Login to ZARP
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: [Server Suggestion] HL2:RP

[Server Suggestion] HL2:RP 6 years 10 months ago #611604

Viking wrote:

We're working on the server to present to the Community Team! If anybody would like lessons on roleplaying on this test server or any other aspect of the gamemode, add me on Steam and I'll help you out once I'm back from camping.

Thanks everyone!
Viz is workin real hard on this server, just sayin. props to viz
  • Ashy
  • Senior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • knowledge above all nonsense
  • Thanks received: 275
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hellsdevil

[Server Suggestion] HL2:RP 6 years 10 months ago #611613

Ashy wrote:
Viking wrote:

We're working on the server to present to the Community Team! If anybody would like lessons on roleplaying on this test server or any other aspect of the gamemode, add me on Steam and I'll help you out once I'm back from camping.

Thanks everyone!
Viz has spent an incredible amount of time recently coding for the server, I'm sure he appreciate you saying that.
  • Hellsdevil
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • surprisingly still kicking
  • Thanks received: 1102

Former Deathrun Owner & more
FP DarkRP Head Admin
Last Edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Hellsdevil.

[Server Suggestion] HL2:RP 6 years 10 months ago #611615

Hellsdevil wrote:
Ashy wrote:
Viking wrote:

Thanks everyone!
hey man ive been helping too :(
my bad Hellsdevil, shouldn't have forgotten about you. good shit man
  • Ashy
  • Senior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • knowledge above all nonsense
  • Thanks received: 275

[Server Suggestion] HL2:RP 6 years 10 months ago #611632

Ashy wrote:
Viking wrote:

Thanks everyone!

not like me and haytham have been doing anything on the server but sure
  • Crocodile
  • Junior Boarder
  • chute made my karma -21 for no reason
  • Thanks received: 191

[Server Suggestion] HL2:RP 6 years 10 months ago #611634

• Hellsdevil
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP

FP DarkRP Head Admin
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Hellsdevil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Crocodile, Roy Harper

[Server Suggestion] HL2:RP 6 years 10 months ago #612428

Looking forward to it, very fun!
  • Roy Harper
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • someone stole my legendary member
  • Thanks received: 1950

»Ex-DarkRP HeadAdmin«
»Ex-TeamSpeak3 Staff«
»Ex-Appeals Section Mod«
»Ex-Jailbreak Moderator«
»Ex-Bhop Moderator«

[Server Suggestion] HL2:RP 6 years 9 months ago #615480

Before I start with my thoughts, know that I believe with enough work and effort into anything it can turn out amazing. I'd personally give the server a spin and play it for a good 2 weeks before making any judgement on it. I don't mean to discourage you, but setting up the map and plugins is only 25% of the server. The other 75% is good management and a good community so there's no way to know how the server will turn out until it's out for 1-2 months. I wish you the best of luck in getting this officially accepted, and I hope you do get accepted. Nothing I'm about to say is meant to bash or discourage you-- Rather it's a series of observations put together from years of experience with the gamemode.

I'd be willing to bet that the server only gets 10-20 people in it at a time after a few weeks. It's the new HL2:RP server curse. It's a viscous cycle few servers break free from. It starts out great, 50 ish players on the first day, super hype, tons of people online, great roleplay for those who appreciate the gamemode-- And it stays that way for a week. Maybe two. Then it's downhill from there as people slowly drain out realizing how boring of a gamemode Hl2:RP really is unless you are apart of an OOC group in the resistance or Combine factions. There's also already a competitive market of HL2:RP servers that fight for a small player base of serious RPers. Something new and exciting would have to be brought to the table while still holding the original HL2 atmosphere that people can immerse themselves in. And even those servers that have years of experience have a plethora of issues that they can't solve due to the nature of the gamemode.

There's so many issues that plague a HL2:RP server-- At least one that is taken seriously, not one that is a glorified version of DarkRP. Almost all of the issues are going to come up and need to be tackled.

1. You need to have a very well organized forum for it. In-game applications simply DO NOT WORK. It's way too easy for someone to slip through the cracks into a faction and really really start ruining shit if they don't know what they are doing. In-game apps are just a ticking timebomb that a lot of new servers put in place to attract players and it almost always comes back to bite them in the form of minges or low-quaility RP from the faction.

2. True citizen roleplay will not be a thing, or will be rare. While I and some others appreciate passive RPing as a citizen, others do not have the patience, temperament, or the mindset required. It's a killer because it's a core part of the server. Most people want to be a resistance member, a member of the combine factions, or just want some action. City citizen roleplay is the most boring, yet important part, of the server. A lot of big servers still have this issue after years of operation. You can't solve it. And this is one of the issues that would be increased by the low playercount.

3. Everyone wants to be a resistance member or an officer. Servers typically block off the sewers because of this. Which just. No. It's just horrid. Absolutely horrid. They try to increase citizen roleplay by confining everyone to a small portion of the map. Which makes the server boring and leads people to minging.

4. People hate taking losses. Absolutely hate it. And this is a gamemode centered around play to lose and taking losses. PK's (Permanent kills where your character and EVERYTHING they own is gone forever) are a vital and important part of the gamemode. They allow for a story to be wrote in a fluent way, and without them (IE. No pk's, all NLR, or just a name-change) can really screw up the story-line that the players are writing. You just killed someone after a long build-up with some great RP... But then they come back under NLR? It's horrible. But that's what some server do to attract people, because people can't accept losses. And that's understandable. To progress in this game takes time. A lot of time. Developing your character and slowly giving them a story takes weeks, months even. And to lose all of that no matter the amount of quality roleplay that went into the characters death? People can't handle it and will quit over it. Unless of course, you go with no PK's at all (Which is a horrid idea and adds another nail to the coffin of the server). People really take this gamemode personally due to the amount of time put into it.

5. The gamemode is an OOC group breeding ground. Most resistance members will be buddies OOCly and talking over TS3. That's the way it is. If you aren't in the group, you aren't getting in unless they want you in. They want their little group to be powerful over everyone else, and anyone who does stuff to stop or go against their ideas isn't going to have a fun time. While it'd be nice to say you will have methods of stopping this-- It's near impossible to stop this. People have discord, steam chat, skype, etc.

6. The gamemode is repetitive, boring, and slow at the end of the day for most people. I'll be honest here. I love HL2:RP and the casual roleplay side of things, but god is it boring after doing it for so long with no one else to do it with. Most of the actions for citizens include: Get a ration when it's open, walk around, cause some trouble, AFK/walk around some more, log off. Even with some quality roleplay with other citizens who aren't resistance it gets repetitive.

7. The gamemode is a nightmare for management. It's such a time-sink for management. More than DarkRP could ever be. You have to ensure a proper balance between resistance:citizen:combine is held, otherwise the gamemode becomes flooded with too many of either side and it ruins the immersion and fun. You have to ensure that a proper item flow is made into the server. Too many and everyone has one, too few and only a select elite have them. And it's really easy to go from too few to too many really fast. You also have to a (team of) dedicated developer(s) ready to deal with Cloud16's (Unless you are making your own gamemode which is a GL) bullshit and gamemode. I've helped develop some newer servers (Which are dead now, due to low playercount. Read: New HL2:RP server curse) and it is fun to develop, but it can be a nightmare at times with exploits and other issues that come with the gamemode such as the cloudaux system.

8. The server requires a specific mindset. You have to be able to immersive yourself and appreciate the atmosphere of the game. Does that mean remaining IC and not joking around 24/7? No. But it means being able to contribute to the overall atmosphere and make it seem like it's real. Because that's part of the fun for a lot of the serious RPers. People can learn how to do this, people can learn how to be a good RPer with time and teachings. But if they don't have the mindset, they will get burned out. It's a really specific mindset that not a lot of people have and why the HL2 market is so competitive for the true HL2 servers.

I'd love to see it come up so I could be apart of it while it has players. I'd even try to chuck in time and effort in promoting RP and helping the server, but I seriously believe it'd die if it's a true HL2:RP Gamemode. Though, that's just what I've seen over and over again during 4ish years of experience playing, being an admin on, developing, and helping run various HL2 RP servers.
  • Ron_
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 8
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Ron_.

[Server Suggestion] HL2:RP 6 years 9 months ago #615502

Basicly everything you said would be something I would address if we properly do the sever. I envision a brand new take of HL2 with crafting and 100% ingame integration for cwu, administration, combine, citizen on every level. Something that would proivide the much needed filler inbetween the really good rp. If we could find cool ways to get cool rp going through ingame features we would have an awsome way to keep players playing. Imagine if as a CWU worker you could save up money and buy your own shop, find contracts, supply your store, secure it from theifs, get rare items to sell. Or an City Adminstrator who oversees various CWU suppliers and interviews candidates for new stores, aproves them for new item contracts and oversees civilans producing goods. Citizens could find ways to earn credits buy working shifts in the factories, working for shops, doing various quests, and or collecting items to be sold for crafting. Combine keeping order and recording information on citizen, recomending new combine recruits and documenting reble activity. Each faction would have its own mechanics and game play features to be used and interlaced into roleplay. We could completely overhaul how HL2:RP works and get rid of the problems that restrict it from being great.
  • EMP
  • Community Owner
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • ZARP Owner/Developer
  • Thanks received: 3152

To Add me on Steam Click the Image Below!

Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by EMP.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diego, Hellsdevil, Ron_

[Server Suggestion] HL2:RP 6 years 9 months ago #615507

yeeeee
  • troublemakerrrrrr
  • Expert Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Lenny’s
  • Thanks received: 130

[Server Suggestion] HL2:RP 6 years 9 months ago #615717

EMP wrote:
Basicly everything you said would be something I would address if we properly do the sever. I envision a brand new take of HL2 with crafting and 100% ingame integration for cwu, administration, combine, citizen on every level. Something that would proivide the much needed filler inbetween the really good rp. If we could find cool ways to get cool rp going through ingame features we would have an awsome way to keep players playing. Imagine if as a CWU worker you could save up money and buy your own shop, find contracts, supply your store, secure it from theifs, get rare items to sell. Or an City Adminstrator who oversees various CWU suppliers and interviews candidates for new stores, aproves them for new item contracts and oversees civilans producing goods. Citizens could find ways to earn credits buy working shifts in the factories, working for shops, doing various quests, and or collecting items to be sold for crafting. Combine keeping order and recording information on citizen, recomending new combine recruits and documenting reble activity. Each faction would have its own mechanics and game play features to be used and interlaced into roleplay. We could completely overhaul how HL2:RP works and get rid of the problems that restrict it from being great.
I hope it works out then if you do decide to make it.
  • Ron_
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 8
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Ron_.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EMP

[Server Suggestion] HL2:RP 6 years 9 months ago #615752

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

I would 100% play that. That sounds fucking awesome!
  • DEADMONSTOR
  • Former Owner
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 3799

[Server Suggestion] HL2:RP 6 years 9 months ago #620568

bump
  • Hellsdevil
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP

FP DarkRP Head Admin

[Server Suggestion] HL2:RP 6 years 9 months ago #620571

this thing is fucking awesome i hope it gets added
  • troublemakerrrrrr
  • Expert Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Lenny’s
  • Thanks received: 130

[Server Suggestion] HL2:RP 6 years 9 months ago #625992

Update!

EMP and Viz are collaborating on something very special that could outright change how HL2:RP is played on Garry's Mod. We ask for everyone's patience who's excited to possibly play on this server, it will be very worth it. Thank you!
  • Viking
  • Senior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • FP Ambassador™
  • Thanks received: 616
"Tbh you would have been a cm by now if you hadn’t got banned." - EMP 5/10/18

[Server Suggestion] HL2:RP 6 years 9 months ago #625994

Viking wrote:
Update!

EMP and Viz are collaborating on something very special that could outright change how HL2:RP is played on Garry's Mod. We ask for everyone's patience who's excited to possibly play on this server, it will be very worth it. Thank you!
The Half-Life 2 roleplay reboot, I can't wait!
  • Hellsdevil
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP

FP DarkRP Head Admin

[Server Suggestion] HL2:RP 6 years 9 months ago #625996

I do hope this server becomes a success, it seems like you guys are putting a lot of work into this and revamping the gamemode for a much more better experience. Best of luck guys, hope to see it get released soon!
  • Clarky
  • Former Community Manager
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • I love Henny
  • Thanks received: 9536
The following user(s) said Thank You: Viking

[Server Suggestion] HL2:RP 6 years 8 months ago #650917

• Hellsdevil
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP

FP DarkRP Head Admin
The following user(s) said Thank You: SorIe, Diego

[Server Suggestion] HL2:RP 6 years 8 months ago #650991

I hope the server is succesfull and has a ton of players
  • Windows
  • Diamond Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Life isn’t a destination, it’s hell
  • Thanks received: 963

[Server Suggestion] HL2:RP 6 years 7 months ago #679237

bump
  • Hellsdevil
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP

FP DarkRP Head Admin

[Server Suggestion] HL2:RP 6 years 7 months ago #679287

:plussp:
Would love to see this added in the community a brand new server for ZARP would be amazing because I know damn well ZARP Community would make a HL2:RP be amazingly fun and great. Never played HL2:RP really, would like to try it on a community I already know about, and love.
  • xNate
  • Senior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • SSRP-Admin
  • Thanks received: 70
Ex-SSRP Administrator

Moderators: MadMagic, Kanna.
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

267 PLAYERS ONLINE

Connect to server View Gametracker DarkRP 1
8/127