Login to ZARP
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: [TTT] MattorS

[TTT] MattorS 6 years 1 month ago #871659

Staff Member(s) Name: MattorS
Staff Member(s) SteamID: STEAM_0:0:177633343
What did the Staff Member(s) do?: Gave me a warning for discrimination, after I used the word nigger in a context that was in no way discriminatory.

Context:
Jaarix called somebody a retard. I reported him for doing so, as to use the word in a derogatory manner is discrimination, suggesting that being retarded, a serious mental health issue, makes you somehow less of a person than someone who isn't retarded.
He responded with an apology, stating that he used the word with the intent for it to just mean someone who was silly, or stupid, rather than the actual condition of retardation.
I responded that this was akin to using the word Nigger and then claiming that you simply meant someone who is silly, and doesn't follow the rules. It's clearly not a valid reason to use that word, and looks very much so like a poorly given excuse.

I was then muted for this, as apparently I had been discriminatory.
Using the word Nigger isn't discrimination in and of itself. Even so, I can understand why you wouldn't want the word used in general. So, I consider it fair enough that I was muted in this instance. I don't think it was fair that I was given a formal warning for it, considering that the context that I used it in was one that was attempting to inform someone else why their actual instance of discrimination wasn't allowed.

In addition, from the way MattorS responded, it seemed to me that originally, he wasn't actually intending to punish the person I reported for their discrimination, and only did so because I had apparently also been discriminatory, and because he wanted to punish me specifically, he felt he also had to punish Jaarix. In fact, the report I made about Jaarix using the word Retard in a derogatory manner wasn't even handled until two rounds after mine and his punishment.

I don't think I should've received the warning for this.

What server(s) was this on?: It was on the Trouble in Terrorist Town server.
Evidence:
Proof of warning puu.sh/zLNtR/d8c9285e07.png
Console logs of the interaction: puu.sh/zLNyQ/091720410f.png and puu.sh/zLNAV/5705ba637e.png
Just the important part of the logs, in plain text:
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

It seems to me that if you have a carpet ban on all words that can be used to disrespect, you should make that clear in your rules, rather than simply stating that discrimination is itself banned, because as I've pointed out, you can use the word Nigger, Faggot, etc. in ways that aren't discrimination. The most obvious example being: "Don't use Nigger, or Faggot, to insult or disrespect people, as it's against the rules." Otherwise you'd have to ban your own staff for telling people not to use those words, you know?

Saying "Using the word Retard is just as bad as saying Nigger" isn't discrimination, which is what your rules prohibit.

Cheers.
  • Codey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thanks received: 2
The topic has been locked.

[TTT] MattorS 6 years 1 month ago #871662

The community's policies dictate that you should be banned for such terms - you should be happy you got away with only a warning.
  • Raeker
  • Former Community Manager
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • It hurts the best of us
  • Thanks received: 6577
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Raeker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaAwezomeViking

[TTT] MattorS 6 years 1 month ago #871666

Raeker wrote:
The community's policies dictate that you should be banned for such terms - you should be happy you got away with only a warning.

Where is that made clear in the rules?
  • Codey
  • Fresh Boarder
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Codey.

[TTT] MattorS 6 years 1 month ago #871667

Where is that made clear in the rules?][/quote]

Post on the fourms, it was a warning to all
  • Mattors
  • Expert Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • 저는 사과를 좋아해요
  • Thanks received: 550

[TTT] MattorS 6 years 1 month ago #871669

Handling
  • LonelyDodo
  • Expert Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Carpe Noctem
  • Thanks received: 528
Ex
TTT Head Administrator
Prophunt Administrator

add me on steam: Steamcommunity.com/id/lonelydodo

[TTT] MattorS 6 years 1 month ago #871671

LeL, u still can't say the n-word, in game+forums.

+it is still discrimination, ect even if it is in quotations, ect.
  • BossComic23
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP
  • ••••?••••
  • Thanks received: 802
Steam
---
♛Ex-TTT Super Admin♛ x2
♛Ex-TTT Head Admin♛
♛Ex-Jailbreak Admin♛
♛Ex-SSRP Admin♛
♛Ex-SSRP Moderator♛
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by BossComic23.

[TTT] MattorS 6 years 1 month ago #871678

MattorS wrote:
Where is that made clear in the rules?]

Post on the fourms, it was a warning to all[/quote]

Where is that made clear in the rules? Not to be pedantic, but when we join the server, we're told to go and read the rules, now prowl through the forums reading every post that has ever been made. If you make something a warnable offence, we should know that because it's against the rules, and therefore written in the rules.

Again, saying Nigger in and of itself isn't discrimination.
  • Codey
  • Fresh Boarder

[TTT] MattorS 6 years 1 month ago #871679

"In fact, the report I made about Jaarix using the word Retard in a derogatory manner wasn't even handled until two rounds after mine and his punishment."

Well as is shown but your chat logs, I punished Jaarix immediately after punishing you, the actual report was just set to finish as I had already handled it, this is a completely irrelevant point to bring up
  • Mattors
  • Expert Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • 저는 사과를 좋아해요
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Mattors.

[TTT] MattorS 6 years 1 month ago #871681

MattorS wrote:
"In fact, the report I made about Jaarix using the word Retard in a derogatory manner wasn't even handled until two rounds after mine and his punishment."

Well as is shown but your chat logs, I punished Jaarix immediately after punishing you, the actual report was just set to finish as I had already handled it, this is a completely irrelevant point to bring up

It's relevant to this part of my OP,
In addition, from the way MattorS responded, it seemed to me that originally, he wasn't actually intending to punish the person I reported for their discrimination, and only did so because I had apparently also been discriminatory, and because he wanted to punish me specifically, he felt he also had to punish Jaarix. In fact, the report I made about Jaarix using the word Retard in a derogatory manner wasn't even handled until two rounds after mine and his punishment.
  • Codey
  • Fresh Boarder

[TTT] MattorS 6 years 1 month ago #871683

Codey wrote:
MattorS wrote:

I was on there when this happened. He did his job well and you both got warned for being racist and being disrespectful towards others.
  • VyTeXx
  • Legendary Member
  • Legendary Cookie
  • Thanks received: 274

[TTT] MattorS 6 years 1 month ago #871684

VyTeXx wrote:
Codey wrote:
MattorS wrote:

I was on there when this happened. He did his job well and you both got warned for being racist and being disrespectful towards others.

Who was I disrespectful towards, exactly? You may aswell claim that when you search for the word Nigger, Google is racist for showing that the word even exists.
  • Codey
  • Fresh Boarder
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Codey.

[TTT] MattorS 6 years 1 month ago #871687

We have a 0 tolerance policy, you can be punished no matter the context. I only opted not to ban you because you didn't use it in a derogatory context but I am still well within my rights to warn and either gag/mute you
  • Mattors
  • Expert Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • 저는 사과를 좋아해요
The following user(s) said Thank You: VyTeXx

[TTT] MattorS 6 years 1 month ago #871688

MattorS wrote:
We have a 0 tolerance policy, you can be punished no matter the context. I only opted not to ban you because you didn't use it in a derogatory context but I am still well within my rights to warn and either gag/mute you

Then this should be made clear in the rules that we're required to read, rather than it having to be learnt via punishment in-game. I don't see how anyone can be punished for breaking a rule that isn't written down in the rules.
  • Codey
  • Fresh Boarder

[TTT] MattorS 6 years 1 month ago #871692

Handling
  • Nick0GR
  • Marvelous Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 3308

GD+Server Apps Section staff
TS3+Discord Staff
Bhop Super admin
TTT Super admin
Discord: Nick0GR#9038
ex
TTT Super admin
Murder Super admin
PropHunt Head admin
Deathrun admin
SSRP admin
TeamSpeak staff
Server apps + appeal section moderator
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Nick0GR. Reason: I'm blind
The following user(s) said Thank You: VyTeXx

[TTT] MattorS 6 years 1 month ago #871696

Nick0GR wrote:
Handling
Isn't lonelydodo handling it?
  • VyTeXx
  • Legendary Member
  • Legendary Cookie
  • Thanks received: 274
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by VyTeXx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redacted

[TTT] MattorS 6 years 1 month ago #871699

VyTeXx wrote:
Nick0GR wrote:
Handling
Isn't lonelydodo handling it?

He is handling now
  • LonelyDodo
  • Expert Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Carpe Noctem
  • Thanks received: 528
Ex
TTT Head Administrator
Prophunt Administrator

add me on steam: Steamcommunity.com/id/lonelydodo

The following user(s) said Thank You: VyTeXx, Nick0GR

[TTT] MattorS 6 years 1 month ago #871701

Codey wrote:
MattorS wrote:
Where is that made clear in the rules?

Post on the fourms, it was a warning to all

Where is that made clear in the rules? Not to be pedantic, but when we join the server, we're told to go and read the rules, now prowl through the forums reading every post that has ever been made. If you make something a warnable offence, we should know that because it's against the rules, and therefore written in the rules.

Again, saying xxxxxx in and of itself isn't discrimination.

I hope you like the colour brown
  • Bazaraxe
  • Legendary Member
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • Ay-Yi-Yi-Yi-
  • Thanks received: 905

Ex Deathrun Head Admin

Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Bazaraxe.

[TTT] MattorS 6 years 1 month ago #871703

Hello Codey,
after reviewing your report and talking to MattorS as well as LonelyDodo I have decided to deny this. In no way shape or form is the N-word allowed on our server regardless of if you use it in a discriminatory context or not. The word it's self is racist and here on Zarp, we have no tolerance for any form of harassment/discrimination. Consider yourself lucky not to be banned for this as it was within MattorS' power to do so.

This has been:
#Denied
  • Nick0GR
  • Marvelous Boarder
  • ZARP VIP
  • Thanks received: 3308

GD+Server Apps Section staff
TS3+Discord Staff
Bhop Super admin
TTT Super admin
Discord: Nick0GR#9038
ex