Login to ZARP
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What's your thoughts on personalised ads?

What's your thoughts on personalised ads? 4 years 11 months ago #1121287

So this has of course been a thing that's been around a while, but something I've only recently really started to notice. So I was busy watching youtube on my phone and it didn't take me long to realise that I was seeing way too many adverts for "anime games" I was confused because I've never seen anything like those before. Then I remembered I was recently forced to watch a full anime series. Now I watched this mostly on netflix, and towards the end on a random website I streamed it on, and I have never in my life searched a single thing relating to anime on youtube. I've also been playing a certain type of strategy game recently on my phone, so I've been receiving adverts for games that were practically the exact same. Again, never had ads like those before.

Personally, I find it quite invasive that youtube can just trace everything I do on my phone, outside of the youtube app itself, and tailor adverts towards me that closely match my activity. I know there's always a way to turn those settings off which I usually always do with apps and programs I use, but it seems I never did on youtube, probably because I never realised they would track my activity outside of the app itself :huh:

Anyone else experienced this?
  • eddie.
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • fuck
  • Thanks received: 1742
✥ Ex Deathrun Super Administrator ✥
✥ Ex TTT Super Administrator ✥
✥ Ex SSRP Administrator ✥
✥ Ex TeamSpeak Staff ✥
✥ Ex Discord Staff ✥
✥ Ex Forum Staff ✥

Steam-Click here!
Login or register to post a reply.

What's your thoughts on personalised ads? 4 years 11 months ago #1121289

If you're only now noticing "personalized ads" there's probably a lot worse invasions of privacy you definitely haven't thought about. Most companies sell your data to the highest bidder, knows your basic personal info from just your search history, etc.
  • Morgan
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • Thanks received: 6527

Legendary Spectacular Border
MAL
The following user(s) said Thank You: .uzi

What's your thoughts on personalised ads? 4 years 11 months ago #1121290

Morgan wrote:
If you're only now noticing "personalized ads" there's probably a lot worse invasions of privacy you definitely haven't thought about. Most companies sell your data to the highest bidder, knows your basic personal info from just your search history, etc.
oh yeah I know all about that stuff, the personalised ads are just something I somehow only just noticed and I wanted to hear other people's opinions on them
  • eddie.
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • fuck
✥ Ex TeamSpeak Staff ✥
✥ Ex Discord Staff ✥
✥ Ex Forum Staff ✥

Steam-Click here!

What's your thoughts on personalised ads? 4 years 11 months ago #1121292

Who doesn't use uBlock / AdBlock in 2019
  • narexa
  • Divine Boarder
  • ❤️ Buffy ❤️
  • Thanks received: 4845
Yes I'm female

What's your thoughts on personalised ads? 4 years 11 months ago #1121293

This is sort of different but i just remembered about it so i’ll share this here too

A while back I started talking to a boy on snapchat and suddenly all my recommended profiles in the discover section changed to male accounts of boys taking selfies with filters on, which was previously all girls :silly:

yeah that one freaked me out a bit more because it’s basically snapchat taking a guess at your sexuality (being wrong) and then using that to show you more of what you might want to see?
  • eddie.
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • fuck
✥ Ex TeamSpeak Staff ✥
✥ Ex Discord Staff ✥
✥ Ex Forum Staff ✥

Steam-Click here!
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by eddie..

What's your thoughts on personalised ads? 4 years 11 months ago #1121294

Narexa wrote:
Who doesn't use uBlock / AdBlock in 2019
I have an adblocker :unsure:
  • eddie.
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • fuck
✥ Ex TeamSpeak Staff ✥
✥ Ex Discord Staff ✥
✥ Ex Forum Staff ✥

Steam-Click here!

What's your thoughts on personalised ads? 4 years 11 months ago #1121297

Eddie. wrote:
This is sort of different but i just remembered about it so i’ll share this here too

A while back I started talking to a boy on snapchat and suddenly all my recommended profiles in the discover section changed to male accounts of boys taking selfies with filters on, which was previously all girls :silly:

yeah that one freaked me out a bit more because it’s basically snapchat taking a guess at your sexuality (being wrong) and then using that to show you more of what you might want to see?

The FBI are watching you, I'd personally put all my devices in the microwave for atleast 2 minutes so the magnetic field is fully reset.
  • narexa
  • Divine Boarder
  • ❤️ Buffy ❤️
  • Thanks received: 4845
Yes I'm female
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by narexa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bazaraxe

What's your thoughts on personalised ads? 4 years 11 months ago #1121299

Narexa wrote:
Eddie. wrote:

The FBI are watching you, I'd personally put all my devices in the microwave for atleast 2 minutes so the magnetic field is fully reset.
it’s already done, already done
  • eddie.
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • fuck
✥ Ex TeamSpeak Staff ✥
✥ Ex Discord Staff ✥
✥ Ex Forum Staff ✥

Steam-Click here!

What's your thoughts on personalised ads? 4 years 11 months ago #1121342

Here @ grammarly !!!
  • A Good Pianist
  • Spectacular Boarder
  • A Wob A Bob Bob
  • Thanks received: 3914

What's your thoughts on personalised ads? 4 years 11 months ago #1121343

its aids and this is why i use nord VPN easy dub

What's your thoughts on personalised ads? 4 years 11 months ago #1121364

I'm a paranoid schizophrenic, we are being watched.
  • Jeppe
  • Banned
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • Martyr!
  • Thanks received: 1154
Studio Banter wrote:
Mage you will always be remembered as the first person to write a fuck you list on Zarp and a bonus for not getting it deleted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CBT

What's your thoughts on personalised ads? 4 years 11 months ago #1121594

I understand that companies might need to collect your data to give you ads you might click, but I absolutely hate them. I've begun putting my tinfoil hat on every time I browse the web and have also gone through with removing all my personal details on unnecessary websites. No one's gonna sell my information to anyone!
  • CBT
  • User is blocked
  • Thanks received: 75
-Calvin Johnson

What's your thoughts on personalised ads? 4 years 11 months ago #1121601

The moment u accept "cookies" of a website u agree with them to have your private information. Cookies is basically a different word for Privacy policy. The moment u accept cookies on a website or a app such as instagram or something these things might occur 2 u. Try it out with facebook if u keep talking about buying a phone or something with ur phone on u will receive phone ads on ur mobile
  • Keanu Siek
  • Junior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 37

What's your thoughts on personalised ads? 4 years 11 months ago #1121603

Eddie. wrote:
So this has of course been a thing that's been around a while, but something I've only recently really started to notice. So I was busy watching youtube on my phone and it didn't take me long to realise that I was seeing way too many adverts for "anime games" I was confused because I've never seen anything like those before. Then I remembered I was recently forced to watch a full anime series. Now I watched this mostly on netflix, and towards the end on a random website I streamed it on, and I have never in my life searched a single thing relating to anime on youtube. I've also been playing a certain type of strategy game recently on my phone, so I've been receiving adverts for games that were practically the exact same. Again, never had ads like those before.

Personally, I find it quite invasive that youtube can just trace everything I do on my phone, outside of the youtube app itself, and tailor adverts towards me that closely match my activity. I know there's always a way to turn those settings off which I usually always do with apps and programs I use, but it seems I never did on youtube, probably because I never realised they would track my activity outside of the app itself :huh:

If this gets you worried then I can assure you that it's not a long term problem. There are cryptocurrency based solutions towards this manner.

Airbloc is a protocol on your computer that allows you to manage your own Data and sell it if you want for money/rebates etc or keep it for yourself. It is still being developed and you can even invest if you believe it has potential Link for more: airbloc.org/

Then there is Brave Browser. When you're surfing on the web. It's pretty self explanatory. Brave.com for more.
  • catboy sven ツ
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Respected Zarp Contributor
  • Thanks received: 1544
ex-minecraft owner, zarp legend (Was there during the infancy of Zarp), ex-ssrp admin, ex-teamspeak emblem (For SSRP admin & minecraft owner)

What's your thoughts on personalised ads? 4 years 11 months ago #1121768

Aspect wrote:
Eddie. wrote:

If this gets you worried then I can assure you that it's not a long term problem. There are cryptocurrency based solutions towards this manner.

Airbloc is a protocol on your computer that allows you to manage your own Data and sell it if you want for money/rebates etc or keep it for yourself. It is still being developed and you can even invest if you believe it has potential Link for more: airbloc.org/

Then there is Brave Browser. When you're surfing on the web. It's pretty self explanatory. Brave.com for more.
I’ve been using brave browser for a very long time, but that doesn’t really solve the issue of youtube being able to trace what games i’ve been playing on my phone

it doesn’t really worry me that much, i was just surprised that i only recently noticed it, anyway, i’ll have a look at that airbloc thing
  • eddie.
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • fuck
✥ Ex TeamSpeak Staff ✥
✥ Ex Discord Staff ✥
✥ Ex Forum Staff ✥

Steam-Click here!
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by eddie..

What's your thoughts on personalised ads? 4 years 11 months ago #1121783

Eddie. wrote:

I don’t think it was wrong xD hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha end me
  • Kyber
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • Something original and funny
  • Thanks received: 2621

Legendary Member

What's your thoughts on personalised ads? 4 years 11 months ago #1121785

Kyber wrote:
Eddie. wrote:

stop :(
  • eddie.
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • fuck
✥ Ex TeamSpeak Staff ✥
✥ Ex Discord Staff ✥
✥ Ex Forum Staff ✥

Steam-Click here!

What's your thoughts on personalised ads? 4 years 11 months ago #1121786

Eddie. wrote:
Kyber wrote:
Eddie. wrote:

stop :(
sorry
  • Kyber
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • Something original and funny
  • Thanks received: 2621

Legendary Member

The following user(s) said Thank You: eddie.

What's your thoughts on personalised ads? 4 years 11 months ago #1121859

Personalised ads is such a weird concept to me. Sure, the idea of having an ad for something you have a particular interest show on social media is great from a convenience perspective but it goes way beyond what's sensible in terms of tracking your interests.

For example, I had to visit a Staples to pick up a DHL package. I never mentioned going to Staples to anyone (both written or verbally) on my phone but opened messenger to reply to a quick message while heading into the shop. The moment I get home, I open up FB on my phone and I have stationary ads from Staples on my timeline.

It's a cool idea but honestly nasty and invasive in order to be accurate.
  • .uzi
  • Former Community Manager
  • Foos yer doos?
  • Thanks received: 2441
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by .uzi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: eddie.

What's your thoughts on personalised ads? 4 years 11 months ago #1121861

And thus shall be your punishment for watching anime.
  • Tamaninja
  • Gold Boarder
  • wag1
  • Thanks received: 3821
The following user(s) said Thank You: Micky
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds

184 PLAYERS ONLINE

Connect to server View Gametracker DarkRP 1
12/127
Connect to server View Gametracker Deathrun