Login to ZARP
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Regarding the current ban discussion

Regarding the current ban discussion 6 years 1 month ago #891065

I'm gonna say what Raeker has roughly said since I couldn't say it better my self:
Banned users are not protected by the Zarp staff ethos, Tyler has pointed it out a few times because people that have been banned have also been given more than enough chances but they still break the rules and therefore recent punishments are irrelevant, you should instead look at their entire rap sheet. It's very complicated and a lot of things need to be taken into consideration. After all, everything is just a guideline just like the Zarp staff ethos.
  • Nick0GR
  • Marvelous Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 3308

GD+Server Apps Section staff
TS3+Discord Staff
Bhop Super admin
TTT Super admin
Discord: Nick0GR#9038
ex
TTT Super admin
Murder Super admin
PropHunt Head admin
Deathrun admin
SSRP admin
TeamSpeak staff
Server apps + appeal section moderator
Login or register to post a reply.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SkeletonWarrior, Raeker, DrConor, BossComic23, Jax

Regarding the current ban discussion 6 years 1 month ago #891072

I will clear this up properly at some point when I have the time to do so. Basically when you're banning a user they are no longer protected by the staff ethos and so you will have to look at the whole rapsheet. Who they are, how many rules they have broken and whether or not they have any previous bans. When those punishments have been given matters as well - you're not going to take a one day ban from three months ago into account when you're deciding to ban a user after all. But if someone is breaking a lot of rules at this current time and has had a permanent ban six months earlier (and got unbanned, say, four months ago) then feel free to give them another permanent ban at that point as they clearly didn't learn from the last one.

The idea that the ethos applies to users you are about to ban is invalid. As the staff ethos states, it exists to protect both users and staff member but not to protect blatantly abusive users.
  • Raeker
  • Former Community Manager
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • It hurts the best of us
  • Thanks received: 6577
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Raeker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SorIe, SkeletonWarrior, Miia, Nick0GR, DrConor and 2 more...

Regarding the current ban discussion 6 years 1 month ago #891073

Raeker wrote:
I will clear this up properly at some point when I have the time to do so. Basically when you're banning a user they are no longer protected by the staff ethos and so you will have to look at the whole rapsheet. Who they are, how many rules they have broken and whether or not they have any previous bans. When those punishments have been given matters as well - you're not going to take a one day ban from three months ago into account when you're deciding to ban a user after all. But if someone is breaking a lot of rules at this current time and has had a permanent ban six months earlier (and got unbanned, say, four months ago) then feel free to give them another permanent ban at that point as they clearly didn't learn from the last one.

The idea that the ethos applies to users you are about to ban is invalid. As the staff ethos states, it is there to protect both users and staff member but not to protect blatantly abusive users.
finally, I've been trying to get that last point across for so long now but no one ever listened
  • SorIe
  • Marvelous Boarder
  • Thanks received: 4290

ex-dog LT member on many servers

The following user(s) said Thank You: SkeletonWarrior, Raeker

Regarding the current ban discussion 6 years 1 month ago #891137

Raeker wrote:

The idea that the ethos applies to users you are about to ban is invalid. As the staff ethos states, it exists to protect both users and staff member but not to protect blatantly abusive users.

(However don't completely disregard the ethos and ban people excessively for minor shit (ie. you should try ban for like 1 - 3 days for people who have a lot of recent warns but no bans rather than for months))
  • TheXnator
  • Former Owner
  • "Save the tears for when we win!"
  • Thanks received: 4300
Discord: thexnator

Former Community Owner: 2020-2022
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by TheXnator.

Regarding the current ban discussion 6 years 1 month ago #891146

TheXnator wrote:
Raeker wrote:

(However don't completely disregard the ethos and ban people excessively for minor shit (ie. you should try ban for like 1 - 3 days for people who have a lot of recent warns but no bans rather than for months))
There's a lot of compromise to be made between 1-3 days and "months", so I don't exactly understand your point here. The idea that we should keep our bans between a few days is redundant and wrong, as it doesn't state that anywhere within the Ethos.

Although what I said earlier was a rather vague and relatively short way of solving the issue at hand, I did say that I wanted to clear this up properly at some point. You trying to make a point by saying "Oh, but you shouldn't ban excessively" completely refutes what I originally said.

Regardless I guess I might as well clear it up a little bit more right now: when banning a user, the staff ethos no longer applies to them. However the staff ethos can still apply to the staff member in question, meaning that they cannot use their powers excessively. I do feel like that was relatively obvious, even though I didn't mention it originally.
  • Raeker
  • Former Community Manager
  • It hurts the best of us
  • Thanks received: 6577

Regarding the current ban discussion 6 years 1 month ago #891225

Going to be banning people for 4038 years now for NLR
  • OnionRings
  • Community Manager
  • Thanks received: 5656
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by OnionRings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SkeletonWarrior, TheXnator

Regarding the current ban discussion 6 years 4 weeks ago #900358

Bump, please get this stickied it's of high importance!
  • Nick0GR
  • Marvelous Boarder
  • ZARP VIP

TS3+Discord Staff
Bhop Super admin
TTT Super admin
ex
TTT Super admin
Murder Super admin
PropHunt Head admin
Deathrun admin
SSRP admin
TeamSpeak staff

Regarding the current ban discussion 6 years 4 weeks ago #900362

Nick0GR wrote:

No it's not.
  • _Lewis
  • Legendary Member
  • Scotland
  • Thanks received: 1074
Ex-Bhop Head Administrator
Ex-Surf Super Administrator

Regarding the current ban discussion 6 years 4 weeks ago #900397

_Lewis wrote:
Nick0GR wrote:

No it's not.
considering how no one's actually been able to read for the past year or however long the ethos has been out, and how this part was completely ignored, i'd say it's pretty important

or maybe people in higher places just like selectively choosing what parts of it are actually followed rather than following the entire thing as intended

and people in higher places like enforcing a guideline like it's a rule, so they feel like they have some level of control in at least one thing in their lives
  • SorIe
  • Marvelous Boarder
  • Thanks received: 4290

ex-dog LT member on many servers

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nick0GR

Regarding the current ban discussion 6 years 4 weeks ago #900518

Nick0GR wrote:
No Topoc from you will get stickied
  • iScarecrow
  • Expert Boarder
  • Life your Dream! ❤️Melissa❤️
  • Thanks received: 180
Notice
You are banned until 01 May 2019
https://gyazo.com/d1394f3d16026060c017dd26a57dd970.png/

Regarding the current ban discussion 6 years 4 weeks ago #900526

iScarecrow wrote:
Nick0GR wrote:
No Topoc from you will get stickied
prntscr.com/j7h9h2
prntscr.com/j7h9nx
(Don't respond to this, this isn't the reason of the topic)
  • Nick0GR
  • Marvelous Boarder
  • ZARP VIP

TS3+Discord Staff
Bhop Super admin
TTT Super admin
ex
TTT Super admin
Murder Super admin
PropHunt Head admin
Deathrun admin
SSRP admin
TeamSpeak staff
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaAwezomeViking

Regarding the current ban discussion 6 years 4 weeks ago #900544

Isn't really that high of importance, just mention it in the moderator meeting while all the staff members are there
  • Windows
  • Diamond Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Life isn’t a destination, it’s hell
  • Thanks received: 963

Regarding the current ban discussion 6 years 4 weeks ago #900549

Windows wrote:
Isn't really that high of importance, just mention it in the moderator meeting while all the staff members are there
I believe this is important for all servers as well as this should be used in admin pieces of training
  • Nick0GR
  • Marvelous Boarder
  • ZARP VIP

TS3+Discord Staff
Bhop Super admin
TTT Super admin
ex
TTT Super admin
Murder Super admin
PropHunt Head admin
Deathrun admin
SSRP admin
TeamSpeak staff

Regarding the current ban discussion 6 years 4 weeks ago #900556

Nick0GR wrote:
Windows wrote:
I believe this is important for all servers as well as this should be used in admin pieces of training

Pretty sure nobody will think that its ok to ban someone for a day and if they do they will be told off. No need for a thread to be stickied
  • Windows
  • Diamond Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Life isn’t a destination, it’s hell
  • Thanks received: 963

Regarding the current ban discussion 6 years 3 weeks ago #903327

Raeker wrote:
TheXnator wrote:
Raeker wrote:

There's a lot of compromise to be made between 1-3 days and "months", so I don't exactly understand your point here. The idea that we should keep our bans between a few days is redundant and wrong, as it doesn't state that anywhere within the Ethos.

Although what I said earlier was a rather vague and relatively short way of solving the issue at hand, I did say that I wanted to clear this up properly at some point. You trying to make a point by saying "Oh, but you shouldn't ban excessively" completely refutes what I originally said.

Regardless I guess I might as well clear it up a little bit more right now: when banning a user, the staff ethos no longer applies to them. However the staff ethos can still apply to the staff member in question, meaning that they cannot use their powers excessively. I do feel like that was relatively obvious, even though I didn't mention it originally.
Why do you write an essay when someone passive agressively replies to you?
  • Diet Water
  • Diamond Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 747
Last Edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by Diet Water.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raisin Bran
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds

152 PLAYERS ONLINE

Connect to server View Gametracker DarkRP 1
6/127
Connect to server View Gametracker Deathrun
0/40
Connect to server View Gametracker TTT
0/47
Connect to server View Gametracker Bhop
0/32