Login to ZARP
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Corporeus Preview - An unedited look!

Corporeus Preview - An unedited look! 6 years 9 months ago #627456

This is one of the scenes to my high fantasy novel series, Corporeus. It's unedited as I've been typing it up while on the train, but feel free to have a look and tell me what you think. Expect typoes, blunders and some confusing lingo - meme at will.

"So you brought him here," Jolsim began, a look on his face that expressed resentment and frustration as his lips curled into a frown, his brows furrowed and he stared down at the young man in the containment chamber.
"Only because I had few other options. We had few other options," Sion replied, his eyes following Varell as he moved about in the chamber, looking somewhat confused. "We just want to know what we're dealing with."
"Fair enough," Jolsim sighed as his fingers hovered over his panel and fell upon it, typing various code prompts into the machine and then looking down once again through the reinforced glass into the chamber where Varell had looked up at the two of them. "Alright, kid. Show us what you got."
"What do you mean?" Varell asked, shrugging his shoulders.
Jolsim turned his head to Sion and narrowed his eyes at the scientist. "Did you not tell him what he's here for?"
"No. I didn't know how to explain this test to him."
"Says the guy with three doctorates. Nice, fuckin' typical," the technomancer was notoriously impatient, even with those who he owed a debt to. He shook his head and made a gesture with his hand to Varell, raising it up. "Varell, power up. Focus your energy into the core of your body; close your eyes, ease your mind and focus on nothing but your magic. Imagine it building within you."
Varell did as instructed, closing his eyes and bringing his hands to his core, around his stomach; he could see something in his mind - what was that? A dog? A fox? Looked a little bigger than your average dog or fox, though.
He could feel his insides beginning to burn. This was an unfamiliar feeling, this warmth that grew and grew until he felt like he was baking in the sun.
"Getting a reading." It came up on the monitor as Jolsim said it, the glass was now covered in information, with a viewfinder zoomed in on Varell dead centre in the glass. "This is nothing. Well, it's not nothing. The kid has reasonable power, but..."
"Keep it going," Sion insistent tone carried an urgency in it; they couldn't stop now.
"Argh!" Varell was staggered, pinning one foot shabbily to the floor away from his other, which remained just barely in control of its position, shivering and trembling in place. A bright purple aura coated his body, spreading slowly outward.
"Another demi-god of balance. But this one doesn't have full access to his spirit beast," Jolsim's analysis had Sion staring at him wide-eyed.
"You know about us."
"Of course I know about you. My daughter is one of you," Jolsim continued typing at his station while keeping an eye on the viewfinder and the steadily rising scale that showed the amount of power being exuded from Varell’s body. "My wife helped train Talis and Veldomus. A little fuckin' difficult not to know about you."
Varell's coat blew about, fluttering in the gale of his power as it grew until the boy let out a loud scream and threw his hands over his head, bending slightly and stumbling as the power took on a crimson hue.
"...this is different," Jolsim watched as the scale reached unsafe levels, an alarm beginning to blare as the chamber became flooded with bolts of lightning storming through it, an inhuman roar sounding from Varell's position, but it wasn't Varell that made the sound.
You dare test me?
It was the last thing Varell heard before he collapsed as Jolsim zapped him with a bright white laser that flung him to the floor.
"Did you really need to do that? You could've killed him!" Sion yelled.
"Quick question, which of us has had more experience with high-powered lasers and technology in general and knows the actual effects the laser I just used has on a normal, healthy body?" Jolsim asked, still toying with the panel and never looking away from the number displayed on the screen as well as the scale. "Oh right, me. You didn't want to fight him, did you?"
"Well, no but..."
"But nothing. That's what you would've had to do, gas isn't gonna work on a thing like that, and I'm pretty sure flashing won't help him, either. Telling him to calm down when he's that far gone isn't conducive to a good result. I will say this: Something needs to be done about that," Jolsim said, looking down at Varell, who lay unconscious, breathing heavily in his sleep. The aura had all but faded away.
"What can we do?" Sion said to Jolsim who was now facing him, adjusting the collar of his shirt as he rolled his eyes; was this going to be okay?
"Leave him with me."
  • Father Watson
  • Nitro Booster
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • Thanks received: 1041
https://gyazo.com/fbafb32cd9b0fe8b55a862c42ff71d9a
Login or register to post a reply.

Corporeus Preview - An unedited look! 6 years 9 months ago #627470

Awesome! Your texts are really addicting to read, Keep going ^_^
  • catboy sven ツ
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Respected Zarp Contributor
  • Thanks received: 1544
ex-minecraft owner, zarp legend (Was there during the infancy of Zarp), ex-ssrp admin, ex-teamspeak emblem (For SSRP admin & minecraft owner)

Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by catboy sven ツ.

Corporeus Preview - An unedited look! 6 years 9 months ago #627535

Father Watson in real life

• Katje
  • User is blocked
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 844
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds

129 PLAYERS ONLINE

Connect to server View Gametracker DarkRP 1
7/127