Login to ZARP
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Requesting Assistance

Requesting Assistance 4 years 9 months ago #1183642

I'm going to need some help from someone who is good with PC's, in this case, Laptops.

Alright, so just to clarify this, I'm no professional, I have decent knowledge when it comes to computers but nonetheless, I'm going to need someone's help. To point this out in the beginning, so you don't have to go through the whole post to figure out what the problem is about, my laptop is overheating.

About a month ago, I started to notice how the temperature of my CPU started going insane, and recently it started reaching 95° when playing games such as GTA V, Battlefield 1, SCP: Secret Laboratory, and lower temperatures such as 80-85° when playing Minecraft, Garry's Mod, etc. My GPU too tends to reach 90° when playing high-end games (and in scenarios even 95° after playing a game for longer), for reasons I fully don't understand. In idle mode, the CPU reaches about 70°, and under heavier load, 75°.

The CPU utilization whilst playing most of the mentioned games doesn't go far over 40-45%, hence why I think such a temperature shouldn't be present, unless under some insane conditions.

Here are the (relevant) specifications:

Product number: 5QU51EA
Product name: HP Gaming Pavilion - 15-cx0035nm
Microprocessor: Intel® Core™ i5-8300H (2.3 GHz base frequency, up to 4 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 4GB GDDR5 RAM
Chipset: Intel® HM370
Memory: Standard 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (2 x 4 GB)
Hard drive: 2 TB 5400 rpm SATA

I opened up the laptop yesterday, just to check if both fans are working properly and in case some dust or other "unwantful" stuff might be stuck, but all seemed to be in check. Before anyone asks where I keep my laptop, it is on a table where airflow is of no issue at all. I also updated all my drivers as well, thinking it was, maybe, the reasoning of the infernal hell that's going on inside my PC.

I'd appreciate some help soon, so I don't end up making eggs and pancakes on my laptop. Thank you. :)
  • Mr. Richard
  • Former Community Manager
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • Thanks received: 5444
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Mr. Richard.
Login or register to post a reply.

Requesting Assistance 4 years 9 months ago #1183651

delete System32

or get one of these bad boys for cooling

On a serious note maybe just see if there is a proper airflow coming from your pc that is cooling.

and what mr gregory said
  • Spectrum
  • Diamond Boarder
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • quack
  • Thanks received: 845

Ex Deathrun Server Owner
Ex SSRP Head Admin
Ex TS / Discord Head Admin
Ex Forum Section Moderator
Ex Community Council Member

My Anime List
Steam | Discord: Spectrum#0001

Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Spectrum.

Requesting Assistance 4 years 9 months ago #1183652

There may be a need of changing the heat conducting paste on CPU and graphics card from symptoms you described.
  • GregoryTWIX
  • Gold Boarder
  • Minges everywhere ...
  • Thanks received: 471
Register Date: 06 Sep 2013

Requesting Assistance 4 years 9 months ago #1183653

GregoryTWIX wrote:
There may be a need of changing the heat conducting paste on CPU and graphics card from symptoms you described.

I purchased this laptop roughly 5 months and 2 weeks ago, is it possible that it already requires changing/adding the heat-conducting paste?
  • Mr. Richard
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge

Requesting Assistance 4 years 9 months ago #1183655

Mr. Richard wrote:
GregoryTWIX wrote:

I purchased this laptop roughly 5 months and 2 weeks ago, is it possible that it already requires changing/adding the heat-conducting paste?

Depends on activity of your laptop, I've had clients that would literally never turn off their laptop and need of changing that paste occured once for 2-3 months :D
  • GregoryTWIX
  • Gold Boarder
  • Minges everywhere ...
  • Thanks received: 471
Register Date: 06 Sep 2013

Requesting Assistance 4 years 9 months ago #1183657

Question is, does this post any issues for you?

Everything under 100 degrees is all good, and if it does happen to exceed that the hardware will just thermal throttle (could happen sooner depends on what they set it to TBH), so unless you're unhappy with the lowered peformance from thermal throttling then I don't see any reason to do anything about it.
  • Nina
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • 「(°ヘ°)
  • Thanks received: 889

Former
Zarp Slave
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Nina.

Requesting Assistance 4 years 9 months ago #1183658

Laptops are infamous for not so great cooling - one of the trade offs of portability I guess

Your CPU should be fine at 95 C albeit it's close to 100 C which is a nasty place to be. I'd check your thermal paste and replace if need be, otherwise I don't see any way to improve it without playing in a cold room or having an external fan helping with airflow
  • .uzi
  • Foos yer doos?
  • Thanks received: 2443

Requesting Assistance 4 years 9 months ago #1183659

Nina wrote:
Question is, does this post any issues for you?

Everything under 100 degrees is all good, and if it does happen to exceed that the hardware will just thermal throttle, so unless you're unhappy with the lowered peformance from thermal throttling then I don't see any issues.

Simply put, this does not pose any issues for me.

As seen in the image, both the CPU and GPU are almost all the way "up", making the heat no problem for my hands when playing. I am aware of the TJunction temperate being a thing, and I know that my PC will initiate an immediate shut down if my CPU and GPU ever go above 100 degrees. I'm simply afraid that this will have some consequences for my laptop in the future, due to the temperature constantly being, what I consider, insanely high.
  • Mr. Richard
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge

Requesting Assistance 4 years 9 months ago #1183660

.uzi wrote:
Laptops are infamous for not so great cooling - one of the trade offs of portability I guess

Your CPU should be fine at 95 C albeit it's close to 100 C which is a nasty place to be. I'd check your thermal paste and replace if need be, otherwise I don't see any way to improve it without playing in a cold room or having an external fan helping with airflow

Yeah, I am aware that laptops aren't the best when it comes to cooling. But surely, with 2 fans running at their best, the temperature shouldn't be enough to boil water. I'll take your and Gregory's advice and stop by a service that will take a look at my PC, add/replace the paste, etc, because I'm quite certain that there is some kind of problem, and that this isn't normal at all.
  • Mr. Richard
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
The following user(s) said Thank You: GregoryTWIX

Requesting Assistance 4 years 9 months ago #1183665

From looking around a little this seems to be a problem for a lot of laptop pavilion users, however the complaint is that they're losing perfomance from thermal throttling. There should be no issues with the temperature being that high as they're made to withstand up to 100 °C at the die (and will thermal throttle to avoid even going up there / beyond that). The temperature displayed on your system is at the die, which will always be quite a lot higher than the contact between your cooling system and the CPU IHS. Mind you that the liquid in your cooler will be even lower than that as well. With that being said I still think you should get the thermal paste replaced either by someone else or yourself just to see if you may get a little better thermal conductivity out of it.
  • Nina
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • 「(°ヘ°)

Former
Zarp Slave
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Nina.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. Richard

Requesting Assistance 4 years 9 months ago #1183666

change the theralm paste, if that does'nt work id suggest getting new fans
  • Knuthulhu
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Thanks received: 213

ex Surf & Bhop Server Owner

Requesting Assistance 4 years 9 months ago #1183667

Nina wrote:
From looking around a little this seems to be a problem for a lot of laptop pavilion users, however the complaint is that they're losing perfomance from thermal throttling. There should be no issues with the temperature being that high as they're made to withstand up to 100 °C at the die (and will thermal throttle to avoid even going up there / beyond that). The temperature displayed on your system is at the die, which will always be quite a lot higher than the contact between your cooling system and the CPU IHS. Mind you that the liquid in your cooler will be even lower than that as well. With that being said I still think you should get the thermal paste replaced either by someone else or yourself just to see if you may get a little better thermal conductivity out of it.

Apart from the "thermal paste" part, I'll see if they could get me two new, stronger and suitable fans (as Knuthulhu said), if that's even possible since it's easier to find compatible fans for tower PC's, unlike for laptops.
  • Mr. Richard
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge

Requesting Assistance 4 years 9 months ago #1183669

Mr. Richard wrote:
Nina wrote:

Apart from the "thermal paste" part, I'll see if they could get me two new, stronger and suitable fans (as Knuthulhu said), if that's even possible since it's easier to find compatible fans for tower PC's, unlike for laptops.

Should definitely be possible, but whether you can replace them easily or not, now that is going to be interesting. :)
  • Nina
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • 「(°ヘ°)

Former
Zarp Slave

Requesting Assistance 4 years 9 months ago #1183670

Nina wrote:
Mr. Richard wrote:
Nina wrote:

Should definitely be possible, but whether you can replace them easily or not, now that is going to be interesting. :)

Richard if you do it yourself please record and upload
  • Spectrum
  • Diamond Boarder
  • quack
  • Thanks received: 845

Ex Deathrun Server Owner
Ex SSRP Head Admin
Ex TS / Discord Head Admin
Ex Forum Section Moderator
Ex Community Council Member

My Anime List
Steam | Discord: Spectrum#0001

Requesting Assistance 4 years 9 months ago #1183690

• KrypticOG
  • User is blocked
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 685

Requesting Assistance 4 years 9 months ago #1184022

Get a pc. Laptops are shit to game on unless you spend a lot of money. I would also upgrade your ram as 8gb is a shit amount of ram. You have an amazing cpu that can do a lot but in doing so raises the temps on it. The fact that your cooling options are so limited on a laptop can cause a lot of problems. Having temps this high also causes your components to wear quicker making the life spam for your components less. Stop wasting your time on a laptop and save up for a pc and upgrade along the way when you have money.
  • Turtle965
  • Legendary Member
  • #SaveTheTurtles
  • Thanks received: 221
Take a walk with a turtle and behold the world in pause
Bruce Feiler

Requesting Assistance 4 years 9 months ago #1184024

Turtle965 wrote:
Get a pc. Laptops are shit to game on unless you spend a lot of money. I would also upgrade your ram as 8gb is a shit amount of ram. You have an amazing cpu that can do a lot but in doing so raises the temps on it. The fact that your cooling options are so limited on a laptop can cause a lot of problems. Having temps this high also causes your components to wear quicker making the life spam for your components less. Stop wasting your time on a laptop and save up for a pc and upgrade along the way when you have money.

I would have gladly purchased a tower PC, but due to traveling often as well as taking my PC to work, I simply had no other option but to buy a laptop. 8GB is quite sufficient for my needs, but yeah, I already had an idea of upgrading it to 16GB nonetheless and even buying an SSD. As for the overheating issue, I'll get that resolved with some heat-conducting paste and new, better fans. Also, money isn't an issue, I'm just saving up for something else. ;)
  • Mr. Richard
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge

Requesting Assistance 4 years 9 months ago #1184057

You said your CPU reaches 75° when idle. This could be a sign of a malware infection. I suggest running an AV scan in safe mode with like Malwarebytes. It's more than likely that you don't have any malware running on your laptop, but now seems like a good time to just double check.

You could also try leaving your laptop on for like 20 minutes with the task manager open. Don't do anything else with it and just monitor which programs are taking up the most resources. These could be causing your problem. I assume you know this, but by clicking the "More details" button, it'll show you how much of your CPU, Memory and GPU are being taken up.

But yeah. You're probably fine on the software side of things as it's most likely a hardware issue, although it's always a good idea to double check before dishing out loads of money on stuff that you wouldn't have needed if you'd just used up like an hour of your time earlier on.
  • bunnyslippers69
  • Diamond Boarder
  • Thanks received: 1185

Requesting Assistance 4 years 9 months ago #1184066

Bunnyslippers69 wrote:
You said your CPU reaches 75° when idle. This could be a sign of a malware infection. I suggest running an AV scan in safe mode with like Malwarebytes. It's more than likely that you don't have any malware running on your laptop, but now seems like a good time to just double check.

You could also try leaving your laptop on for like 20 minutes with the task manager open. Don't do anything else with it and just monitor which programs are taking up the most resources. These could be causing your problem. I assume you know this, but by clicking the "More details" button, it'll show you how much of your CPU, Memory and GPU are being taken up.

But yeah. You're probably fine on the software side of things as it's most likely a hardware issue, although it's always a good idea to double check before dishing out loads of money on stuff that you wouldn't have needed if you'd just used up like an hour of your time earlier on.

Thanks for the advice, I'll do what you said, tomorrow, and hopefully come back with good news.
  • Mr. Richard
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge

Requesting Assistance 4 years 9 months ago #1184067

Bunnyslippers69 wrote:

Thanks for the advice, I'll do what you said, tomorrow, and hopefully come back with good news.
  • Mr. Richard
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds

313 PLAYERS ONLINE

Connect to server View Gametracker DarkRP 1
9/127
Connect to server View Gametracker Deathrun
0/40