Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Admin abuse: Eddie

Admin abuse: Eddie 6 years 3 weeks ago #897122

Duro the Dawg wrote:
a·ble·ism
ˈābəˌlizəm/
noun
noun: ableism; noun: ablism
discrimination in favor of able-bodied people.

So let me explain how it's not discrimination. Ableism is like if I said "People with a full functioning brain(not eddie) are so much cooler than retards, so I will not let any people in the tower that are medically and clinically proven to have some kind of mental deficiency." Obviously, that's pretty specific, but calling somebody "retarded" is the same as calling somebody "black" or "blonde" or " tall" or "small". If I call you tall it doesn't mean that I'm discriminating against all tall people. It's simply an obvservation. Now, "Retard" may classify as profanity, if you let it, so if that's your case then you can easily say that, but it's not discrimination.
Sorry, I read over this part. If it makes you any happier I figure I might as well pick your comment apart and tell you how you are the wrong one here.

You are correct in saying that retard does not have anything, or at the very least very little to do with ableism. It was also not the term thatI would have personally used in this context.

However as much as you claim to explain how it isn't discriminatory all you actually do is explain why it isn't ableism, something I agree with. Everything after that isn't a statement but pure opinionised biases.

The argument that you calling someone "retarded" is the same as calling someone "tall" is stupid. One is an observation, the other is an insult. Retarded also implies that someone is daft or just plain wrong in the head. It is without a doubt disrespect, which is also a bannable offense.

The discrimination part is a little more vague. It is also because of this that I wouldn't ban a user for saying "retarded" ("retarded" is in some circles also known as the 'r-word', so trust me when I say that some people are seriously offended by this). Basically you could argue that calling someone a retard classes them in a sub-human category. The use of the word implies that these people are not worth anyone's time, especially not your own. Although I personally don't exactly see it this way, it can still be classed as discrimination or at the very least disrespect. And both are very much punishable.
  • Raeker
  • Former Community Manager
  • ZARP VIP Golden Blue Badge
  • It hurts the best of us
  • Thanks received: 6577
The topic has been locked.
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds

189 PLAYERS ONLINE

Connect to server View Gametracker DarkRP 1
8/127
Connect to server View Gametracker Deathrun
2/40