Login to ZARP
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: [ALL SERVERS] Chat Punishment System

[ALL SERVERS] Chat Punishment System 1 year 8 months ago #1391721

CHAT PUNISHMENT SYSTEM

Server Name:

All Servers

Suggestion Title:

Have a system that blacklists words. This system would kick, warn and ban people for using racist/discriminatory language on all servers.

How would it benefit the server:

STOP RACISM AND DISCRIMINATION

Potential Issues/Exploits:

None.

Additional notes:

Would benefit the server a lot.
  • Orang3
  • Gold Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • I'm orange...
  • Thanks received: 431

Max: "I will never be CM banned feel free to quote this in the future"
Login or register to post a reply.

[ALL SERVERS] Chat Punishment System 1 year 8 months ago #1391722

this was a thing on the murder server, wonder why its not everywhere else :silly:
  • CEO of Business
  • Community Manager
  • ZARP VIP
  • auzwald
  • Thanks received: 2316

[ALL SERVERS] Chat Punishment System 1 year 8 months ago #1391723

maybe if it notified staff or took an anti-cheat screenshot whenever someone drops a hard r or summit
:plussp:
  • yisyas
  • Nitro Booster
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 458

[ALL SERVERS] Chat Punishment System 1 year 8 months ago #1391726

would be nice to have this or even a censor system it will still stop some people being offensive, even though you can say it in voice it will still lower it...

also why is this pinned?

:support:
  • OnionRings
  • Community Manager
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • Thanks received: 5656

[ALL SERVERS] Chat Punishment System 1 year 8 months ago #1391727

the thrill of getting away with it will be gone
:minussp:
  • ImDrBeta
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thanks received: 133
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vodka4Gaben, jam

[ALL SERVERS] Chat Punishment System 1 year 8 months ago #1391728

yeah :support:
  • pizza
  • Senior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • حياة جيدة
  • Thanks received: 149

[ALL SERVERS] Chat Punishment System 1 year 8 months ago #1391732

:minussp:
  • bassboosted oven
  • Nitro Booster
  • ZARP VIP
  • i cant fix it
  • Thanks received: 295

[ALL SERVERS] Chat Punishment System 1 year 8 months ago #1391745

We've considered this in the past but unfortunately all it does it lead to a huge influx of people trying to loophole, which can end up being more of a problem
  • TheXnator
  • Former Owner
  • "Save the tears for when we win!"
  • Thanks received: 4300
Discord: thexnator

Former Community Owner: 2020-2022
The following user(s) said Thank You: ItsDonny

[ALL SERVERS] Chat Punishment System 1 year 8 months ago #1391749

CEO of Business wrote:
this was a thing on the murder server, wonder why its not everywhere else :silly:

There are plenty of good reasons as to why it would be a bad idea (one of the major ones was just outlined by Xnator).

At the time of implementation, Xnator gave many points as to why it shouldn't be added and why it wasn't a good idea (and all points were fair and valid) - However Joshua and I went against it and decided to add it to Murder regardless.

The results were both positive and negative - Positive in a sense that people would have a very tough time making discriminatory remarks in chat, but negative in a sense that they would try to loophole like crazy using symbols such as @, !, or adding additional letters, etc... And would be more prone to using voice chat and shouting all sorts of naughty things there instead.
  • Mr. Richard
  • Former Community Manager
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • Thanks received: 5418
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Mr. Richard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yisyas

[ALL SERVERS] Chat Punishment System 1 year 8 months ago #1391750

This is on pointshop but people can just loophole so I see no reason for anyone to put too much effort into something like this.
  • Callum.
  • Community Developer
  • ZARP VIP
  • Fick dich Martin!
  • Thanks received: 745

Community Developer

Prophunt/TTT Server Owner
Teamspeak Head Admin
Discord Head Admin
Global Moderator
SSRP Administrator
Deathrun Moderator

[ALL SERVERS] Chat Punishment System 1 year 8 months ago #1391751

callumok2004 wrote:
This is on pointshop but people can just loophole so I see no reason for anyone to put too much effort into something like this.
there is no punishment for saying racist things on pointshop unless its been added in the last like week
  • Nogtog
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 3435

[ALL SERVERS] Chat Punishment System 1 year 8 months ago #1391752

Nogtog wrote:
callumok2004 wrote:
there is no punishment for saying racist things on pointshop unless its been added in the last like week
There is no punishment but it censors it out.
  • Callum.
  • Community Developer
  • ZARP VIP
  • Fick dich Martin!
  • Thanks received: 745

Community Developer

Prophunt/TTT Server Owner
Teamspeak Head Admin
Discord Head Admin
Global Moderator
SSRP Administrator
Deathrun Moderator

[ALL SERVERS] Chat Punishment System 1 year 8 months ago #1391753

Is it really Zarp without offensive words though
  • narexa
  • Divine Boarder
  • ❤️ Buffy ❤️
  • Thanks received: 4845
Yes I'm female
The following user(s) said Thank You: Studio Banter, jam

[ALL SERVERS] Chat Punishment System 1 year 8 months ago #1391755

Mr. Richard wrote:
CEO of Business wrote:

There are plenty of good reasons as to why it would be a bad idea (one of the major ones was just outlined by Xnator).

At the time of implementation, Xnator gave many points as to why it shouldn't be added and why it wasn't a good idea (and all points were fair and valid) - However Joshua and I went against it and decided to add it to Murder regardless.

The results were both positive and negative - Positive in a sense that people would have a very tough time making discriminatory remarks in chat, but negative in a sense that they would try to loophole like crazy using symbols such as @, !, or adding additional letters, etc... And would be more prone to using voice chat and shouting all sorts of naughty things there instead.
The point about using voice chat instead is valid, but I don't understand how using symbols is really a negative. If there is staff online, then they'd just do their job as usual and punish the user, except it would only be if the user loopholes, as they would be punished by the system automatically otherwise. However if there isn't staff online, surely the result can only really be positive, since, without the system, they would just say the words anyways, only they won't even have to use symbols or loophole the system in any way and still get away with it

Plus, couldn't they just add some of the loophole words to the blacklisted words over time to further increase the difficulty of using discriminatory remarks in text chat?

I don't really care if this gets implemented or not but I genuinely just fail to see how its a negative for users to have to loophole being racist instead of just... being racist
  • Rule
  • Legendary Member
  • Kyber4PHSO
  • Thanks received: 1265
Ex-Staff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim_Jam, SwiiFTz, yisyas, Nogtog, Skippergroe and 1 more...

[ALL SERVERS] Chat Punishment System 1 year 8 months ago #1392128

I remember when Bhop and Surf had this. There are many factors to take into consideration here;

- Who will hold the job of maintaining the blacklist (how can we formulate a list of offensive words when there are countless amounts of them, taking a list will not solve everything)

- Significantly less offensive words becoming blacklisted (no one is going to formulate a list from scratch, that’s tedious and time consuming)

- How can this tackle loophole (not only symbols but foreign characters can also be used) if blatant offensive and discriminatory terms are filtered out

- People resorting it to voice chat instead which can be extremely obnoxious compared to a chat message

In conclusion, this shouldn’t exist BUT it would be a much better idea to resort to more modern ways of moderating this behaviour such as chat log access to all staff that you can access at any time, anywhere by overhauling how ZARP log access works instead of relying on the Community Team to download multiple log files to find such terms being used. Relying on the Community Team to tackle the discriminatory language is simply too much and the increased supervision will probably soon be forgotten about (it’s happened before) which is where we end up in the vicious loop of mass discrimination language being spread. Stronger punishments may be effective such as longer bans but I have my reasons as to why I think this is a good idea but also a bad idea putting other factors into mind such as decreased server activity, which CAN have a knock-on effect if players start to see less people online and/or their friend is banned. to keep a consistent supervision from much more staff rather than just five people (some of which who simply cannot facilitate time into this) across multiple Gmod servers makes me believe that this would drastically reduce this behaviour.

Another solution to this is to introduce saving lengths of a chat/voice blacklist, meaning a staff member can revoke that person’s form of communication for not only much longer periods but also not having to worry about people reconnecting to avoid the punishment. This has proven to work effectively in the ZARP discord but of course that’s very different to a game server.

Edit: wrote this on a phone, I apologise for the somewhat off grammar
  • Clarky
  • Former Community Manager
  • ZARP VIP Gold Badge
  • I love Henny
  • Thanks received: 9536
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Clarky.
Moderators: MadMagic, Kanna.
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds

173 PLAYERS ONLINE

Connect to server View Gametracker DarkRP 1
11/127
Connect to server View Gametracker Deathrun
0/40
Connect to server View Gametracker TTT
0/47
Connect to server View Gametracker Bhop
1/32