Login to ZARP
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: [FORUMS] Stop staff from editing user's comments

[FORUMS] Stop staff from editing user's comments 3 years 7 months ago #1281455

Server Name: Forums

Suggestion Title: Remove the ability for staff to edit user's comments (the original title is a bit blunt, but I could not fit it into the limited subject length)

How would it benefit the server: I don't see how it is acceptable for any reason for staff to edit another user's message. There is a small easy-to-miss disclaimer at the bottom of a message saying who edited it, but no reason why. If a message is not allowed, it should at the least simply be deleted, not edited to a staff member's liking. Additionally, if the user were to edit their message further just a small bit, all evidence to the average user of the original message being edited is lost. This sets an extremely dangerous precedent and there is simply no good reason for a staff member to ever change what a user has said, effectively putting words into their mouth.

Potential Issues/Exploits: None.

Additional notes: This was inspired by an instance I saw on another suggestion, where a staff member edited another user's message. Apparently the staff member edited the person's message to remove a hashtag supporting another user - I do not know if this is the exact reason for it. If it is the exact reason then obviously I definitely don't agree with that (all explanations given were removed), but nonetheless I don't think staff should be able to edit user's messages at all for any reason. The user should be asked to change it themselves, or it should just be removed. Practically all good online forums work on a policy where they don't edit other user's messages, and in instances where it does happen there are usually serious consequences for those involved (as has happened on reddit for instance). I assume this is a feature of the forum software on the front-end, so could easily be turned off - if you can't turn it off, my suggestion is simply to not use it and instead use the options above. I'd like to hear your thoughts. Yes, I know that staff are free to moderate as they see fit, but this is a suggestion, not a demand.
  • Justice
  • Senior Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • on-and-off for 7 years.
  • Thanks received: 125
Last Edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Justice.
The topic has been locked.

[FORUMS] Stop staff from editing user's comments 3 years 7 months ago #1281458

usually posts are edited if there is content that is breaching the terms of use but they believe that just editing it is a better choice if they believe the post has some value.
  • Spectrum
  • Diamond Boarder
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • quack
  • Thanks received: 849

Ex Deathrun Server Owner
Ex SSRP Head Admin
Ex TS / Discord Head Admin
Ex Forum Section Moderator
Ex Community Council Member

My Anime List
Steam | Discord: Spectrum#0001

[FORUMS] Stop staff from editing user's comments 3 years 7 months ago #1281459

We reserve the right to edit and remove all content which does not fall in line with our Terms of Use. By editing a post, a staff member can remove the specific part which breaks TOU rather than the whole post:
Our moderation team may delete offending contributions and account details that violate these terms of use. If you feel your post or account details were removed unfairly, please contact a site moderator for an explanation instead of re-posting.
Our moderation team may ban accounts that consistently violate these terms of use. If you feel your account was banned unfairly, please contact a site moderator for an explanation.
  • TheXnator
  • Former Owner
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • "Save the tears for when we win!"
  • Thanks received: 4300
Discord: thexnator

Former Community Owner: 2020-2022
Moderators: MadMagic, Kanna.
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds

285 PLAYERS ONLINE

Connect to server View Gametracker DarkRP 1