Login to ZARP
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What helps you to fix Social Anxiety

What helps you to fix Social Anxiety 2 years 7 months ago #1361608

like when you have a presentation at school or at work (or when you are around unknown people in general)
you start stressing and your stomach hurts ...ect

for real what do you do to get rid of that, i'll appreciate all your ideas
  • DoSpiiR
  • Senior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • yfz
  • Thanks received: 111
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Login or register to post a reply.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Killa Kappa

What helps you to fix Social Anxiety 2 years 7 months ago #1361609

i avoid interaction

(i dont get forced to do presentations)
  • Killa Kappa
  • User is blocked
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 6748
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Killa Kappa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoSpiiR, Skippergroe

What helps you to fix Social Anxiety 2 years 7 months ago #1361610

I usually grabbed my pen and like played with it when I had to presentate
  • xDutchCat
  • Expert Boarder
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • xDumbCat
  • Thanks received: 538

Former
Murder Super Administrator
SSRP Super Administrator x2
Event Manager
Server Apps & Appeals Section Mod

The following user(s) said Thank You: DoSpiiR

What helps you to fix Social Anxiety 2 years 7 months ago #1361611

Wouldn't know what to tell you, for me it completely dropped once I grew older and started taking care of myself. Hit the gym and take care of yourself. Granted, it's a long process but it'll make you feel better overall. But if it's deeper than that and you have some serious anxiety I wouldn't know where to begin.
  • Hellsdevil
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • surprisingly still kicking
  • Thanks received: 1102

Former Deathrun Owner & more
FP DarkRP Head Admin

What helps you to fix Social Anxiety 2 years 7 months ago #1361612

ronaldmarc2009 wrote:
i avoid interaction

(i dont get forced to do presentations)

sometimes you have the choice, and sometimes you don't (for example the presentation might have a huge benefit on your career or something like that)
like you want to do it but you cant
  • DoSpiiR
  • Senior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • yfz
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

What helps you to fix Social Anxiety 2 years 7 months ago #1361613

DoS. That is more of hard to get to knwo how to help social anxiety. I switch from intorvert to extrovert when needed. I mainly stick to myself but you know. It's hard to deal with for me.
Advice from me. Try speaking in front of your parents. It's better than just not talking to anyone but yourself.
  • Kubafx1234
  • Senior Boarder
  • Obama hamburger sussy balls
  • Thanks received: 78

What helps you to fix Social Anxiety 2 years 7 months ago #1361614

Don't stress too much about what other people see from you, just know that you're there to present something and once that is out of the way, you'll realise that it wasn't such a big deal after all. It does take a bit of balls to present in front of people, more especially if you do not know those people but at the end of the day you'll be alright and nothing can really go too wrong (id hope its not THAT bad).

and yeah hit the gym, ever since I started going, it's given me a massive confidence boost and I almost never feel as anxious as I used to in the past, which is not just limited to social situations. It's also very healthy to stay in good shape and you'll genuinely feel better as a person which is a contributing factor to being more outgoing and having less anxiety.
  • Clarky
  • Former Community Manager
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • I love Henny
  • Thanks received: 9544

What helps you to fix Social Anxiety 2 years 7 months ago #1361615

Stop giving a flying fuck what people think about you
  • Armarni
  • Junior Boarder
  • sexting lady Dimtrescu on my pear phone
  • Thanks received: 142
The following user(s) said Thank You: TrueOverL, DoSpiiR, chiki

What helps you to fix Social Anxiety 2 years 7 months ago #1361621

I'm very often in this situation being a musician. I need to play in front of randos that may or may not actually listen to me very often, so what I do is I'd imagine I'm playing for only one single person, you decide who before starting. It works
  • Frank_
  • Senior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • disappointing jazz player
  • Thanks received: 526
-
Ex PropHunt Super Admin
Ex Surf Admin
Ex Murder Admin
Ex PropHunt Section Mod
Ex Ts/Discord Staff
-
Discord:
frankthequiet#2165
-

What helps you to fix Social Anxiety 2 years 7 months ago #1361628

DoSpiiR wrote:
like when you have a presentation at school or at work (or when you are around unknown people in general)
you start stressing and your stomach hurts ...ect

for real what do you do to get rid of that, i'll appreciate all your ideas

Working out, learning to straighten your shoulders (figuratively too, not just literally). Know that your classmates are also human, so stop looking at them like some sort of gods that judge whether you get to live or not lol.
  • catboy sven ツ
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Respected Zarp Contributor
  • Thanks received: 1544
ex-minecraft owner, zarp legend (Was there during the infancy of Zarp), ex-ssrp admin, ex-teamspeak emblem (For SSRP admin & minecraft owner)

What helps you to fix Social Anxiety 2 years 7 months ago #1361629

Armarni wrote:
Although this is good advice, it is much easier said than done for a lot of people.
I used to have social anxiety 24/7 when I was younger, but then I just came to realize that all that anxiety is temporary and the possible hate from your classmates, 'friends' or whatever is too, to the point of it just being my normal state of mind. Just remind yourself that hate is temporary and the things you enjoy or appreciate doing will stay with you much longer and even permanently. So don't let anxiety or hate stop you from doing something you enjoy. And especially not something that will propel your education or career forward.
  • Agebt
  • Gold Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • MAN WHAT?!
  • Thanks received: 994
Propane#4246

Steam
The following user(s) said Thank You: alit, DoSpiiR, Skippergroe

What helps you to fix Social Anxiety 2 years 7 months ago #1361635

Well from personal experience just embrace it and push through it as much as you can, Try your best to avoid negative thoughts about yourself. Don’t stress about how you look or how you think people are looking at you, sometimes they really aren’t, just breathe.
  • Jawson
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP
  • Thanks received: 1927

What helps you to fix Social Anxiety 2 years 7 months ago #1361636

Agebt wrote:
Armarni wrote:
Although this is good advice, it is much easier said than done for a lot of people.
  • DoSpiiR
  • Senior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • yfz
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

What helps you to fix Social Anxiety 2 years 7 months ago #1361639

I am so happy you're brave enough to make a thread like this, we should normalize as much as possible the fact that many of us struggle with mental illnesses or stuff like that.

I have been diagnosed with anxiety most of my life, early on when I was a child. I have seen a professional a couple of times when it was needed, and of course researched it a lot, and worked on it by myself too.

Personally with social anxiety, if I have a presentation or etc, I like to practice beforehand. It doesn't have to be perfect but it's good to know what you're about to present. Also, I have learned that it's good to try and maintain eye contact with several people while giving the presentation - if you have friends in your class that helps.

However, speaking generally, there's a few things you can do to improve your anxiety. -
- Working out - actually increases dopamine hormones in your brain! and it'll make you look better so... self esteem boost!
- Eating healthier - better nutrients allow your body to function better aswell, and keeps you physically healthier, which reduces some part of your anxiety, and can make you more confident too.
- Clean your environment - being in a messy environment all the time can be harmful in the long run because you won't get used to getting your shit together.
- Surround yourself with GOOD people - "When the character of a man is unclear to you, look at his friends" - if you surround yourself with good supportive people, you'll strive to improve yourself and work on yourself, and you'll probably refrain from some social activities that can spark your anxiety and get you into trouble.
- Take care of yourself - you can always make sure you look nice and maintain it. Get haircuts regularly, keep your nails healthy, TAKE CARE OF YOUR SKIN, go get treatments if needed.
- Words of affirmation - Be nicer to yourself, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. Look in the mirror and tell yourself that you look good, that you're talented, force yourself to smile and fix your posture - it is an old technique to trick your brain into thinking you're more confident. Basically fake it till you make it.
- Experience - You have to take part in some things in life in order to get better. Personally I have been working since the age of 15, and I worked as a barmaid, a waitress and as a general worker in a 5 star hotel, I have worked at an ice skating rink in the biggest mall in my city, and now I am a receptionist at a spa line. So, I've got quite a bit of experience with people, and honestly, practice makes perfect. At this point I can easily read people, notice patterns, and etc - communication became easier over the years.
- And last but not least... tell yourself, that it is ok - You're not alone. Millions of people feel the way you do, and it is normal. It is ok. You're not expected to be perfect, and many of us, if not most, are nervous when it comes to social stuff. You will only get better at it with age, as you get to experience more things and meet more people you will interact with. It's all going to be fine.

I personally struggle with panic attacks aswell, but this works for anxiety too:
If you're feeling overwhelmed, like you're about to panic; take deep breaths, and try finding things you can touch, smell, sense, see... This trick sort of puts you back on your ground, before you lose control fully. It is not a miracle fix but it can help a lot! I have been using this technique for years now, and I would say I became pretty good at dealing with people.
  • MsRevine
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • "We're all gonna make it brah"
  • Thanks received: 2485
Ex Murder Super Admin
Ex Deathrun Admin
Ex SSRP Admin
First Seen: Jun 24, 2016 1:50 AM
The following user(s) said Thank You: alit, DoSpiiR, Agebt, euan, Skippergroe

What helps you to fix Social Anxiety 2 years 7 months ago #1361640

I take medication.
  • Markus
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 1638
Former:
SSRP Superadmin
Community Council Creator (May it rest in piece)
Prophunt Moderator
BHOP Moderator

What helps you to fix Social Anxiety 2 years 7 months ago #1361641

MsRevine wrote:
I am so happy you're brave enough to make a thread like this, we should normalize as much as possible the fact that many of us struggle with mental illnesses or stuff like that.

I have been diagnosed with anxiety most of my life, early on when I was a child. I have seen a professional a couple of times when it was needed, and of course researched it a lot, and worked on it by myself too.

Personally with social anxiety, if I have a presentation or etc, I like to practice beforehand. It doesn't have to be perfect but it's good to know what you're about to present. Also, I have learned that it's good to try and maintain eye contact with several people while giving the presentation - if you have friends in your class that helps.

However, speaking generally, there's a few things you can do to improve your anxiety. -
- Working out - actually increases dopamine hormones in your brain! and it'll make you look better so... self esteem boost!
- Eating healthier - better nutrients allow your body to function better aswell, and keeps you physically healthier, which reduces some part of your anxiety, and can make you more confident too.
- Clean your environment - being in a messy environment all the time can be harmful in the long run because you won't get used to getting your shit together.
- Surround yourself with GOOD people - "When the character of a man is unclear to you, look at his friends" - if you surround yourself with good supportive people, you'll strive to improve yourself and work on yourself, and you'll probably refrain from some social activities that can spark your anxiety and get you into trouble.
- Take care of yourself - you can always make sure you look nice and maintain it. Get haircuts regularly, keep your nails healthy, TAKE CARE OF YOUR SKIN, go get treatments if needed.
- Words of affirmation - Be nicer to yourself, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. Look in the mirror and tell yourself that you look good, that you're talented, force yourself to smile and fix your posture - it is an old technique to trick your brain into thinking you're more confident. Basically fake it till you make it.
- Experience - You have to take part in some things in life in order to get better. Personally I have been working since the age of 15, and I worked as a barmaid, a waitress and as a general worker in a 5 star hotel, I have worked at an ice skating rink in the biggest mall in my city, and now I am a receptionist at a spa line. So, I've got quite a bit of experience with people, and honestly, practice makes perfect. At this point I can easily read people, notice patterns, and etc - communication became easier over the years.
- And last but not least... tell yourself, that it is ok - You're not alone. Millions of people feel the way you do, and it is normal. It is ok. You're not expected to be perfect, and many of us, if not most, are nervous when it comes to social stuff. You will only get better at it with age, as you get to experience more things and meet more people you will interact with. It's all going to be fine.

I personally struggle with panic attacks aswell, but this works for anxiety too:
If you're feeling overwhelmed, like you're about to panic; take deep breaths, and try finding things you can touch, smell, sense, see... This trick sort of puts you back on your ground, before you lose control fully. It is not a miracle fix but it can help a lot! I have been using this technique for years now, and I would say I became pretty good at dealing with people.
I really appreciate the time and effort you took to write this, I really do as much as the other's ideas. I already feel better and i feel like im "ready" to re-face this situation just by reading. Thanks again
  • DoSpiiR
  • Senior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • yfz
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The following user(s) said Thank You: MsRevine, alit, Skippergroe

What helps you to fix Social Anxiety 2 years 7 months ago #1361689

Agebt wrote:
Armarni wrote:
I used to have social anxiety 24/7 when I was younger, but then I just came to realize that all that anxiety is temporary and the possible hate from your classmates, 'friends' or whatever is too, to the point of it just being my normal state of mind. Just remind yourself that hate is temporary and the things you enjoy or appreciate doing will stay with you much longer and even permanently. So don't let anxiety or hate stop you from doing something you enjoy. And especially not something that will propel your education or career forward.
Swedish people so weak smh.
Just be yourself.
Don't overthink to much, If you feel things are becoming to much, take a breather.
Praying to God, always help.
  • alit
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thanks received: 1819
The following user(s) said Thank You: MsRevine, DoSpiiR, Agebt

What helps you to fix Social Anxiety 2 years 7 months ago #1361735

xDutchCat wrote:
I usually grabbed my pen and like played with it when I had to presentate
How do you consistently spew moronic shit.
Being nervous and anxiety are not the same things.
  • euan
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • the truth is i miss you
  • Thanks received: 585
Ex Bhop Head Admin
Ex Surf Head Admin
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoSpiiR, Gin, Armarni

What helps you to fix Social Anxiety 2 years 7 months ago #1361737

Also you a good cookie revine
  • euan
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • the truth is i miss you
  • Thanks received: 585
Ex Bhop Head Admin
Ex Surf Head Admin
The following user(s) said Thank You: MsRevine, DoSpiiR

What helps you to fix Social Anxiety 2 years 7 months ago #1361761

Armarni wrote:
although I do respect the more brutal way of looking out for things like this, other people may not be able to have that outlook to yours and it may take courage to do so which is what I and other suggested in previous posts
  • Clarky
  • Former Community Manager
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • I love Henny
  • Thanks received: 9544
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spicy, DoSpiiR
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

142 PLAYERS ONLINE

Connect to server View Gametracker DarkRP 1
9/127