex PropHunt/TTT Admin★

Private messaging between players idea 4 years 4 months ago #1224754

BDOG876 wrote:
!p <name>
read the post
  • Chespin
  • Legendary Member
  • stay outta tha fiyah
Ex-TTT Administrator x3

Private messaging between players idea 4 years 4 months ago #1224756

Forgot to say I looooove the memes in the chat loool were you online when 'somebody toucha my spaghett' was said
  • Snip3s_Sas
  • Fresh Boarder

Private messaging between players idea 4 years 4 months ago #1224757

Chespin wrote:
BDOG876 wrote:
!p <name>
read the post
No
  • BCAT
  • Gold Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Future deathrun owner
★Ex SSRP Admin★
★Ex Deathrun SuperAdmin★
★Ex PropHunt/TTT Admin★

Private messaging between players idea 4 years 4 months ago #1224758

Snip3s_Sas wrote:
Forgot to say I looooove the memes in the chat loool were you online when 'somebody toucha my spaghett' was said

Yeah lol

Private messaging between players idea 4 years 4 months ago #1224759

BDOG876 wrote:
Chespin wrote:
BDOG876 wrote:
!p <name>
read the post
No
night night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bight
  • Buffy
  • Gold Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • ❤️ Rex ❤️
  • Thanks received: 2228
The following user(s) said Thank You: BCAT

Private messaging between players idea 4 years 4 months ago #1224760

Buffy wrote:
BDOG876 wrote:
Chespin wrote:
BDOG876 wrote:
!p <name>
read the post
No
night night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bightnight night dont let the bet bugs bight
Night night don’t let the bet bugs bite
  • BCAT
  • Gold Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Future deathrun owner
★Ex SSRP Admin★
★Ex Deathrun SuperAdmin★
★Ex PropHunt/TTT Admin★

Private messaging between players idea 4 years 4 months ago #1224761

Great thread. Great suggestions. Unfortunately I have to go to bed now but here have an upvote :clap: I hope this matter can be reviewed as I am a big advocate for it personally. Private messaging would be invaluable for forming close bonds with other players and would truly allow all players joined together by their mutual love of ZARP to come together in camaraderie. It would also combat bullies as I often get called simp for expressing my messages over the mic. Good luck for all of our sakes. Well done talking dog from family guy very cool

-

MrBossFTW B)
  • Snip3s_Sas
  • Fresh Boarder

Private messaging between players idea 4 years 4 months ago #1224799

Snip3s_Sas wrote:

MrBossFTW
BossManFuckTheWorld lmao
  • Davidov007
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expect me to write, a lot.
  • Thanks received: 756
♠ Ex-TTT Head Administrator ♠

Private messaging between players idea 4 years 4 months ago #1224815

Talking dog from Family Guy wrote:
Sorry for the formatting I’m writing on my iPhone 11.
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

All jokes aside, I don't see a point for the users being able to dm each other. One major issue is that most people will abuse rather than use the feature. People will be really toxic and inflammatory towards each other through the means of in-game DMs.
I think DMs should strictly stay usable for communication between staff members and users, not just users. Because I definitely think that the feature would mostly be used in discriminatory/toxic manners due to the staff not being able to monitor it.

No thanks.
  • Vodka4Gaben
  • Diamond Boarder
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • LeBron "King" James
  • Thanks received: 1516

Ex - TTT Server Owner

Ex - TTT Head Administrator
Ex - TTT Super Administrator
Ex - TeamSpeak/Discord Staff x2
Ex - Forum Staff
Ex - TTT Administrator x3
Ex - Deathrun Administrator
Ex - TTT Moderator x4
Ex - TF2 Moderator
Ex - Deathrun Moderator
Ex - Murder Moderator
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Vodka4Gaben.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Annie Moonise

Private messaging between players idea 4 years 4 months ago #1224822

The reason why users cant pm other users is because they can abuse it by ghosting and disrespecting while the staff can't see them as they are pms. The reason the pm command for users is there is to pm staff members maybe about somebody rulebreaking which can also be done using asay. Like other people have said, if you want to talk to them privately, add them on Steam or Discord or anything else that works.
  • Annie Moonise
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • Ex Deathrun Server Owner
  • Thanks received: 881
Ex Deathrun Server Owner
Ex TeamSpeak Staff
Ex Forum Staff - Deathrun Moderator Section

Private messaging between players idea 4 years 4 months ago #1224825

No private messaging won't be added because if it would be a thing people could ghost and tell who is the t and who is not add them on discord or steam if u wanna ask a question like that and not in-game atm u can only PM admins/mods on the server but if u do add them on steam/discord tell the private msg there and don't ghost
  • KingUniverse
  • Senior Boarder
  • Daddy Vankbros :3
  • Thanks received: 71

Private messaging between players idea 4 years 4 months ago #1224839

It was a feature, got abused and got removed. As others have said you can PM staff, but that's it.

It won't be added back anytime soon.
  • hazzenator
  • Expert Boarder
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • Thanks received: 656

✪ SSRP Balla ✪
✪ Ex Minecraft Head Administrator ✪
✪ Ex TTT Head Administrator ✪
✪ Ex SSRP Administrator ✪
✪ Ex Forum/ TS Staff ✪
  • Page: