Login to ZARP
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Final Rest -A Short Story-

Final Rest -A Short Story- 6 years 10 months ago #597598

I come up to this graveyard every weekend.

I'm standing here looking down at a grave that I've polished so meticulously; any specks of dirt force this immediate anger out of me. It's almost as though the grave being clean is the most important thing in the world to me.

Maybe it is.

I don't know what happened. One minute, you were here. The next, you weren't. And I blamed you, I blamed you because I thought that blaming you would mean I'd feel even the slightest bit better about losing you. That I'd at least have a way to vent this flurry of dark emotion that floods my mind every time I'm here.

When it happened, I couldn't bring myself to come here after the funeral. I couldn't bear looking at your grave because I knew that looking down at it would mean that I'd be resigning myself to the fate that you were, in fact, gone. That I'd never see you again.

Am I wrong for wanting to believe that you might come back? Now I'm just going in circles.

I'm sitting at your grave, now. I'm looking up at the sky and I know what you'd say. "Cherish it. Cherish the blue skies because they are the world's way of smiling down at you."

It's been a year. And this is the first time I've come here on a weekend when it's light out. When it's this nice out. Because all I can remember is you telling me how much you wished the sunny days would last forever and how the final time we spoke, you were saying you wanted to buy me sunglasses because they'd make me look all... distinguished and cool.

Friends. Best friends. I'd go so far as to call you the one person that I could truly consider my family outside of my family. And you're gone.

I get up after spending an hour sitting by your grave and reading your favourite book, The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde. I read it out loud on the off chance that you might be listening. There's no-one around. No-one that can really give a damn about a guy reading a book to a dead person.

I look at your grave one more time. And I'm ready to go. And I'm finally starting to accept that it wasn't my fault. That it wasn't your fault. That in this crazy world, you were the unlucky person who gets into a horrible car accident and doesn't survive. And that even though you're gone, and even though I used to tell myself that life without you was too difficult, I'm finally accepting that you being gone is just something that I have to accept.

It took me a long time to do this. But I'm walking away, now. I don't want to look back because I know it's hard enough to hold back tears when I've had to cry every single time I'm here. All I know is this one thing:

I come up to this graveyard every weekend. And I miss you.
  • Father Watson
  • Nitro Booster
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • Thanks received: 1041
https://gyazo.com/fbafb32cd9b0fe8b55a862c42ff71d9a
Login or register to post a reply.

Final Rest -A Short Story- 6 years 10 months ago #597619

ZARP Poetry Section incoming?>
  • GmodTrolla
  • Diamond Boarder
  • Thanks received: 805
Aspect wrote:
you always manage to 1 shot us even though you're extremely exposed in the open and you shouldn't really have a chance to kill us. You just make these crazy 1 taps not even Hermione did when he played, and I can tell you he played 18 hours a day at one point.

Final Rest -A Short Story- 6 years 10 months ago #597653

U
Y said short story...
  • maybedovahkitty
  • User is blocked
  • ZARP VIP
  • Бог мертв
  • Thanks received: 1226
Most people are searching for happiness. They’re looking for it. They’re trying to find it in someone or something outside of themselves. That’s a fundamental mistake. Happiness is something that you are, and it comes from the way you think.

Final Rest -A Short Story- 6 years 10 months ago #597658

Very touching. Could have had a few more details such as what the person looked like to give the reader a better idea. If you don't form the rules of the story the readers will, which you don't really want to happen. And yes it could be argued against that this isn't that kind of story where you give too many details, it's just an opinion.
  • catboy sven ツ
  • Adept Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Respected Zarp Contributor
  • Thanks received: 1544
ex-minecraft owner, zarp legend (Was there during the infancy of Zarp), ex-ssrp admin, ex-teamspeak emblem (For SSRP admin & minecraft owner)

Final Rest -A Short Story- 6 years 10 months ago #597722

I come up to this graveyard every weekend.

This graveyard is reserved for me when I die of boredom. And now... Today's the day.
  • Studio Banter
  • Marvelous Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • ❤️
  • Thanks received: 5848

Final Rest -A Short Story- 6 years 10 months ago #597798

• Hey its Alex
  • Legendary Member
  • Ex- Deathrun HA, Ex-TTT Admin x2, Ex-Surf Mod
  • Thanks received: 460

Final Rest -A Short Story- 6 years 10 months ago #597911

Damn, that's really good not gonna lie.
  • TheAp4ch3
  • Diamond Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Making ZARP great since 2013
GET SOME RIDICULOUSLY CHEAP GAMES AT www.g2a.com/r/user-55e1e47e829e4

Final Rest -A Short Story- 6 years 10 months ago #597924

i remember the time banana slanger started poetry xD
  • ParaMontana
  • User is blocked
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 3172
The following user(s) said Thank You: MichaeI

Final Rest -A Short Story- 6 years 10 months ago #597928

Roses are red
Violets are blue
EMP is hot
  • Morgan
  • Legendary Member
  • Thanks received: 6527

Legendary Spectacular Border
MAL

Final Rest -A Short Story- 6 years 10 months ago #597953

Aspect wrote:
Very touching. Could have had a few more details such as what the person looked like to give the reader a better idea. If you don't form the rules of the story the readers will, which you don't really want to happen. And yes it could be argued against that this isn't that kind of story where you give too many details, it's just an opinion.

Sorry Michael Morpurgo
  • Bazaraxe
  • Legendary Member
  • Ay-Yi-Yi-Yi-
  • Thanks received: 905

Ex Deathrun Head Admin

Final Rest -A Short Story- 6 years 10 months ago #598065

beutiful
  • Nate
  • Diamond Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Bigwhal Gaming
  • Thanks received: 501
Former Bhop Admin
Former SSRP Admin
Former TTT Admin
Former Surf Admin
Former Deathrun Admin
Former Prophunt Mod
Former Murder Admin

Final Rest -A Short Story- 6 years 10 months ago #598582

Thanks, dudes. It should be noted that I wrote this on a whim when I was listening to something fairly sombre. It took me... I think 15-30 minutes, maybe? I appreciate that this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I always find it fairly amusing seeing serious responses to things such as this.

Aspect, in regards to your feedback - you have a point... sort of. You see, there's a difference between the type of story this is, and the type of story that is built on the construct of character development. While I completely embrace and accept that some readers would rather read things that have descriptive imagery in it (and believe me, I took that into consideration), this is intended to be a short, purposely vague and mysterious piece of writing that holds true to the kind of limited exposition that defines something a little more broad in scope than your casual read. This allows the reader to build the framework; allows them to empathise while also asking questions and forming their own conclusions based on those questions. If I spoon-fed details of the person at the graveyard or the person they're visiting to the reader, it would become that much less personal - because the theme of the story is acceptance, and the harrowing mystery of death.

If it was longer, and I was planning on making it something more noteworthy like a chapter book; I'd probably include names, possible details including body-type, hair, eyes, etc. Instead, I allow the reader to take what they will from the limited information I've given. Oscar Wilde, a car accident, a fondness for blue skies, etc.

That said, thank you for the feedback, it is refreshing to see someone who knows what they like when it comes to literature.
  • Father Watson
  • Nitro Booster
  • Thanks received: 1041
https://gyazo.com/fbafb32cd9b0fe8b55a862c42ff71d9a

Final Rest -A Short Story- 6 years 10 months ago #599079

Morgan wrote:
Roses are red
Violets are blue
EMP is hot
You spelt gay wrong
  • GmodTrolla
  • Diamond Boarder
Aspect wrote:
you always manage to 1 shot us even though you're extremely exposed in the open and you shouldn't really have a chance to kill us. You just make these crazy 1 taps not even Hermione did when he played, and I can tell you he played 18 hours a day at one point.
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds

315 PLAYERS ONLINE

Connect to server View Gametracker DarkRP 1
20/127
Connect to server View Gametracker Deathrun
0/40
Connect to server View Gametracker TTT
0/47
Connect to server View Gametracker Bhop
1/32
Connect to server View Gametracker Surf