Login to ZARP
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What

What 4 years 8 months ago #1155448

* What about a new fun gamemode ?
Hi,
I've been working for the past week on a new gamemode called King.
It's a fun fast-paced gamemode and the few people who tried it for now really liked it !
But unfortunately it's impossible for me to make a successful gamemode with the current server browser, I need a network to help me get players to try the gamemode, that's why I'd like to host the gamemode on a server owned by a big network like ZARP.
The rules are a bit complicated to explain with text, I'll do my best since I don't speak natively english but it's better to try it yourself and make your own opinion.

Your goal in this gamemode is to be the first one with 250 reputation points.
You can earn reputation points either by being the king or by stealing the reputation points of other players by killing them.
To become the king, you have to be the player with the most reputation points.
You can spend these points to buy health, weapons and props, but don't spend too much or you'll never be king ! (nor winner !)
The more victories you get, the more upgrades you unlock. (small ones so the game stays balanced)

The gamemode is really fun with more than 3 players since the king have to survive using all the tools available to buy against the other players. The non-kings can also try to get more rep. points than the king to take his status.

Also, players have a lot of ways to move. There's a "boost" when you jump to encourage BHOP, there's a damage reduction applied to explosives when you're moving fast to encourage rocketumps, and finally there's the superjump and extra legs powerups.

I'm currently working on random events, achievements and a shop to buy skins.
Thanks for reading, I hope you'll give the gamemode a try !
  • Gabwiel
  • Fresh Boarder
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Gabwiel. Reason: Wrong title, woops
Login or register to post a reply.

What 4 years 8 months ago #1155449

ehhhh gl?
  • maybedovahkitty
  • User is blocked
  • ZARP VIP
  • Бог мертв
  • Thanks received: 1226
Most people are searching for happiness. They’re looking for it. They’re trying to find it in someone or something outside of themselves. That’s a fundamental mistake. Happiness is something that you are, and it comes from the way you think.

What 4 years 8 months ago #1155450

Is there a video of the gamemode or?
  • Clarky
  • Former Community Manager
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • I love Henny
  • Thanks received: 9536

What 4 years 8 months ago #1155457

What benefit does being king have?
What does killing the king do for you?
If we take a game mode like Murder for example, it is fun because everyone are suspicious of each other because they do not know who is who as well as innocent or not, but in this king game mode, I feel as though people would just target the king over playing the game to gain rep points, which doesn't seem very fun.
  • Micky
  • Mythical Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 7912
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Micky.
The following user(s) said Thank You: schnitzel nazi

What 4 years 8 months ago #1155539

I can make a video but this will only be me playing with inactive bots
The benefit of being the king is that you earn 1 rep. point per second
Also, when you are the king, everyone can see how many points you have and how far away you are from them
  • Gabwiel
  • Fresh Boarder

What 4 years 8 months ago #1155544

Gabwiel wrote:
The rules are a bit complicated to explain with text, I'll do my best since I don't speak natively english but it's better to try it yourself and make your own opinion.

Don't worry, It's understandable enough.

Gabwiel wrote:
You can earn reputation points either by being the king or by stealing the reputation points of other players by killing them.

Have you made a system yet as to how many points a person would get when killing the king or the players? Also, by being the king I assume you gather points per seconds(?), how many points would the King receive per second then? 0.5/second; 1/second?

Gabwiel wrote:
You can spend these points to buy health, weapons and props, but don't spend too much or you'll never be king ! (nor winner !)

Mind giving some examples as to which weapons would be present in this gamemode?

Gabwiel wrote:
The more victories you get, the more upgrades you unlock. (small ones so the game stays balanced)

What would these upgrades be? Would you unlock these upgrades each time you win or would you have to win multiple times before proceeding to unlock them?

Gabwiel wrote:
The gamemode is really fun with more than 3 players since the king have to survive using all the tools available to buy against the other players. The non-kings can also try to get more rep. points than the king to take his status.

What's the minimum and maximum amount of players the game can have in order to function properly?

Gabwiel wrote:
Also, players have a lot of ways to move. There's a "boost" when you jump to encourage BHOP, there's a damage reduction applied to explosives when you're moving fast to encourage rocketumps, and finally there's the superjump and extra legs powerups.

Interesting - Do you have good knowledge of LUA (and possibly Hammer)? It'd be best if the person who thought of the gamemode fully designs it himself.

Gabwiel wrote:

Nice, hopefully you'll be willing to share screenshots of it so we can all get a glimpse look at it. ;)

Gabwiel wrote:

I'm not a part of the higher-up collective we call the Community Team but I highly doubt they will be willing to give you a whole server for you to test this project. Though I'm sure they would be willing to try it out somewhere else. It could, possibly, be a good event on SSRP - If you didn't know, we have events on Server 1 such as Falling Tiles, Chairs of Death, TDM's, etc. This could potentially be a good addition to the current list of events on SSRP if designed properly. :)
  • Mr. Richard
  • Former Community Manager
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • Thanks received: 5418

What 4 years 8 months ago #1155572

Richard Pinewood wrote:
Gabwiel wrote:

Don't worry, It's understandable enough.

Gabwiel wrote:

Have you made a system yet as to how many points a person would get when killing the king or the players? Also, by being the king I assume you gather points per seconds(?), how many points would the King receive per second then? 0.5/second; 1/second?

Gabwiel wrote:

Mind giving some examples as to which weapons would be present in this gamemode?

Gabwiel wrote:

What would these upgrades be? Would you unlock these upgrades each time you win or would you have to win multiple times before proceeding to unlock them?

Gabwiel wrote:

What's the minimum and maximum amount of players the game can have in order to function properly?

Gabwiel wrote:

Interesting - Do you have good knowledge of LUA (and possibly Hammer)? It'd be best if the person who thought of the gamemode fully designs it himself.

Gabwiel wrote:

Nice, hopefully you'll be willing to share screenshots of it so we can all get a glimpse look at it. ;)

Gabwiel wrote:

I'm not a part of the higher-up collective we call the Community Team but I highly doubt they will be willing to give you a whole server for you to test this project. Though I'm sure they would be willing to try it out somewhere else. It could, possibly, be a good event on SSRP - If you didn't know, we have events on Server 1 such as Falling Tiles, Chairs of Death, TDM's, etc. This could potentially be a good addition to the current list of events on SSRP if designed properly. :)
It'd just seem really similar to king of the hill to me, and if it were made into a event, how would the king actually be decided?
From what I am reading, there needs to be at least 1 round where the player with the most score gets to become king until they're beaten in another round, or unless being king is randomly generated.
  • Micky
  • Mythical Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
The following user(s) said Thank You: schnitzel nazi, Mr. Richard

What 4 years 8 months ago #1155631

Here's some gameplay videos to answer most of your questions :

I consider having a pretty good LUA knowledge, but I still have a ton of stuff to learn !
The gamemode can be played from 2 to how much players the current map supports.
The king isn't random at all, the current player with the most reputation points becomes the king, it can change very quickly.
As a king you have many strategies to adopt, you can setup a tiny base using the props+SLAMs, try to hide yourself, or try to fight the non-kings. The king runs a bit slower than the non-kings, so he can't run away from them.

EDIT: Also, the gamemode is very light, only 500ko to download

EDIT 2: Another thing I forgot to mention, the text chat is anonymized : if the king talks you'll see "The king said : ", if a non-king talks you'll see "Someone said : " and if someone dead talks you'll see "A zombie said :"
In addition, the voice chat is proximity based.

EDIT 3: There's an assists system. If you someone you hit dies from fall damages or kill himself, you'll still get his rep. points
  • Gabwiel
  • Fresh Boarder
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Gabwiel.

What 4 years 8 months ago #1155649

Gabwiel wrote:
Here's some gameplay videos to answer most of your questions :

I consider having a pretty good LUA knowledge, but I still have a ton of stuff to learn !
The gamemode can be played from 2 to how much players the current map supports.
The king isn't random at all, the current player with the most reputation points becomes the king, it can change very quickly.
As a king you have many strategies to adopt, you can setup a tiny base using the props+SLAMs, try to hide yourself, or try to fight the non-kings. The king runs a bit slower than the non-kings, so he can't run away from them.

(EDIT: Also, the gamemode is very light, only 500ko to download)
So basically everyone starts off as normal and I imagine that the person who gets the most points throughout the round becomes king?
So the king can constantly be alternating throughout a single round I imagine?
If this is the case, then as Richard said before, this would be ideal for the hourly events on server one, or the classic server if it comes.
  • Micky
  • Mythical Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
The following user(s) said Thank You: schnitzel nazi

What 4 years 8 months ago #1155666

Yup that's it ! Also if a non-king kills enough other non-kings then he can get more rep. points than the king himself and will steal his status.
How frequent are these hourly events ? I've never been on server one, I only play surf most of the time
  • Gabwiel
  • Fresh Boarder
Moderators: MadMagic, Kanna.
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds

144 PLAYERS ONLINE

Connect to server View Gametracker DarkRP 1
4/127
Connect to server View Gametracker Deathrun
0/40
Connect to server View Gametracker TTT
0/47