Login to ZARP
Username: Password: Remember me

Poll: Would you like to see this as a future server?

Yes 18 75%
No - Please Explain Why 6 25%
Total number of voters: 24 ( SyStem, TheCorgi, Jason., Jeppe, Magik ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Page:

TOPIC: Classic Semi-Serious Roleplay - Discussion

Classic Semi-Serious Roleplay - Discussion 6 years 3 months ago #812433

WARNING: There will be no TL;DR to this thread, do not support or vote on the poll unless you've read it and gotten a rough idea.

This is going to be a suggestion and discussion about the idea of a 'Vanilla Semi-Serious Roleplay Server', the idea isn't actually vanilla as such as there was even older versions of ZARP than the one people seem to want, the time people were talking about was around 2015, to make it clearer, just after the banking update, this is what I will be suggesting at least.

I will leave the template at the bottom of the thread but for now I will be following a list of items in terms of importance, I believe the reason that the Community Team are worried about this not working is due to the server staying active and players complaining about there being no new content, so I will be starting with this.

Keeping the Server Alive

I believe that keeping the player count up would be a lot easier than people may think, the way that the servers used to work back then was that cash was a lot harder to obtain and very easy to spend, players back then would spend a lot more time on the server just for what would we seen as a tiny amount of cash nowadays.

I know for a fact I would spend at least 6 hours on ZARP a day just to get certain items, for example I based for 2 days straight just for a car, I believe with a new server that's a complete restart, players will be definitely be on the server a lot longer at a time than on the current SSRP servers due to grinding for items.

I imagine that with updates you can do a lot, all it requires is a little imagination. I was thinking that every update (e.g: Christmas Update) you could change the map, do larger lotteries and lots more.

I know that we have specifically said to not add in new items and just keep it how it used to be, but surely adding in suits that do not have special abilities would not harm, for example the designer suit, it's a nice harmless suit, it's also somewhat rare. Exclusive items that don't add anything but cosmetics to the server would be a nice touch for items, but that's just an idea.

I do believe that a 64 player count would be a good start for the server, I can imagine if and when the server was the be released it would be full for the first week or so then it would settle out to a regular player count, if players are genuinely interested like they say they are then the server will keep a steady player count for a very long time, if the people who own it keep it updated properly without adding or changing too much to stray away from the original idea.

Main Features of the Server

Money
Money will be something that is very hard to obtain and very easy to spend, unlike how it is currently, I have noticed after a long time of playing on the current servers I've noticed that I've rarely gone above $100,000,000 without sacrificing anything important, that is in terms of items.

I am going to end up mentioning this a lot but comparisons are important and is something that is going to make this thread into what it is. I am also going to go off of personal experience, I feel this should be okay as I share a lot of experience with a lot of other users who are still about.

Players will be on the server a lot longer to obtain what could be seen as a small amount now, this wouldn't be the case back then, as I mentioned earlier; items are not something you just throwaway like you do now, if you lose something as small as even a Milkor it will take a big blow to your wallet, I don't even want to get into how long it would have taken you or someone you've bought from to obtain that Milkor, every item during this time was crafted and not magically formed through chucking $5.00 into someone's wallet for a Weapons Case.

Cars
Cars were a very large sign of wealth and were an awesome method of transportation for printers from base to base, which happened a lot considering people looted printers a lot, and without printers hackers it's kinda difficult to move them about. Most of the time when you raided people you risked your own loot just for an extra nuclear printer, then to get that nuclear printer back to your base you would either have to make a mad unarmed dash to your base with the printer, or discreetly shove it in the back of your Ford Raptor™ and drive back to your base.

Players would save up for weeks on end just for a Ferrari 458, Aston Martin or Audi R8. Cars were also an added part of bases to defend, most players would blow up their car after they've used it but a lot of other players would also just keep it in the garage of their base so they could use it to just cruise around as a bragging right to show off how much they've spent on a car. It also sucked when your car got scrapped because you know you have to first wait before getting your car back and that person who scrapped your car just got some sweet cash.

Printers & Drugs
The printers back in early 2015 were very stable, they made just the right amount of money to get what you wanted and still allowed you to feel pretty shitty when you got raided because it takes a lot longer to make money compared to now. Basing felt a lot slower and going AFK was a much, much larger risk than now.

Basing now seems to be very fast paced with an explosive hitting your base every few minutes which is a major downside for new players who can only defend themselves from a Juggernaut Suit with a shotgun for example. New players to ZARP never really tend to have any knowledge on how the server works, that's the issue with current ZARP I feel.

I think that players who were new would have had a lot higher of a chance to defend a base from a fair rifle vs rifle raid compared to now. Therefore you don't have to have a panic attack the second you place down a printer and it being instantly seen due to some dude with a Scan Master running around.

Mushrooms and Mushrooms will also see an increase in use as they were a very large source of income especially when combined with patience and printers, if you are willing to sit there for an hour or two you'll probably receive an extra $5,000,000; maybe more I've done no research on how much the drugs make an hour. Whenever I base now I rarely see anyone using the growing system purely because it isn't worth it, since having over $100,000,000 is the equivalent of being a homeless person.

Uranium Printers were also a risky purchase and were also a very slow painstaking process to get special weapons, it was very difficult to get Uranium as the printer used to only drop 2 Uranium every time it ticked over, which also took a long time.

Weapons
Comparing how the server is now compared to how it used to be you notice that basing if you try to base you're just not going to have much fun, if you're new you're your base will probably last 'till around the 15 minute mark (not including building) before it is blown to smithereens and your base is ruined, leaving you with less than you had before you stuck the base up.

Basing during 2015 felt equal on both sides to a degree, if the other player had an M202 for example, they would have waited for that thing to get to that last 10 seconds of the drop / holster timer before shooting even a single bullet at your base. People pretty much never run at your base whilst wielding an explosive weapon, it wasn't because they didn't want to risk being killed for no reason, it was because both players would both generally be in the 100 - 300 health range (Morphine).

I see now that on ZARP players have very little chance to defend themselves if they are new if they are put in a raid against someone such as myself who has been on for a lot longer, purely because I have had more time to accumulate weapons and so many of them that I'm not afraid to lose one 'small' M202 for a Sapphire Printer. This would not have been the case as I previously stated, one M202 was a lot to have, now it is not.

Working for weapons would also be revived, rather than seeing players AFK mining you would see a majority of players actually mining for Steel actively. Weapons will not come out of thin air and should hopefully should be a very small thing in the server. Weapons cases should not see the light of day on this server and the same should go for Blueprints cases.

Gangs
I would like to see gangs have the original set of gang upgrades, none of this Prop Reinforcement rubbish, it's not fun to play against everyone's bases should take the same damage regardless of the gangs upgrades. Prop Reinforcement didn't feel like it was too far but if you were to take all the current weapons out of the situation and leave us with the original few then those upgrades seem a little overpowered.

I may end up being corrected but I believe that the original gang upgrades were; Tommy Gun, Un-arrest Stick, Machete, Armour Boost, Craft Anywhere and Drug Limit. These upgrades felt very fitting during those times and didn't feel too harsh for the players to be against, they were also fairly priced compared to the upgrades nowadays.

As far as I am aware gang chat wasn't added until later in the year, maybe 2016 again I may stand corrected on this so it's a rough guess, but it definitely wasn't something around when gangs were in their early stages. I would like to see gang chat staying about however as it's a very useful feature and would be something we asked for during this times.

Maps
I think many will agree with me when I say Evilmelon was the map that fitted ZARP perfectly with the server and the way things ran, everything felt close together and comfortable, it's also rumoured that Pariz is making a remastered map for Evilmelon, so rather than sticking on the current SSRP servers where it may see the same issues that bloc_42 saw when brought back, it didn't run properly.

So if you were to take it and place it onto this suggestion with a lower player count, without explosive weapons being shot every 5 seconds and a map that already runs very well, you will have a very well suited server tailored to your every need.

You never know this could prove to be a big success and a second server may be required and you could use a different version of rp_downtown, I'm not 1000% sure about maps but what I am sure about is the fact that Evilmelon was the best map ZARP has allowed onto the server, followed closely by rp_townsend.

There's really not much to say about maps other than do pick a map that is too large such as Evo City.

Management and Development

I believe that if you are going to allow this server to be made then there should be no limitations on who codes it, I do advise however that the team should consist of a few people who have good knowledge of how things used to work and to not have a few people jump on the project without any knowledge of the old times and just stick a few things together and go voila, it works!

I know in the past RedPowder mentioned in the past that if they were to do this it just wouldn't run as well as we're expecting it to and we would experience a lot of crashing, I'm sure this is something that can be fixed, every bug and glitch has a fix.

There will be many things that can be brought onto this server from the current ZARP, like I mentioned before a gang chat. There will be many changes that could be made to refresh players, I also mentioned you don't have to add in new weapons or over powered stuff into the server for it to be refreshing, exclusive items that do not give advantages would work perfectly fine.

I do not want personally want to be part of any team that develops this as I do not believe I have the greatest reputation in the community, however many others who are still about still uphold a very good reputation and a good knowledge of server management, maybe they could be the people to ask, if they are willing of course.

Closing Message

I would really like a civil discussion and for there to be no drama on this thread, I am really passionate about the old servers getting revived so I do not want chances to be ruined. I do really believe that we will see this again in the future and I was willing to spend 2 days on a suggestion, I didn't write it all at once but every time I had an idea of what to say I added to the thread.

If you do happen to vote no on the suggestion please add your reason why because it's just really unhelpful when you do so.

If you are willing to construct such a server you should also make your own suggestion showcasing what you have in mind for a server as would be better rather than just sticking it down as a comment on this thread which is bound to get buried in another load of replies.

Maybe if this gets enough attention and support then the Community Team will actually considering allowing this to happen.

Thanks a ton for reading.

Suggestion Template for those who want it [ Click to expand ]
  • Nafe
  • Former Community Manager
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • Thanks received: 8582
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Nafe.
Login or register to post a reply.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jeppe

Classic Semi-Serious Roleplay - Discussion 6 years 3 months ago #812436

:plussp:
  • Sam the Sausage
  • Diamond Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • jutzu
  • Thanks received: 1642

Classic Semi-Serious Roleplay - Discussion 6 years 3 months ago #812445

Who do you honestly think is going to do this? Back in the day that gamemode couldn’t even support 60 people running fine its filled with bugs and glitches and neeeded improvements that took Chute and I years to make. Plus do you honestly think we would give access to our gamemode to anyone other then the most trusted in the community the owners? To many times in the past people with access to our code have used that once they get demoted to fuck us over. This hasn’t happened on DarkRP because only Chute and I have access to the codebase.

I’ve also thankfully had the opportunity to try something very similar to this on Friendly Players where people begged for us to go back to the old 2012 gamemode. When we finally agreed people liked it for a little bit but guess what happened they got bored affter a few weeks and started missing all the new stuff we added. The same exact thing would happen here you guys would love it for a bit but it would get boring super fast. As at the end of the day would be nothing new for you. All you have in your head right now is something called nostalgia. Trust me when I tell you it will never ever be as good as you remember. If you try to always get back to what can never be again you’ll never be willing to experience the future of what could.
TDLR focus your effort on how to move the current server forward because I guarantee you wouldn’t like the past as much as you think you would.
  • EMP
  • Community Owner
  • ZARP Owner/Developer
  • Thanks received: 3152

To Add me on Steam Click the Image Below!

Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by EMP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spicy

Classic Semi-Serious Roleplay - Discussion 6 years 3 months ago #812447

well.. why don't you make a server with cheap hosting with the old stuff so the people who want to play on the old zarp can? it wouldn't take much to get it going dont transfer anything accept bans it would be like a fresh start and it would make a lot of people happy and don't forget if it doesn't work you can just stop hosting it
  • computerman1034
  • Junior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 17

Classic Semi-Serious Roleplay - Discussion 6 years 3 months ago #812449

No, emp is correct. Its just that nostalgia in your head, i mean i want this but it wont last long look what happen to fp and now its dead.
  • Hamzah
  • Diamond Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • ayy
  • Thanks received: 390
The following user(s) said Thank You: EMP

Classic Semi-Serious Roleplay - Discussion 6 years 3 months ago #812450

u are right i just want to go back for a bit and even if it is temporary it still would be a dream to go back for a day lol.
  • computerman1034
  • Junior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP

Classic Semi-Serious Roleplay - Discussion 6 years 3 months ago #812457

EMP wrote:
Who do you honestly think is going to do this? Back in the day that gamemode couldn’t even support 60 people running fine its filled with bugs and glitches and neeeded improvements that took Chute and I years to make. Plus do you honestly think we would give access to our gamemode to anyone other then the most trusted in the community the owners? To many times in the past people with access to our code have used that once they get demoted to fuck us over. This hasn’t happened on DarkRP because only Chute and I have access to the codebase.

I’ve also thankfully had the opportunity to try something very similar to this on Friendly Players where people begged for us to go back to the old 2012 gamemode. When we finally agreed people liked it for a little bit but guess what happened they got bored affter a few weeks and started missing all the new stuff we added. The same exact thing would happen here you guys would love it for a bit but it would get boring super fast. As at the end of the day would be nothing new for you. All you have in your head right now is something called nostalgia. Trust me when I tell you it will never ever be as good as you remember. If you try to always get back to what can never be again you’ll never be willing to experience the future of what could.
TDLR focus your effort on how to move the current server forward because I guarantee you wouldn’t like the past as much as you think you would.

This is a never ending debate between the cm and there is alot of things that happened for the better over the years. Gamemode is good today but it's simply missing it's touch people adored back then. If you look at games today you see alot of them focusing on updating content but forgetting what made a game great again.

For example people consider World of warcraft before mounts was a thing to be game they choose to love, as you'd be more social with others and often stumble upon friends. But since mounts was added it became less "social" and then that was gone.

Games simply needs to hold onto what makes them unique, Zarp is evolving but the reason players stick around is because the flavour it had back then was a really unique experience. I'm not entierly sure what worked myself and that goes to most people as they suggest wrong things that happened to be apart of that old gamemode.
  • catboy sven ツ
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Respected Zarp Contributor
  • Thanks received: 1544
ex-minecraft owner, zarp legend (Was there during the infancy of Zarp), ex-ssrp admin, ex-teamspeak emblem (For SSRP admin & minecraft owner)

Classic Semi-Serious Roleplay - Discussion 6 years 3 months ago #812477

computerman103673 wrote:
well.. why don't you make a server with cheap hosting with the old stuff so the people who want to play on the old zarp can? it wouldn't take much to get it going dont transfer anything accept bans it would be like a fresh start and it would make a lot of people happy and don't forget if it doesn't work you can just stop hosting it
That would be an even worse idea lets take a horribly optimized gamemode and put it on a shitty host and see how well that works. Why would we waste our time doing something if we weren't actually going to do it? Why on would we ever specifically set ourselves up for failure. I would say to prove a point but FP already did that just fine for me.
  • EMP
  • Community Owner
  • ZARP Owner/Developer

Classic Semi-Serious Roleplay - Discussion 6 years 3 months ago #812478

• Spicy
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 1071
♿JAYHOUSE BEST GANG♿
Ex-SSRP Super Administrator
Ex-Prophunt Administrator
Ex-Murder Moderator
Ex-Bhop Moderator
Ex-TTT Moderator
Ex-Teamspeak Staff
Ex-Wiki Contributor
Kapi,Clarky,Blockedass,Corgi,Getzco,,Dady SORLE! ! ! !!!! ! ! ! NAREXA !

Classic Semi-Serious Roleplay - Discussion 6 years 3 months ago #812488

well it doesn't need to be a bad host and i mean why not try even if im wrong it would still be worth a trip down memory lane for all of us i get that fp didn't work out but like i said it doesn't need to be permanent and im sure it wouldn't be that hard to make it work with a new host im not trying to argue with you man i just wish you guys would give it a try on a different server for a month i mean id try to help as much as i can because this server means a lot to me i hope you change ur mind about this have a good night...
  • computerman1034
  • Junior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP

Classic Semi-Serious Roleplay - Discussion 6 years 3 months ago #812765

Bumping
  • Nafe

Classic Semi-Serious Roleplay - Discussion 6 years 3 months ago #812767

EMP wrote:

when is the fp update been waiting for some years now
  • Kylie
  • Expert Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • (͡o‿O͡)
  • Thanks received: 266

Junrey Balawing: and chief is probably 34

Classic Semi-Serious Roleplay - Discussion 6 years 3 months ago #812788

ive come to the conclusion that darkrp as a gamemode lacks real goals and the progression in content often happens way too quickly, not mentioning the fact that there's no actual RP in it

for this reason i suggest we bring back perp

#BringBackPERP
  • SorIe
  • Marvelous Boarder
  • Thanks received: 4290

ex-dog LT member on many servers

Classic Semi-Serious Roleplay - Discussion 6 years 3 months ago #813033

BUMP
  • Nafe

Classic Semi-Serious Roleplay - Discussion 6 years 3 months ago #813191

In all fairness if you really want the 2015 experience running it on a shitty host would be best, would be the exact same like it was back then.

Jokes aside this keeps getting denied because "its gonna die" comparing it to FP and what they did, if you actually looked alot of people would like this, it would allow people actually feel like they are progressing and to have fun griding.

If you manage to get people to play the piece of shit you call Zarp rn then im sure it wont be hard to get a player base
  • Sada.
  • Mythical Boarder
  • Confused and disgusted by the ban
  • Thanks received: 3851

Classic Semi-Serious Roleplay - Discussion 6 years 3 months ago #813267

EMP wrote:

:support: for nafe buttttttt, I also agree with emp I try to go on FP and i never see anyone which really stinks because I would also want the experience on what old zarp had but when nobody is on it really sucks. I can see why people get bored but I can see why people want it.
  • Lerpson
  • Nitro Booster
  • black people should totally be allowed to vote
  • Thanks received: 1823
Jay House number 1 as always

Classic Semi-Serious Roleplay - Discussion 6 years 3 months ago #813275

Real talk I’m down to make FP great again.

The thing that really pissed people off was when they changed map and did an update to get players back which it did, but I pissed everyone off because they WIPED all the stats and shit. A few months down the line they wiped the server again, and thought it would be funny to LITERALLY WIPE EVERYTHING AGAIN AND THEN COPY AND PASTE THE ZARP CONTENT AND PUT US ON EVO CITY.l because “The reboot was coming out in a month or two”.Following that they wiped it and brought back the ole gamemode which brought players back for a limited time and ultimately killed it. The community died because we were constantly fucking lied to and were promised an update that looked amazing but never came, one day it’ll happen with zarp too, it’s just a matter of time.

Overall this is a shit idea. Also EMP, fix the weapons on FP because they’re a fucking disgrace at the moment.
  • Getzco
  • Senior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 299

Classic Semi-Serious Roleplay - Discussion 6 years 3 months ago #813281

Getzco wrote:

The thing that really pissed people off was when they changed map and did an update to get players back which it did, but I pissed everyone off because they WIPED all the stats and shit. A few months down the line they wiped the server again, and thought it would be funny to LITERALLY WIPE EVERYTHING AGAIN AND THEN COPY AND PASTE THE ZARP CONTENT AND PUT US ON EVO CITY.l because “The reboot was coming out in a month or two”.Following that they wiped it and brought back the ole gamemode which brought players back for a limited time and ultimately killed it. The community died because we were constantly fucking lied to and were promised an update that looked amazing but never came, one day it’ll happen with zarp too, it’s just a matter of time.

Overall this is a shit idea. Also EMP, fix the weapons on FP because they’re a fucking disgrace at the moment.
I think given the fact that you were probably banned at the time that your mistaken. The first server wipe happened when we tried releasing a modified version of ZARP's gamemode (wasn't even a wipe but a new gamemode where the old data did not apply), while Chute left the community for a few months for work. The second wipe happened when we left that game mode and tried the idea of doing the 2012. We still have all of the data somewhere with only 3 databases so I know we only did 2 "wipes".
  • EMP
  • Community Owner
  • ZARP Owner/Developer

Classic Semi-Serious Roleplay - Discussion 6 years 3 months ago #813282

EMP wrote:
Getzco wrote:

I think given the fact that you were probably banned at the time that your mistaken. The first server wipe happened when we tried releasing a modified version of ZARP's gamemode (wasn't even a wipe but a new gamemode where the old data did not apply), while Chute left the community for a few months for work. The second wipe happened when we left that game mode and tried the idea of doing the 2012. We still have all of the data somewhere with only 3 databases so I know we only did 2 "wipes".

Tru, I took the ban during the Evo City map lel. I remember standing in front of the building across from spawn when chute banned me. But like still m8.

Seriously tho, fix the guns.
  • Getzco
  • Senior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 299

Classic Semi-Serious Roleplay - Discussion 6 years 3 months ago #813284

the server has taken a big gulp of shit since the "summer update" 2017, wipe everything fuck what everyone else thinks they'll probably end up just buying more boosterpacks with their moms nearly maxed out credit cards
  • Diet Water
  • Diamond Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 748
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Diet Water.
  • Page:
Moderators: MadMagic, Kanna.
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

235 PLAYERS ONLINE

Connect to server View Gametracker DarkRP 1
9/127
Connect to server View Gametracker Deathrun
0/40
Connect to server View Gametracker TTT
0/47
Connect to server View Gametracker Bhop